7.3 Engine Build Disaster

Black 02

Reaction score
oh wow... not what you wanted to see. Will they let you to be present at the disassembly? Good luck!

It's going to a third party shop to do the disassembly. I've been through enough with the previous shop. I'm not about to go back. I've talked to other shops and gotten legal advice and they said enough is enough. The third party shop will document everything and allow the previous builder to come and see the findings.

I could probably be present, but it makes me sick to my stomach. The time and money and heartburn this has caused me is over the top. I just need to move forward to keep my sanity.

DocBar

Reaction score
Sorry for the delayed response.

Well, I'm taking my engine in for disassembly and analysis tomorrow. I pulled it out and stripped most of the accessories off of it. Out of curiosity, I pulled the pan on it since I used the Moroso gasket. On a side note, that gasket is sahweeet. I highly recommend it.

Upon pulling the pan off, I found a layer probably 1/4 inch thick or thicker of metal shavings over the entire sump. Both ferrous and non ferrous. Truly sickening. The engine is junk. I just pray that it didn't jack my Carillo rods up.

I'll be curious to find out what the shop finds wrong with it.

This engine had less than 5000 miles on it and it's basically scrap metal. This fiasco has been a complete disaster.
Why do you think the block is junk? If the cylinder walls are good and there aren't any cracks, you could just be looking at replacing a piston and some bearings. Rebalance/blueprint, reassemble and you're back in business.

Black 02

Reaction score
Why do you think the block is junk? If the cylinder walls are good and there aren't any cracks, you could just be looking at replacing a piston and some bearings. Rebalance/blueprint, reassemble and you're back in business.

Sorry Doc, I didn't mean the block is junk. I probably didn't use the best language.

Yes, I'm hoping it's just bearings and rebalance and like you said, maybe a piston. The block should be OK. I hope it is. It just needs to be cleaned thoroughly.

Only thing I'm debating doing now is a cam. Didn't do it originally. Some shyed me away from them. Now I'm starting to second guess that. Some people seem to like the results. Also thinking about switching the shimmed 910s to maybe some beehive springs.

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
Sorry Doc, I didn't mean the block is junk. I probably didn't use the best language.

Yes, I'm hoping it's just bearings and rebalance and like you said, maybe a piston. The block should be OK. I hope it is. It just needs to be cleaned thoroughly.

Only thing I'm debating doing now is a cam. Didn't do it originally. Some shyed me away from them. Now I'm starting to second guess that. Some people seem to like the results. Also thinking about switching the shimmed 910s to maybe some beehive springs.

Definitely ditch the shimmed 910s, you will be very glad that you did!

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
A comp cams behive style spring that requires no shim and has no chance of coil bind in a 7.3 application. The locks and keepers that come in the kit are also highly superior.

When you have that kind of money in a motor it would be silly to go with a $90 set of springs

gnxtc2

Reaction score
A comp cams behive style spring that requires no shim and has no chance of coil bind in a 7.3 application. The locks and keepers that come in the kit are also highly superior.

When you have that kind of money in a motor it would be silly to go with a $90 set of springs

I totally agree but there is some type of secret of getting the correct part numbers for the beehive springs, locks, locators/retainers and seals.

All spring heights should be checked, some shimming might be necessary.

Billy T.
[email protected]

Krause

Reaction score

I totally agree but there is some type of secret of getting the correct part numbers for the beehive springs, locks, locators/retainers and seals.

All spring heights should be checked, some shimming might be necessary.

Billy T.
[email protected]

Agreed, would love it if someone would finally say, this is the kit/part numbers, this is where to buy them, and you dont need to do anything other than put them in. Ive read head work need to be done to fit them? What is the exact process and what materials do you need to accomplish it?

gnxtc2

Reaction score

Agreed, would love it if someone would finally say, this is the kit/part numbers, this is where to buy them, and you dont need to do anything other than put them in. Ive read head work need to be done to fit them? What is the exact process and what materials do you need to accomplish it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yd0fBXwDBmo

Billy T.
[email protected]

Last edited:

DocBar

Reaction score

I'm definitely happy with DI's cam.