7.3 headers....

silverpsd_06

Reaction score
Stainless for longevity is the better option but the draw back is the material itself is so damn hard that the heat cycles make it ”pull” allot harder than mild steel if your going to use stainless butt welds well not work out for very long bevel the joints and you should be alright

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
321SS is where it is at for a high quality material to make high quality, high temperature turbo headers. I wouldn't run any other stainless other than 321. I understand being able to get food grade 316 piping relatively cheap.

A lot of guys run carbon steel tubing just for cost purposes - they know they will be constantly changing and tweaking things around so the longer life of stainless isn't a benefit and the cost justification isn't there.

OSCS

Reaction score
321SS is where it is at for a high quality material to make high quality, high temperature turbo headers. I wouldn't run any other stainless other than 321. I understand being able to get food grade 316 piping relatively cheap.

A lot of guys run carbon steel tubing just for cost purposes - they know they will be constantly changing and tweaking things around so the longer life of stainless isn't a benefit and the cost justification isn't there.

I think I'm sold on 316ss for daily driving "low heat" as in no pulling/towing and the occasional trip to the strip. 321 is very hard to find and very expensive for me.

farm boy

Reaction score
I think I'm sold on 316ss for daily driving "low heat" as in no pulling/towing and the occasional trip to the strip. 321 is very hard to find and very expensive for me.

Not that hard. Try Multalloy, or South West Stainless. They are both in Houston. Also, Texas Pipe & Supply.

OSCS

Reaction score
Not that hard. Try Multalloy, or South West Stainless. They are both in Houston. Also, Texas Pipe & Supply.

I guess I'm jut being difficult about it because I get weatherford pricing on all metal. 316ss/1020 DOM are a few I have used in the past for various projects and can get a fantastic price on them and delivered to my work for free. They don't use 321ss very much so I can't get it delivered for free or a very good price on it, guess I'm jut spoiled.

farm boy

Reaction score
I guess I'm jut being difficult about it because I get weatherford pricing on all metal. 316ss/1020 DOM are a few I have used in the past for various projects and can get a fantastic price on them and delivered to my work for free. They don't use 321ss very much so I can't get it delivered for free or a very good price on it, guess I'm jut spoiled.

I totally understand. I get the same treatment where I work...

OSCS

Reaction score
Lol, quarter inch wall? LOL

nah 1" LOL id love to have a set that thick and I have everything to do so. Reality is i'll probably never get around to building a set becuase i just dont care that much but if/when i do its .240 for the fun of it

Last edited: