7.3 headers....

silverpsd_06

Reaction score
I have seen alot of people build "log" type manifolds alot with four straight pipes running into one collector... That seems like a serious cluster**** to me there is no particular flow to it just pressure that has to go somewhere. Seems like it wouldn't promote any type of faster spool or ridding itself of the exhaust gas any quicker.

Now what if a guy was to take a piece of two inch stainless 316l one 90* and three 45*'s per side put the 90* up front with a sharp turn into the collector which is just a piece of 2" then 45* each cylinder after that to all flow the same direction to the turbine. My thought behind this is using the exhaust pulse from the front cylinder to help clear the remaining 3 cylinders by causing a vacuum as the gas passes by. I can't think of the name for what im trying to do but it seems like a pretty simple concept.

If someone has already tried this and it failed miserably please chime in on why it won't work. Any other thoughts or something im missing that makes it more complex than what it looks like?

steedspeed

Reaction score
I have seen alot of people build "log" type manifolds alot with four straight pipes running into one collector... That seems like a serious cluster**** to me there is no particular flow to it just pressure that has to go somewhere. Seems like it wouldn't promote any type of faster spool or ridding itself of the exhaust gas any quicker.

Now what if a guy was to take a piece of two inch stainless 316l one 90* and three 45*'s per side put the 90* up front with a sharp turn into the collector which is just a piece of 2" then 45* each cylinder after that to all flow the same direction to the turbine. My thought behind this is using the exhaust pulse from the front cylinder to help clear the remaining 3 cylinders by causing a vacuum as the gas passes by. I can't think of the name for what im trying to do but it seems like a pretty simple concept.

If someone has already tried this and it failed miserably please chime in on why it won't work. Any other thoughts or something im missing that makes it more complex than what it looks like?

You are describing my manifolds. They make vacuum on the other cylinders and flow very well. Only problem is they don't seem to work well with all VGT turbos. Some guys have great results and some manage to lose power so I'm not sure if you would gain or not at this point.

OSCS

Reaction score

I'm having a hard time picturing this. Do you have any pictures of this same design on another application?

TARM

Reaction score
Originally Posted by silverpsd_06 View Post

You trying to explain cylinder scavenging I think.

silverpsd_06

Reaction score
Yes that's the the term I was going after thank you tarm.. Basically you start at say drivers side front exhaust port with a ninety degree elbow pointing straight back with a two inch pipe running level with the rest of the exhaust Ports you pick up the next port with a 45 angled back towards the next cut it to fit around the two inch weld it in place and so on until you mate up with the uppies. I'm thinking you may have to split the collector in two to blow the holes out and clean them up to work then weld the other half back together once you exit the Ports. If you can picture that any better.. I don't have any actual pictures of it unless someone else has done it

co04cobra

Reaction score
Im going to sub in on this one. Ive put off headers for 2 yrs just because it seems to be so hit or miss about them holding up.

Everything I always read people said they did help spool up and lower egts. However, I dont have the time (or the want) to have to pull them off after every other sled or dyno pull.

I think it was posted earlier, but the guys that seem to have the ones that are holding up are the older ones. Somebody has to be able to come out with a set that will last long term. The price is not going to be cheap on a good quaility set of headers. If they would for sure hold up I think people could stomach the price easier. JMO.

OSCS

Reaction score
I think I can wrap my mind around that a little better but I'd love to see a picture if anyone has one

TARM

Reaction score
Seth,

I am like you have been holding off. For me really no other reason than the cost to perf benefit was rather low and others things were in front of it that were more worthwhile.

I would say if you do not have water injection yet I would add that next as I think it will be a direct benefit to header longevity.

From everything I have been told and seen the overwhelming reason for both cracks in the welds and warping seems to be high EGT related. 2K plus and the chances of issues goes up in fold. Keep things 1800 and under things look much better. Lower yet and even better. Do water and you have the tools to keep even a heavy fueled tune cooled down enough or at the very least lower than it would be thus increasing duty life of the headers.

Just a thought anyways. The lower egts, more complete combustion, lower NOX emission, a small bump in power and fuel economy for water only injection and the increased life of other parts from the lower egts seems like worthwhile benefits for me.

I was hoping to find a used set of headers but looks like I will end up having to go new. Might wait for a set from Steed if they will happen in the next few months. Maybe before or near the new year.

steedspeed

Reaction score
If I can work out what is happening with the 6.0/6.4 then I will make some for the 7.3

TARM

Reaction score
Well if the issue is only with VGT next to no 7.3s are running a VGT so not sure that is any issue for the 7.3.

BlueOvalDiesel

Reaction score
Just a fyi if you want a good set of gas headers for a big block plan on spending 500-600 bucks. The cheap ones will warp and crack. so 1000 for the diesel ones doesn't seem too far out considering stainless and thicker material yet. And some of you might be on to something with mild steel instead of stainless. You don't see too many or any at all stanless headers for gas trucks. I have a set for a 460 that are zinc coated and its a very nice and durable coating that will last so your headers don't go to ****.

ken6881

Reaction score
any one thought of adding a bellow in the middle of the two longer ones to keep stress from expansion from heat being as much?

I plan make a set this winter bought a block to mock them up on last weekend

Latest posts

Members online