7.3 internals

pilot4life

Reaction score
I'm so sick of the sound my 38R makes I'd almost give it away. I wish Pius would get back to me on the primary turbo so I could finish my compound set up.

I was in Barnesville Georgia 3 weeks ago and now I'm in Long Beach, Ca. Pulling a 5er 1600miles then driving another 800 miles in that time frame might have something to do with it. :)

Given thought to installing an AIS? May help keep the noise down.

85_305

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
I disagree and yes there are a lot of V's in the shipping industry, depends on the application. You and I are not going to come to a conclusion on this and there may not be one. My seat of the pants with a comparable displacement and fuel system is that the I6 is stronger. That is all I need to make a engine decision.

I don't think your repair generalizations are accurate either. You need to have some context, are we talking about a 1980 Cummins or a 2012, or a IDI vs. a Scorpion? The available space become the pain with repairs.

Emissions have nothing to do with configuration....

Seat of the pants and real world dynamics are two very different thing. But yes the main reason v8's went away in OTR vehicles is emissions. Detroit hates i6's, and so does Mack and those 2 were v-series fanatics, but due to emissions they had to move away from V-series diesels.

And I'm talking about modern diesels, an inline is easier to fix on the side of the road than a complex v-series diesel is.

POWER-STRUCK

Reaction score
Seat of the pants and real world dynamics are two very different thing. But yes the main reason v8's went away in OTR vehicles is emissions. Detroit hates i6's, and so does Mack and those 2 were v-series fanatics, but due to emissions they had to move away from V-series diesels.

And I'm talking about modern diesels, an inline is easier to fix on the side of the road than a complex v-series diesel is.

this is news to me i didn't realize a v8 diesel burns diesel fuel in a different fashion than a I6 diesel to make emissions. i wonder how gasoline engines can make emissions with a v series engine? this information is astounding maybe we should pass this wealth of knowledge on to ford motor company, isuzu, and navistar. the EPA should be let into this secret also so they can put bans on the production of V-series engines

85_305

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
this is news to me i didn't realize a v8 diesel burns diesel fuel in a different fashion than a I6 diesel to make emissions. i wonder how gasoline engines can make emissions with a v series engine? this information is astounding maybe we should pass this wealth of knowledge on to ford motor company, isuzu, and navistar. the EPA should be let into this secret also so they can put bans on the production of V-series engines

If you dont know that Mack and Detroit stopped producing v-series diesels due to emissions crunches that they couldn't meet until they went inline, just stop now.

Also, why do the 6.7 v8 powerstrokes need urea but 6.7 inline cummins dont? No, I'm sure it has nothing to do with their head configurations.

psduser1

Reaction score

Do you ever listen to anybody?:postwhore2::doh:

POWER-STRUCK

Reaction score
If you dont know that Mack and Detroit stopped producing v-series diesels due to emissions crunches that they couldn't meet until they went inline, just stop now.

Also, why do the 6.7 v8 powerstrokes need urea but 6.7 inline cummins dont? No, I'm sure it has nothing to do with their head configurations.

thanks genius! it comes down to cleaning the filter, use urea to clean it instead of pouring diesel fuel in the exhaust and killing the fuel economy
http://www.cummins.com/cmi/displayM...ingSystem&dtPublishDate=2011-11-16+08:45:00.0

85_305

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Last edited:

85_305

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
You realize this has nothing to do with the OP. Take ur derail and gtfo

sent while trying not to JJ My rods!!!!!!

Indeed it doesn't. In fact, it relates to a totally unrelated post that power-struck made.

take your mouth and get sucking bud. Thats no way to speak to a person you've never met before.

Project20v

Reaction score
AIS? Air Intake System? I have an AirAid right now.

I used the Ford AIS in an attempt to quiet down my 38r, but it didn't work. It's not the whistle that is loud it a resonating sound at cruise, like a howl or siren noise. I had it straight piped and installed a muffler too and that made the howl about 20%? quieter.

I did not really care for the AIS, even with a new filter the restriction gauge would go to 20 on the first pull. No dirt got past the filter though.

DocBar

Reaction score
I used the Ford AIS in an attempt to quiet down my 38r, but it didn't work. It's not the whistle that is loud it a resonating sound at cruise, like a howl or siren noise. I had it straight piped and installed a muffler too and that made the howl about 20%? quieter.

I did not really care for the AIS, even with a new filter the restriction gauge would go to 20 on the first pull. No dirt got past the filter though.
I've got a GQSSB waiting to go on the truck when I get the primary from Bell. I'll just live with the sound til then.

Reaction score
I just bought a stage 1 cam from Matt @ Gear head automotive and i couldn't be happier with his help/ customer service. He is still answering any/ all my questions about my build even the ones that have nothing to do with his cam i would strongly recommend doing business with him.

casper7.3

Reaction score
Ok guys im thinkin of doin a complete build some time after i fab up a set of compounds. Fuel and air is really easy to find parts for even headers are easy to find. Im having hell finding "performance" internals for the 7.3s. Any ideas guys also a good cam and are there any performance heads out there for this engine? I know all this exists in the 5.9 world and i know for a fact people have done this to 7.3s also what dose it realy take to reach 500hp with the right compound set up and the right injectors some good tunes i should be there right? I know for a fact i will need studs and springs and tranny upgrades. My end goal down the road is 900hp on spray... but that's for a later day

Im looking for some info as well. I'm wanting to build a motor soon too. Although i just read through about ten pages of crap doing a search for ported heads, I did see and learn of a few people to contact for more information. thanks for making this post. I hope your build goes well.

DocBar

Reaction score
Im looking for some info as well. I'm wanting to build a motor soon too. Although i just read through about ten pages of crap doing a search for ported heads, I did see and learn of a few people to contact for more information. thanks for making this post. I hope your build goes well.
David Lott builds a helluva motor and Swamps does, too.

Building a 7.3 that can handle that kind of power is very expensive. If you can do the assembly and install yourself, you're still looking at ~$12K+.

If I ever do another full build in a 7.3(not too likely) I'll get the Swamps competition build with their bed plate and block fill. If I ever have to pull my current motor, for any reason, I'll be adding their bed plate and block fill.

Lots of guys on here will agree that a low to mid 500rwhp truck is plenty of fun and easier to maintain and keep running than one than will make and survive 900rwhp.

TyCorr

Reaction score
All of this could potentially change if injection system swaps become more common. Our injection system is the source of much trouble.

Latest posts

Members online