7.3 OBS Build: Gloria

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
looks good man.. way to use uou head on the thermostat housing!! i might even try that and use a obs hose.. i hate that i have to take the hose off to do a serpentine belt change... butni guess i dont do that often...

live life full throttle

ghohouston

Reaction score
looks good man.. way to use uou head on the thermostat housing!! i might even try that and use a obs hose.. i hate that i have to take the hose off to do a serpentine belt change... butni guess i dont do that often...

live life full throttle

I thought if you install an e99 specific hose, that issue was resolved?

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
The dual 6637? Got a pic of that? I'm interested to see how you did that.
i have a thread on it is you want to try the search function.. just type dual 6637 or donaldson or something. i dojt feel like finding it. theres pics in there. its an old thread.

live life full throttle

Krause

Reaction score
A quick update here guys,

To address the above question, it seems to drive well! I honestly dont have a boost gauge hooked up at the moment because it isnt working on the interceptor and I havnt figured it out yet. But EGT's are 700 cruising empty on highway. Transmission isnt going to last I know that already.

There was one big issue that I got sorted out that I feel like everyone should know about. When I first got it back together, I was having an issue with the truck bucking in the hot tune at full throttle. To make a long story short, the MAP sensor didnt like getting Crammed with boost, and was causing some issues. There is a bit of info on this hanging around. The consensus is that on OBS's (which have a frequency based MAP) do Not have the ability to de-fuel when the MAP sensor see too much boost, they only throw a code. The SD's on the other hand, can de fuel (as well as overboost code). Being an OBS, I didnt understand why it would be defueling, but it turns out on OBS, the MAP sensor dosnt like getting so much boost, and starts sending erratic signal to the PCM, which causes the bucking, so it is defueling, but not on purpose, more of a symptom of loosing connection with PCM for a second.

^All that said, I bought a boost fooler from Riffraff diesel, and the bucking went away right away.

Seems this issue is a bit inconsistent, some people never see it (their MAP sensor isnt sensitive) and some people like me, do see the issue. Anyways, I digress, it works now.

Still need to get some tuning sorted out. It hangs in 1st and bangs the rev limiter a couple times before it shifts. Also, I think the economy tune was written with some fierce inhibition under 160 * EOT. I understand some tuners do this to help protect stuff, but the truck cant even get up the hill out of my house until its warmed up. (The home owners association wont be pleased with me warming up for 10 mins everyday..).

Other than that, just getting all the little things sorted out. 1 thing every night pretty much. I'll post some more videos when I get a chance.

rusty1161

Reaction score
A quick update here guys,

To address the above question, it seems to drive well! I honestly dont have a boost gauge hooked up at the moment because it isnt working on the interceptor and I havnt figured it out yet. But EGT's are 700 cruising empty on highway. Transmission isnt going to last I know that already.

There was one big issue that I got sorted out that I feel like everyone should know about. When I first got it back together, I was having an issue with the truck bucking in the hot tune at full throttle. To make a long story short, the MAP sensor didnt like getting Crammed with boost, and was causing some issues. There is a bit of info on this hanging around. The consensus is that on OBS's (which have a frequency based MAP) do Not have the ability to de-fuel when the MAP sensor see too much boost, they only throw a code. The SD's on the other hand, can de fuel (as well as overboost code). Being an OBS, I didnt understand why it would be defueling, but it turns out on OBS, the MAP sensor dosnt like getting so much boost, and starts sending erratic signal to the PCM, which causes the bucking, so it is defueling, but not on purpose, more of a symptom of loosing connection with PCM for a second.

^All that said, I bought a boost fooler from Riffraff diesel, and the bucking went away right away.

Seems this issue is a bit inconsistent, some people never see it (their MAP sensor isnt sensitive) and some people like me, do see the issue. Anyways, I digress, it works now.

Still need to get some tuning sorted out. It hangs in 1st and bangs the rev limiter a couple times before it shifts. Also, I think the economy tune was written with some fierce inhibition under 160 * EOT. I understand some tuners do this to help protect stuff, but the truck cant even get up the hill out of my house until its warmed up. (The home owners association wont be pleased with me warming up for 10 mins everyday..).

Other than that, just getting all the little things sorted out. 1 thing every night pretty much. I'll post some more videos when I get a chance.

I have an Interceptor on my 1997 PSD, too. I read boost by having selected "Boost 2". For some reason it reads -2.0 at idle.

Rusty

97stoker350

Reaction score
i had the same bucking issue you had and i had to put a fooler on it also. for some reason my tunes dont let me go anywhere until a certain rpm/speed in first also. no matter if its warm or not. gonna have to get that revised. Goodluck with it!

Krause

Reaction score
Ok guys, I'll add a small update here.

First, I need to reiterate that I needed a boost fooler in this truck to sort out the bucking I was getting at WOT. It didnt throw a CEL light or anything, but as I mentioned before, apparently the MAP sensor dosnt like getting crammed with boost and the signal to the PCM was becoming erratic, which would cause a buck. A boost fooler from Riffraff and that was sorted.

With the weather changing, wheels got the summertime treatment, and finally finished installing gauges for the 5th time, Never seem to be particularly happy with how they look.

IMG_1578_zps96oijpzi.jpg

I also need to put in a shameless plug for Dave at Veggiegarge (veggiegarge.com). As some of you know, this truck is a veggi oil truck and thus has some unique features with the fuel system. Dave is a great resource for anything Veggie related, and many of the stuff he deals with makes for great parts on any truck. For example...

Dave got me lined up with the premade stainless line with clear cover for even more protection.

Here is the front of the motor where the main diesel line feeds into (and a check valve).

DSC_0262_zpshphcsjtl.jpg

That comes up the a 6an Tee, and then the two stainless lines each go to the back of each head.

DSC_0263_zpseicqnwr5.jpg

Like so

DSC_0264_zps2yowd5lv.jpg

Likewise, on the other side, the main veggie feed attaches here, and those two lines feed the front of the head (veggie line also has a check valve).

DSC_0265_zpsvxunimyn.jpg

At any rate, Dave supplies these stainless lines in any length, and pretty much any size with whatever fittings you want. You just tell him and they get done up, that's how I did this setup.

I also wanted to try out some Tony Wildman tunes, so he sent me a few files :shocked:. Truck runs really well.

Here is a video of one hit on Saturday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEPTFnnarV0&feature=youtu.be

Haha, video dosnt do it justice, sure does feel like there's a lot more going on inside the truck. But the end results are:

-Makes 41psi of boost empty, might have made more but I have to drive at the same time.

-It dosnt have raw tire shredding power to just roll into it and be buying tires, at least not enough to break 35's loose, but it's still just an old 7.3 turd.
-(when you work for many many hours by yourself in the winter, your mind constructs a mythical rendition of how much power it's gonna have. It goes, but it aint the Street beast from Street outlaws... which is kinda what I had started imagining it was gonna be :doh:).

-WOT on AE is reading 3.9 volts. So I think the TPS needs a bit of adjusting. From what I have read, 3.9 volts is leaving ~0.5 volts on the big end, so that may make for a bit more tranny destruction potential.

Anyways, that's what I got. Still tweaking and getting suspension perfect, but it drives and it spins both tires, that's a win ?

-Andrew

Last edited:

mandkole

Reaction score
Looks great and youre sneaking up on it being done! Shredding tires is overrated anyway... they all do it given enough encouragement. (Although there are a couple of 4 way stops near the house that have pairs of marks left from wot 1-2 shift with TC lock. lol)

TyCorr

Reaction score
Krause- just how mine was with 35s and 175/80s. Mine seemed a little more willing to spin the 35s once I stepped up to a 20" wheel. The decreased sidewall flex lets you overpower the traction easier.

I had to go to a 250/200 to get that tire burning off the line you speak of. But my truck is heavier. With those injectors and a 38r I can mat it at a stop, no brake input, and burn rubber into a smoke show...

If its not hot and the tires arent super hot it'll burn rubber at 35 mph if you stab the throttle. Im also leaving power on the table so dialed in it'd rip n tear. While cool ive got too much sentimental value attached to mine to tear it up. Ad im sure you dont want to but would like the power to do so there.

Your truck seems to run very well and thats good enough to me. That truck is perfect, not gor its age or any other bs, its perfect even compared to brand new trucks. Its got a classic appeal but is timeless. You pulled off a miracle in building this truck. Its amazing (I don't use that word loosely).

Krause

Reaction score
Looks great and youre sneaking up on it being done! Shredding tires is overrated anyway... they all do it given enough encouragement. (Although there are a couple of 4 way stops near the house that have pairs of marks left from wot 1-2 shift with TC lock. lol)

Hmm, I wonder if I should look into wiring up the manual TC lock switch for this type of thing…

Krause- just how mine was with 35s and 175/80s. Mine seemed a little more willing to spin the 35s once I stepped up to a 20" wheel. The decreased sidewall flex lets you overpower the traction easier.

I had to go to a 250/200 to get that tire burning off the line you speak of. But my truck is heavier. With those injectors and a 38r I can mat it at a stop, no brake input, and burn rubber into a smoke show...

If its not hot and the tires arent super hot it'll burn rubber at 35 mph if you stab the throttle. Im also leaving power on the table so dialed in it'd rip n tear. While cool ive got too much sentimental value attached to mine to tear it up. Ad im sure you dont want to but would like the power to do so there.

Your truck seems to run very well and thats good enough to me. That truck is perfect, not gor its age or any other bs, its perfect even compared to brand new trucks. Its got a classic appeal but is timeless. You pulled off a miracle in building this truck. Its amazing (I don't use that word loosely).

Thank you sir! Very kind words. I obviously know the little flaws and such with it, but it is nice to hear other people think it's a decent truck.

Latest posts

Members online