7.3 obs or SD, or just go up to 6.0?

ithumpwheniwalk

Reaction score
Explain broke? My truck has 230k on it and has made over 100 passes at the track around 30 of them at over 600 hp and haven't had a single issue that bulletproofing and a trans won't take care of.

Not sure what broke. Don't really care. I've driven over 30 different 6.0's the majority of them under 1000km on the odometer. Of those vehicles I can think of at least 7 times they left us stranded on the side of the road. We had a 3 1/2 hour commute through a whole lot of empty country, and when you're broke down you're stuck. IMO they're not reliable.

These were rental vehicles, and the maintenance was top notch. Our company demanded it, and we usually got the vehicles before they were given to the general public.

If the OP is shooting for ~450 or so hp why not a 7.3? Obviously if you're looking for more than that and being reliable, it might benefit to find another engine platform to build... and fwiw just bought a 99 forged rod motor complete, running, and ready to drop in for $300. Can't go wrong.

Last edited:

swinky

Reaction score
Not sure what broke. Don't really care. I've driven over 30 different 6.0's the majority of them under 1000km on the odometer. Of those vehicles I can think of at least 7 times they left us stranded on the side of the road. We had a 3 1/2 hour commute through a whole lot of empty country, and when you're broke down you're stuck. IMO they're not reliable.

These were rental vehicles, and the maintenance was top notch. Our company demanded it, and we usually got the vehicles before they were given to the general public.

If the OP is shooting for ~450 or so hp why not a 7.3? Obviously if you're looking for more than that and being reliable, it might benefit to find another engine platform to build... and fwiw just bought a 99 forged rod motor complete, running, and ready to drop in for $300. Can't go wrong.
Of the four in my family not a single one of us has been left stranded. I guarantee half of your break downs were icp sensors. Unplug the damn thing and roll on. If you don't know what you're working with don't bitch when you're left stranded.

ithumpwheniwalk

Reaction score
Of the four in my family not a single one of us has been left stranded. I guarantee half of your break downs were icp sensors. Unplug the damn thing and roll on. If you don't know what you're working with don't bitch when you're left stranded.

heh... i can guarantee you that most of the failures were catastrophic. Trust me, in the middle of nowhere and no cell reception, we drive them to failure. Blown turbos, blown head gaskets, etc. Please don't assume you know wtf you are talking about when you don't. You aren't guaranteeing ME anything.

cbf9703

Reaction score

There are plenty of small issues that come up, but I've personally had to tow 2 back to the shop for friends that were stranded with blown HG. regardless of platform, they can all have issues.

Last edited:

swinky

Reaction score
heh... i can guarantee you that most of the failures were catastrophic. Trust me, in the middle of nowhere and no cell reception, we drive them to failure. Blown turbos, blown head gaskets, etc. Please don't assume you know wtf you are talking about when you don't. You aren't guaranteeing ME anything.
Alright man. Keep humping the 7.3s and I'll keep humping the 6.0s.

Wasn't trying to disrespect you at all.

TyCorr

Reaction score
My work truck 6l was a turd like that. Towed it 13 times in under a year and the steel erection company sold the ten or so of them and went back to cummins. This is almost ten years later. Up until 5 years ago there was no "recipe for fixing the 6l". Now everybody knows how its done. Unfortunately it was troublesome until the last of them were out of warranty and its painted as such.

Also a rental company doesnt allow to just unplug engine control sensors to keep stuff running. Nor did the company I worked for want anybody pissing under the hood. They had a maintenance agreement.

I get it but doing diesel nerd stuff on your companies equipment doesnt fly. Hell, got chided for unplugging the fuel bowl heater on the 7.3 before that even though it fixed the issue.

Anyway, carry on with the killing... :D

swinky

Reaction score
I hear you guys & Frank. Really can't go wrong either way. I've been wanting an obs...... To do a 6l swap :)

TyCorr

Reaction score
That said ive been thinking about a cclb 6l. Just to have a stockish truck to tune and use as intended.

bluedge8

Reaction score
I didn't mean to go nuts on any of you 6l guys, but some of you basically called out one of our better vendors, and that is what I was defending. I have not yet to date seen Dave at Swamps ever try to steer someone in a way that just would benefit him. I started to think about a 6L myself cause they are cheap to buy, but I don't have a lift and have always said I won't buy one until I can get the cab off. I was hoping to jump to a 6.4 someday but no longer think that way. I was then looking at the Ford 6.7L and they had some problems early on but seem to be pretty good now- but I'll have to wait another 5-10 years before I can afford one- I won't borrow money for a truck. If I was in the market to buy a newer truck right now I would be looking dmax or cummins, I don't like chevy interiors and think the dodges are way overpriced, until you have to buy a $10k motor. To the op, in the end it's really up to you, Lots of options and not everyone is going to be right for you. My plan right now is to keep working on my pos and hang on to it for a long time considering that I have put 9k miles on it in the 3 years I have owned it doesn't make a lot of sense to buy a newer different truck.

swinky

Reaction score
Any 7.3 that makes more power than a smart car is going to need a trans. So take the money you would spend on a trans and put it into a proper bulletproofing..... That's my point.

Whoever recommended a 6.4 over a 6.0 is a tard vendor or not.

TyCorr

Reaction score
People with tons of higher hp injectors running a vb and tc. Andy (supermod) has 360+k on his doing that with 250/200s...

pullandpray

Reaction score
Nuff said

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1427676061681.jpg
    FB_IMG_1427676061681.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 125

pullandpray

Reaction score
Make power then talk chit.

I'm not talking **** it's a joke if you read my post I never said anything bad about 6.0s, I have made plenty of power with my 7.3 actually and I have grossed over 30k with it Pulling it well over 5k miles ..... You can not say a 6.0 is better than a 7.3 I'm sorry there are more 7.3s still on the road vs 6.0s. Do I feel a 6.0 is a bad motor? Nope like I said I own one. I think the major issue with the 6 0s is they like good quality oil and you have to stay ontop of oil changes. Better than a 6.4 eating pistonS. However I liked my 6.4 better than my 6.0 Anyways not everyone on here is trying to talk **** about your 6.0s

Spotts

Reaction score
We have 5 6.0's and 6 7.3's within my family. 1 6.0 is a dump truck another with a service body neither have any work done and 3 pickups with only one that has been bulletproofed. Out of the 5 the only one that causes major headaches, and i stress major headaches, is the one that is bulletproofed, more electrical issues than anything. Of the 6 7.3s one is a dump truck manual trans and 5 pickups none of which have any issues aside from an OBS SRW with tranny problems-go figure. I personally drive a RCLB SRW 1 ton SD 7.3 and love it. You should prob hit up a DRW with your plans, just for the lawman's sake.

Last edited:

Arisley

Reaction score
People with tons of higher hp injectors running a vb and tc. Andy (supermod) has 360+k on his doing that with 250/200s...

1. Just a mod, not a supermod.
2. Currently have a broken trans. However, I went over 100K with a lot of HP with only a modded VB and a good TC. I am currently on my third used TC. It has been down and parked for a year now. However, Swinky, when I get her running again, if we ever meet up, we will race and I will spank your 6L. I did 13 seconds with two broken spiders in the rear end. Lost traction off the line, could not get out and back in, had to drive it home. I was spinning tires for 1000 feet, ass end going back and forth across the lane. Drove through it. I did 12.8 and crossed the line at 75 mph. Was up against a Dodge, forgot I was bracket racing and my bracket was 13.2. He got me off the line (traction issues again), got it hooked and was catching him. At 1bout 11 seconds in, I remembered bracket and stood on the brakes. Oops, too late.

I one day will own a 6.7, may even one day own a 6.0. But you will never hear me say anything bad about a 7.3.

And, if there was anyone allowed to work on my truck besides me, Dave makes the short list.

swinky

Reaction score
1. Just a mod, not a supermod.
2. Currently have a broken trans. However, I went over 100K with a lot of HP with only a modded VB and a good TC. I am currently on my third used TC. It has been down and parked for a year now. However, Swinky, when I get her running again, if we ever meet up, we will race and I will spank your 6L. I did 13 seconds with two broken spiders in the rear end. Lost traction off the line, could not get out and back in, had to drive it home. I was spinning tires for 1000 feet, ass end going back and forth across the lane. Drove through it. I did 12.8 and crossed the line at 75 mph. Was up against a Dodge, forgot I was bracket racing and my bracket was 13.2. He got me off the line (traction issues again), got it hooked and was catching him. At 1bout 11 seconds in, I remembered bracket and stood on the brakes. Oops, too late.

I one day will own a 6.7, may even one day own a 6.0. But you will never hear me say anything bad about a 7.3.

And, if there was anyone allowed to work on my truck besides me, Dave makes the short list.
Lol that's not gonna happen. Good luck old man.

Reaction score
I'd stick with a 7.3 imo. They're fairly easy to wrench on and is a proven reliable motor. I just wouldn't be able to trust a 6.0 or 6.4.

Latest posts

Members online