7.3 obs or SD, or just go up to 6.0?

bruce

Reaction score
The 05+ trucks are way nicer. The reason I got rid of my 7.3 was because it rode like a log wagon. My next truck will be a 05-07 6.0. Prolly have a 6.7 cummins on the stand for when the 6.0 gives up the ghost though.

JD3020

Reaction score
If it were me id find a clean OBS, swap in 05+ axles(pretty much bolts on), and do some light engine mods. My truck has 250/200%'s, built trans, e-fuel, 17* HPOP, Swamps IDM, and still rocking a non-IC'd stock turbo. It moves pretty good and tows good as well, and i've been running for well over a year with an up-pipe not even bolted to the collector. LOL

cbf9703

Reaction score
If it were me id find a clean OBS, swap in 05+ axles(pretty much bolts on), and do some light engine mods. My truck has 250/200%'s, built trans, e-fuel, 17* HPOP, Swamps IDM, and still rocking a non-IC'd stock turbo. It moves pretty good and tows good as well, and i've been running for well over a year with an up-pipe not even bolted to the collector. LOL

Those OBS seats though... not my favorite.

mandkole

Reaction score
The 05+ trucks are way nicer. The reason I got rid of my 7.3 was because it rode like a log wagon. My next truck will be a 05-07 6.0. Prolly have a 6.7 cummins on the stand for when the 6.0 gives up the ghost though.

I agree -- I was 'this close' to getting an 06 before Gordon told me his truck was coming for sale. The newer model chassises progressively got better, but I wasn't excited about relearning the 6L. However, going back to the OPs first post, having moved from the OBS farm truck to a very nice, well cared for SD its still an improvement all the way around.

johnp115

Reaction score

ja_cain

Reaction score
This would be a setup I would someday like to build.

ja_cain

Reaction score
Jake said the 6.7 pulls like any other super duty with stg 1s. Which makes sense.
The way the 7.3 should have come from the factory, including the 38r.

I would stick with what is familiar. It might pay dividends in the long run. If you happen to break down on the side of the road you will be so much more comfortable troubleshooting and wrenching on the vehicle. May have to rely on some other flunky to fix your vehicle if you move to a different platform. Even if you do have someone fix your truck, it will be so much easier to raise the bs flag if someone tries to take you for a ride. Otoh, if your made of money, a new 6.7 with full warranty and roadside assistance would be nice too.

Last edited:

TyCorr

Reaction score
I'm just weighing all options, cause those interiors sure do look comfortable for longer trips

I reallh dislike that stupid effing landrover wannabe knockoff 4 cupholder console...I don't like it. At all. The 99-10 console with cupholders on the front was plenty.

buschpoweredstroker

Reaction score
Man, most of you are smoking 6.0 pole, I'll take a 7.3 over a6.0 any day. That being said, if you can afford to completely bulletproof a 6.0,they are a good motor, but then again, if you can afford to do that, you can afford to go newer and stretch your payments out a couple years.

swinky

Reaction score
Man, most of you are smoking 6.0 pole, I'll take a 7.3 over a6.0 any day. That being said, if you can afford to completely bulletproof a 6.0,they are a good motor, but then again, if you can afford to do that, you can afford to go newer and stretch your payments out a couple years.
And buy a 6.4 that will more than likely cost even more money to maintain? You act like a 6.0 has to be bulletproofed delete the egr put a light gearhead tow tune on it and drive it. If it blows gaskets then get it studded and do all the updates and you can have a nice truck making 450 to the tire for around 20k.

Better trans, better interior, newer truck and some asshat doesn't want 20k for one because it's the legendary 7.3.

johnp115

Reaction score
And buy a 6.4 that will more than likely cost even more money to maintain? You act like a 6.0 has to be bulletproofed delete the egr put a light gearhead tow tune on it and drive it. If it blows gaskets then get it studded and do all the updates and you can have a nice truck making 450 to the tire for around 20k.

Better trans, better interior, newer truck and some asshat doesn't want 20k for one because it's the legendary 7.3.

You can be in a solid 6.0 bullet proofed for a lot less than 20k. Just gotta find them

johnp115

Reaction score
This doesn't need to turn into more of a 7.3 6.0 nutswinging thread lol. The 7.3 guys will stick to their opinions and the 6.0 ones will do the same. They're all great trucks.

Swaan

Reaction score
Idk, I've got both.
I've got a studded and deleted 6.0 in a 06 f350
I've also got a 7.3 in a 97 obs

The 7.3 has 175/80 inj and 364.5 s300 and when it comes to towing duties the 7.3 gets the job done effortlesslly.
The 6.0 has a good tow tune from gearhead and a ficm tune from inovative, also a billet wheeled power max turbo.
The 7.3 will absolutely without A dought tow circles around that 6.0 and do it burning less fuel.just seems like it's not even working hard, where as the 6.0 is screaming on the hills.

As far as heavy towing duties a warmed over 7.3 will pull anything better and more reliability then the 6.0 IMHO.

Reaction score
At this moment, I think I'm sold on going with a SD 7.3 with a solid 4r100, it's main purpose will be to tow reliably and comfortably, I'll swap on a 6.0 front clip, put later model nicer seats in it for comfort, insulate the cab and engine bay even more for noise, make sure its a forged rod motor, do a full regulated return, some 238/100s, a T500, a gated BASB, a fluid damper, a 6.0 fan, some 910s, SB push rods, and H11 studs and sounds like from what I'm reading would actually out tow a 6.7, and like mentioned, I can wrench on it myself... Oh, and no emissions crap

Latest posts

Members online