7.3 randomly shutting down

444getsitdone

Reaction score
Hi guys, 10/25/14

Lately over the lasts 5-6 months the engine has been shutting down. It happens usually in the morning within 5 mins of start up its done it like 8-9 times now. But over the last 2 days it has happened twice. When it shuts down it just dies, the whole dash shuts down as well, but the radio or headlights will not shut down if they are on. I cycle the key and it starts right back up and usually will not do it for a few weeks. A few times ago when it shut down I heard a click under the dash like a relay turning on or off, not sure if that means anything. When we bought it new in 99 due to people stealing cars the dealer had the security system called "Clifford" installed so before you put the key in you have to put a little key thing in what almost looks like a headphone jack before it will start. I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it as it never has given us problems.... No codes are coming up on my Scangauge. The truck is in my signature, Thank you guys in advance.
Trey

Last edited:

n54power

Reaction score
I chased this stupid gremlin for 18 months then adyer replacing everypart,the IPR was the culprit.
Save and clean your old one and keep.it as a backup
I keep 4-5 cps,IPR and random O-rings in the truck.

444getsitdone

Reaction score
I chased this stupid gremlin for 18 months then adyer replacing everypart,the IPR was the culprit.
Save and clean your old one and keep.it as a backup
I keep 4-5 cps,IPR and random O-rings in the truck.

Did your dash go blank when it died? I just never would have thought the dash would die like it does.

mandkole

Reaction score
^^^ x2

For power loss randoms, Id be going right for that 15-yr old Clifford. Id completely disable/uninstall it and see it the trucks behavior improves. We just removed a similar security system like that from our drum corps Dodge due to random failures and it works fine now.

Arisley

Reaction score
Swap it with another one. Most of the relays on the truck are the same kind. Myself, I would pull a known good (not necessarily new) one out of my glove box and throw it in. I keep a couple of spare parts in the glove box.

444getsitdone

Reaction score
I will try to swap the relays. Clifford seems to be all intact but I think it will be easy to take off the truck so I plan to later this year... The IPR valve looks ok physically, the nuts on and the wiring is intact. Thank you guys very much, I will update on removing Clifford.

444getsitdone

Reaction score
Kinda forgot about this, it was the Donkey Kong Clifford. One day getting out of work it would not start, went back in and got two jumper wires took off Clifford jumped the connectors and we were back in business. When home I made it more permanent, trashed old Cliff. The last 6 months its not had a hiccup (as least with the shutting down crap). Thanks all for pointing me in the right direction.

Flounder_Pounder

Reaction score
Had a bad IPR doing the same thing to me as well as a ICP once... the ICP you can unplug and see if it starts up (goes to a set 500psi) IPR you need a scanner or gauge to monitor psi

Latest posts

Members online