7.3 sd mods

mattman347

Reaction score
The stage 1's and 2's have the same cc, but with a larger nozzle it will empty quicker and the stage 2's are able to make about 75/100 more no than the stage 1's.

alradco

Reaction score
Reaction score
If it were my truck I would run ff 250/100s, fuel system, and a 38r. With a strong hpop that should be a clean reliable 500 all day. I have a truck with 250/100s an stock turbo that's about 450 according to track times. This is all with gearhead tuning

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

smitty4605

Reaction score
Is there a big difference between the 38r and 366 as far as performance? I know the t4 allows for more options but that's all I really know.

As far as my trans I pretty much baby my truck most of the time except the every now and then little bit of fun. And i don't race or do pulls.

Would it be safeer going with a package like I listed before?

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

bruce

Reaction score
425 horse can be done for a lot cheaper than that package deal. you have another couple of hours to save 15% on injectors from performance injection systems. for you i don't think a t4 with s366 is worth it.

smitty4605

Reaction score
I don't have the money yet so I will be paying full price unfortunately.

So is the 38r good for towing? (Sorry for asking all these questions)

Right now my current setup doesn't seem to like towing my single car trailer with my jeep on tons I can only imagine two jeeps and 27' gooseneck. Then again it could be bad now because of my leaky up-pipes.

Last edited:

TyCorr

Reaction score
38r is a great turbo. Its absolutely a great turbo for towing. Especially with a tuner and some slightly larger injectors.

I personally dont think an s366 is as durable or as wise of an investment as a 38r. They're cheap, thats about it. But there's something to be said for that too.

Idk. Ive never regretted purchasing my 38r. Now with the billet wheel that has totally obliterated that frikkin siren noise, its even better.

TyCorr

Reaction score
I don't have the money yet so I will be paying full price unfortunately.

So is the 38r good for towing? (Sorry for asking all these questions)

Right now my current setup doesn't seem to like towing my single car trailer with my jeep on tons I can only imagine two jeeps and 27' gooseneck. Then again it could be bad now because of my leaky up-pipes.

A stock truck with a tuner should yank that jeep down the road with no trouble.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
A stock truck with a tuner should yank that jeep down the road with no trouble.

Yep!! My brother tows a gooseneck that grosses 12k-16k weekly with a billet wheeled stock turbo and a tow tune from nltd and loves it...

Im very happy with how my dually performs and I would suggest how it's setup to anybody who wants a mild upgrade to tow with...

live life full throttle

chris1978

Reaction score
The hpop was replaced 30k miles ago by the previous owner so I figured it should still have enough life in it.

I was looking at this setup before I posted on here for your opinions first on upgrades.

http://swampsdiesel.com/prestashop/en/1999-2003-73l/1084-hot-street-towing-package.html

Ran that setup for a few years. Reliable with good power and manners. Only a nozzle swap away from 475-500hp.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

smitty4605

Reaction score
So the 38r is more reliable then 366? I just read everywhere to go with the t4 mount and be done with it. But since I don't plan on racing or pulling (well maybe one or two) the 38r would be my better choice? Does the 38r get a lot of surge with out the billet wheel?

jaybuller

Reaction score
In my opinion the 38r is a great turbo, as long as you keep clean oil flowing to it and don't over fuel it - and keep it under the recommended boost levels! Who cares if it's a throw away turbo? Treat it right and it's gonna last long a the truck itself! For those that are gonna beat the piss out if it with 250 sticks should stay away from it but those of us who have smaller injectors and like to have a daily driver that spools faster than stock it's perfect and lasts! I would recommend the 38r for anyone from stock injectors up to small hybrids that's tuned to 425hp or lower

TyCorr

Reaction score
It'll cost you a lot more to run an s366. For building a towrig, that will be 400ish hp 38r wont be breaking a sweat.

In fact Ive done that before. I ran 175/80s and a stock 38r. With superiorly clean tuning(you couldnt actually make the truck smoke) it made 405hp. After adding 100% nozzles it gained about 15-20 hp and got hotter. Tweaked the tuning and it was still not as "right" as the 80% nozzle. I ditched the injectors to run a hybrid because it seemed they just werent quite enough. I wish I would have tried them out with my irate fuel system and srp1.1 because the truck runs so damn nice now even with stock injectors, im wondering of they wouldnt have worked out better.

Oh well.

If you look at Jake(lincolnlocker) signature theres a 2000 dually in there, that is over 470hp with 170/100 injectors. He has all the mods listed. That setup, according to him, tows waaay better than his brand new 6.7 powered f350 and getz better towing mileage.

alradco

Reaction score
Peter, what is the "light modification" on your 02?

Truck has a 6" lift on 37's. Built trans with billet converter, DP Tuner with 4 tunes. Ported compressor housing, full exhaust. AMP steps, traction bars, nice stereo system. And of course, ALRADCO aluminum radiator :D Will be throing our intercooler in as soon as we get to it as well.

Thinking about doing HPOP, injectors, and gears. Also going to put air bags on it in the next week or two.

Last edited:

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
If you look at Jake(lincolnlocker) signature theres a 2000 dually in there, that is over 470hp with 170/100 injectors. He has all the mods listed. That setup, according to him, tows waaay better than his brand new 6.7 powered f350 and getz better towing mileage.

yuuuuppp! Dead on right there..... but those of you that dont know, that is by far not normal! Dont take that hp number and think that you will make close to it.... it should be a 400-430hp truck and thats it.. ET puts it at 450hp and one mph run puts it at 470hp... still dont know of anyone with the same mods making close to that with time slips to prove it.. its a freak and nobody knows why or how it runs the way it does..

But it is a bad ass tow rig. I just coukdnt keep my foot out of it cuz it is way to fun to drive! Its my puller/competition truck now with more upgrades in the future.. thats the reason I bought the 6.7 and it could use a mild tune for sure..

Truck has a 6" lift on 37's. Built trans with billet converter, DP Tuner with 4 tunes. Ported compressor housing, full exhaust. AMP steps, traction bars, nice stereo system. And of course, ALRADCO aluminum radiator :D Will be throing our intercooler in as soon as we get to it as well.

Thinking about doing HPOP, injectors, and gears. Also going to put air bags on it in the next week or two.

Might not want/need gears after you do a hpop and inj upgrade.

live life full throttle

smitty4605

Reaction score
Can the 366 be ran with smaller injectors to keep everything somewhat happy? I just like the idea of t4 kit because of the new intercooler pipes and boots along with the new up-pipes. But if the Jake (lincolnlocker) had good luck with his setup then maybe that is the best way to go.

Im listening to your guys opinions and trying to soak in everything because you know a heck of a lot more then me.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.