7.3 unreliable recently

Baker42

Reaction score
I have a 95 7.3 with minor mods. My problem is truck will start run fine and then diewhen operating temp is reached. My HPOP gauge reads 550 at idle I will rev to 1700 rpm and gauge reads 2000 psi no load just rpms. Once hot gauge falls to 1000psi then 500 then 350 and she just quits. Will not start until cold. I pulled injectors and replaced o rings.In 2009 HPOP was replaced with Adrenaline unit from Dieselsite along with new IPR from Ford. Two days ago pulled IPR and replaced o rings. Also when the truck dies I have unplugged ICP still a no start. suggestions would be appreciated:biggun:

Baker42

Reaction score
Well it figures nobody would know anything I dont already. I hope it is not the *%^$#@ pickup tube

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
whats your low pressure reading while this is occuring? I am thinking since you are a 95 year, the deairetion valve maybe loose

Baker42

Reaction score
I only have stock low oil pressure gauge but with pcm fuse out it registers middle of normal while cranking also what is deairetion valve never heard of it. Thanks for reply

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
its a valve they put in the front cover of early 7.3's to help with airetion... search it up on psn....

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
your not running the AMSOIL 5W40 are you??? If so, change it... I ran it, its junk

Wackerjr

Reaction score
Cracked pickup has nothing to do with hot oil... it will do it all the time.... you have a pm....

Baker42

Reaction score
A cracked pickup will affect HPO if it is a hairline crack. Oil gets hot and thins out. Air gets introduced into HPOP. Air doesnt create hydraulic pressure. And what do you mean by pm....?

Baker42

Reaction score
I dont Know. But what I do Know is all the aftermarket crap I put on my truck all the venders do is point fingers at someone else. It could never be their product:wtf:

onebad7.3

Reaction score
I dont Know. But what I do Know is all the aftermarket crap I put on my truck all the venders do is point fingers at someone else. It could never be their product:wtf:

First lets figure out whats wrong with your truck before the finger pointing begins. All the aftermarket products you put on the truck is up to you, its not the vendors fault if something happens to the truck, its called "use at your own risk"

Baker42

Reaction score
Its also called stand behind your )(*&^% product. But then again it is 2011 and I dont think people have the same values anymore. 95 7.3 238/100 regulated return d66 superduty lift pump 8micron and 2micron filters Adrenaline F-5.Also truck currently has stage 1s 238/100 on the way. And your right about finding the problem first but something tells me its the pump or the pickup (most likely pump)Well keep you posted

Last edited:

Baker42

Reaction score
True but the pump does and all Bob will tell me is I dont know and good luck .Injectors 2 years old new o rings on injectors and IPR. IPR replaced with pump also 2 years ago. What do you think? Pickup tube is a looong shot. Going out right now. Fords test is to jack the rear end up 10 to 12 inches start truck. This completely submerges pickup in oil will post back later.

woodduck97

Reaction score
You need to get a manual low presure gauge and test it if it still does it jacked up as ford says and test that. If it keeps presure and you are loosing HPO I think there is a problem with the pump...

Latest posts

Members online