7.3 unreliable recently

TyCorr

Reaction score
Lots of over-reaction in this thread!! Why people gettin so pissed? Never seen woodduck react like that.

Anyway. To the OP, Im not gonna add more bs to your thread but it seemed that you were insinuating that you got a chitty hpop. You put 55k on it?! That could be entirely the pump builders fault, not likely though. It could fall completely on you too.

You realize that when you run a tuner and a high performance fuel system you are running your parts at a more severe duty interval right? 55k, you could have worn the pump out.

Baker42

Reaction score
You must not know the meaning of high performance isnt that what your paying for. Which one are you the one on the left. All I wanted was a little input. Not the kind you have to offer. Ben registered here for about a month and thought this was a good place to start. And my fuel system has nothing to do with HPO,chip calls for 3200 ICP,also not that high. Stock 99-03 can hit 3200 without tuner.Some people here seem like they want to help,others need to go back to school!!!:bs:

Tom S

Reaction score
Keep us up to date on your progress. I am interested in how this one turns out.

onebad7.3

Reaction score
Keep us up to date on your progress. I am interested in how this one turns out.

:whs:
Saw one truck do the same thing as yours, and it turned out to be the ipr, but since you put a new one on when you put the pump on its hard to say.

jngreen

Reaction score
I would swap in known good hpop to see if the problem goes away, or you could start hooking up guages to diagnose the problem. A vendor on here sells a mechanical hpop guage where you can see what that is doing once the oil gets hot.

Baker42

Reaction score
Truck got towed to friends shop. He said he will have it diagnosed tomorrow. He said so far its looking like internal injector failure so my apologies for bichin about pump, builders,etc. it just makes me so damn mad. I will let everyone know whats up tomorrow. Thank you powerstroke army for giving some insight on this

onebad7.3

Reaction score
Got some codes back P1661,P1280,P1212,P0236

P1661 indicates that the output circuit check is low.
Low battery voltage, Circuit failure,Faulty powertrain control module (PCM)

P1212 icp voltage not at expected level

P2036 Turbo Boost Sensor A Circuit Performance

Tom S

Reaction score
I am thinking some of your codes are because the ICP sensor was disconnected. Did anyone clear the codes then drive and see what pops up again?

Baker42

Reaction score
Going out with my multimeter to see if I can pinpoint my problem. Im going to test pins 83 71 and 97 to check IPR< also 87 91 and 90 to check ICP

Dieselboy.

Reaction score
I thought you said your buddy found an internal injector problem ? So why pin the IPR ?

And to be honest, personally I would take wackers advice and run with it. Its not his first rodeo, and Ill put large amounts of green paper rectangles on that his rodeos are more plentiful and far more in depth mechanically then anything you have done with your 7.3, 5,9, or 6.0.

That is in no way a stab at you, Im just saying Jr knows his sh!t, take that for what its worth

Baker42

Reaction score
You can post whatever you want diesel boy Hence the boy. Injectors passed buzz and contribution test. Pinned A&B of IPR pigtail came back 1.2 ohms should be 5 at least. I changed pigtail same result. Truck dies and this time could not get low pressure gauge to register when trying to crank. ICP tested good at pigtail. Back to square 1

Reaction score
You can post whatever you want diesel boy Hence the boy. Injectors passed buzz and contribution test. Pinned A&B of IPR pigtail came back 1.2 ohms should be 5 at least. I changed pigtail same result. Truck dies and this time could not get low pressure gauge to register when trying to crank. ICP tested good at pigtail. Back to square 1

First, is the first part of your comment really necessary? I'm assuming your measurement of 1.2 ohms is for the IPR coil? Spec is 5-20 ohms. If it is 1.2 ohms the normal procedure per the PCED is to replace the IPR and rerun that test (although you could just replace the coil and see what heppens). Cheers!

bad12jr

Reaction score
I'm gonna say hpop. Mine did similar with a stock 17*. New orings on the injectors and new IPR and good ICP. Would stall coming to a stop only when hot. It had a horrible idle and wouldn't hardly start hot. Was getting progressively worse till I replaced the hpop. Now it runs much better, more power and it starts everytime.

I would say something is failing in the hpop such as check valve.

Baker42

Reaction score
Going to replace IPR tomorrow and check it again. Does anyone Know if a IPR off of a 2001 will work on a 95? My friend has a 01 IPR and has no screen. I know 94-95.5 had screens and 95.5-03 had none. Just wondering if they interchange seems like it would be fine

Latest posts

Members online