7.3 wont idle .please help

rsater1

Reaction score
I put pis 175/80 in and php custom tunes .3 sets of tunes ..it has power 35 psi easily also .the cruise control works ..no prob..every time I back off the throttle it bucks or stalls temporally..never shut off ..I changed cps rebult IPR.and changed ipr harness.checked the ICP /it looked good ??dry any way ..and the plug looked good ..even checked 42 pin harness over driver vc..and all insulation looks good..it strange because the cruise works no problem ..and the truck will hall a$@$#..light smoke ipr%9.3 to 12 13 .hpop 600 to 2600 around about ...and when it happens IPR is all over the place 1300 to 2300.. what could it be guys I'm waiting on tim to reply to see if he can help but it sucks waiting ..when I try to do all my work on the truck I have never taken it to a stealership ANY AND ALL IDEAS WELCOME AND THANKED ..

mandkole

Reaction score
^^ this-- don't have to have a cel to get codes. You had CPS issues earlier.

You also said in earlier thread that the injectors were running great. Did it start to act up after the new tuning? IPR rebuilds are dicey at best, often a new one is the ticket.

rsater1

Reaction score
I put pis 175/80 in and php custom tunes .3 sets of tunes ..it has power 35 psi easily also .the cruise control works ..no prob..every time I back off the throttle it bucks or stalls temporally..never shut off ..I changed cps rebult IPR.and changed ipr harness.checked the ICP /it looked good ??dry any way ..and the plug looked good ..even checked 42 pin harness over driver vc..and all insulation looks good..it strange because the cruise works no problem ..and the truck will hall a$@$#..light smoke IPR %9.3 to 12 13 .hpop 600 to 2600 around about ...and when it happens INJPW is all over the place 1300 to 2300..OR 1.3 TO 2.3... what could it be guys I'm waiting on tim to reply to see if he can help but it sucks waiting ..when I try to do all my work on the truck I have never taken it to a stealership ANY AND ALL IDEAS WELCOME AND THANKED ..and I think its only at operating temps I'm only a quart low and that's only because I rebuilt IPR..but its been having the problem..THANKS AGAIN AND my last oil change was royal purple only because of price at the time ...funds were limited .....AGAIN PLEASE AND THANK U

Last edited:

dsberman94

Reaction score
Put oil in it. The injectors are fired on oil. The more psi it builds, the more oil it uses. Without oil it won't run. Why would the cruise control have absolutely anything to do with this issue. How many miles since you've changed the injectors. I'm beginning to think your original problem wasn't an injector problem and you just wasted $2k. And it can't stall temporarily. It either stalls, or doesn't stall. When did you change the oil last and what oil did you put in it.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
:whs:

I would also check fuel pressure, this will typically cause lack of power too, but ive seen crazier chit happen. Try pulling the chip as well, possibly a bad tune. Does it do it on all tunes? Were the injectors torqued properly, could have one coming loose or something...

TyCorr

Reaction score
Sounds like the ipr...when you chop the throttle it has to dump all the oil pressure down to idle...check the wires again...

Then i would start troubleshooting the cps circuit/crank endplay

But first, add some oil...

dsberman94

Reaction score
Your injector pulse width cannot be 1300-2300 but it can be 1.3-2.3. Injector pulse width typically goes down to .60 with no throttle when the converter is locked. Your icp can be 1300-2300 and if you're holding the throttle steady and it's jumping around like that under heavy throttle you have a fairly large hpo leak somewhere. Whether it be an injector not torqued or stuck open. Ipr would also be bouncing around and should definitely be over 9%, even at idle unless your running twin HPOPs. Rebuilding the ipr won't help anything if the coil itself is bad, just an FYI.

At idle:
Ipr 10-11%
Icp between 550-600. Sometimes closer to 500.
I'd have to double check ipw at idle but I think it's around 1.3. I'd have to check to be certain though.
As said above, pull the chip and see if it still does it. It will run rough with your new injectors with no chip, but it will run. If the problem goes away then you know your issue is the chip or the tuning. Oil brand is great but we're looking more for the viscosity of the oil you used more than the brand.

We can't go off of guesses either. Actual and correct numbers on icp, ipr%, injector pulse width, etc. will help more than guesses, around abouts, and wrong names for the values. Data logs or DTCs would be even better. Just trying to get you fixed quicker, but again I don't think your issue was ever with the injectors.

FWIW, Tim wouldn't even be able to help you with the given information.

Last edited:

03 7.3

Reaction score
I had the same issue a little over a year ago.

Replaced IPR no change, took it to a not so local ford shop that specialize in diesels, the tech's diagnosed (handheld scanner) and fixed the issue in the parking lot in 10min (bad ICP, looked ok, dry...etc)

Struck up a conversation with them and they said honestly they have seen both IPR issues and ICP issues cause this, only way to tell is with a good scanner unless you want to throw parts at it.

rsater1

Reaction score
SORRY did not see 2nd thread .. I have no codes ..I have a new .. ipr maybe I will try it today..

Reaction score
If ICP sensor is questionable, just unplug it, it will set the CEL and go to default values, but will let you drive fine, and get to where your going without issue. This sounds exactly like what mine did when the ICP sensor went oit

06-6.0l, studded, reworked heads, egr ******, blue spring mod, 6.4 banjos, dummy plugs, stand pipe, upgraded stc fitting, New oil cooler, New ipr, New icp, atlas 40 FICM, stage 1 powermax, and Looney wild, 325/65R18

Petro

Reaction score
If ICP sensor is questionable, just unplug it, it will set the CEL and go to default values, but will let you drive fine, and get to where your going without issue. This sounds exactly like what mine did when the ICP sensor went oit

06-6.0l, studded, reworked heads, egr ******, blue spring mod, 6.4 banjos, dummy plugs, stand pipe, upgraded stc fitting, New oil cooler, New ipr, New icp, atlas 40 FICM, stage 1 powermax, and Looney wild, 325/65R18

Was just gonna suggest the same thing. Unplug the ICP sensor and run it. This will immediately tell you if your sensor is the issue.

rsater1

Reaction score
no codes.. ok will try unplugging . dam u guys work fast thank u ..and I did have a bad injector 4 months ago..it never would cut out prior to injector and custom tune ..I will un plug hydra first then icp sensor

Latest posts

Members online