7.3L Dies Randomly

DocBar

Reaction score
Got my new hydra yesterday. Put it in and everything seems fine so far. Put about 50 miles on it so far. I also put a new IPR in it as well just to be sure.

The only issue I had and it did it a couple times.... It used to have a subtle miss when in park revved up above 2000 RPMs. Last night, after it was warmed up, I held it up to almost 3000 RPMs for a few seconds. As soon as I let off, it died. Drove about 5 miles and did it again. Put in park, revved it up, held it at like 2700 RPM and let off. Soon as I let off, it died.

Maybe my ICP connector needs changed too. The old ICP leaked and I put a new one of those on too. Didn't change the connector though. I need to data log it and see what is going on.
Can you clean the connector with contact cleaner?

lucasm1998

Reaction score
My truck does something similar. Water can sometimes get in the cps connector and cause it to do exactly as you mentioned. The best bet is to buy a new cps from ford (many other companies sell bad ones) and clean both connections with contact cleaner and fill the connector with diode electric grease. This should solve your problem

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mandkole

Reaction score
Fuel press is good? no bouncing gauge?

That miss seems pretty consistent. Electrical perhaps? A bad injector wont be that noticeable. The OBS sounded like that when a cps was giving it up, but it became more pissed off quickly. May want to check for codes.

Black 02

Reaction score
Fuel press is good? no bouncing gauge?

That miss seems pretty consistent. Electrical perhaps? A bad injector wont be that noticeable. The OBS sounded like that when a cps was giving it up, but it became more pissed off quickly. May want to check for codes.

I did a buzz test and got P1298 code (IDM Failure). I have the Swamp's IDM, so I was told I'll get a code. I'm assuming that's it. I put a brand new CPS in it. It's the Dark Grey one. I got it from RiffRaff. Maybe I should put an old black CPS in it for ****s and giggles.

Other than that, I got an AIH code and a EBP code. I ignore those because they don't really apply any more for my engine.

I'll try to extend the gauge and check the fuel pressure. I have the Fuelab pump, so I'm guessing it's fine. I had it set at 65 psi idle.

I had a similar issue in the past but not as noticeable. It ended up being the throttle position sensor. This time, it doesn't matter if cruise is on or not.

Countrycar

Reaction score
Well, after trying to figure out why the truck wouldn't start, I decided to pull out the Hydra chip. Truck fired right up. Plugged the chip back in and it wouldn't start.
Although it's been about 5yrs or so, I had the exact same thing happen to me. It turned out to be the 6 pos chip,It was shorted out. I sent it to Matt, and he confirmed that it was shorted out from with in, so I had to purchase a new one. It is rare but it does happen.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.