700 hp 7.3

DocBar

Reaction score
Good lord 35k?? That is way up there for 700 HP. My old setup was about 700 with like 12k in it...

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk
How much of the work you're able to do yourself goes a long way in determining price. I've got between $35K-$40K in mine, not counting the $40K price tag back in '03

Reaction score
How much of the work you're able to do yourself goes a long way in determining price. I've got between $35K-$40K in mine, not counting the $40K price tag back in '03

I do all my work myself along with other peoples.
I have about 14k in the motor that I'm building now that has everything possible in it. Rods, filled, girdle, springs, prods, coated everything, ported heads, cam, headers, gen 3, ect. Just waiting on my heads to put it together ;)

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Reaction score

Exactly! I have no time to do any of the work myself. I let beans do all my work when I first had mine done. My first bill from them was over 20k. That was 4 years ago. Recently I just changed things up and Dyno proven did all the work. I wish I had the time to do my own work. I could have saved a ton. Labor adds up fast!

Black 02

Reaction score
Like most have stated before.... Getting to 700 hp for a couple dyno runs or holding 700 hp for 10 years is two totally different things.

I've had some great talks with Jason about this and he gave me some great advice.

With the technology, you can throw some fuel, NOS, turbo, and HPOP at a forged motor and break the 700 hp mark for cheap. Sooner or later, the block or rods will say FU.

What I've found is that you can budget for $15k for a motor and then just throw on another $5k for good measure. The little chit really adds up.

97f350stroker

Reaction score
Cracked pistons maybe?

They all have thier faults imo....find the money pit you like...and then proceed to burn cash at will!

That seems to be the lesson I've learned in my short time playing around with horsepower in a diesel. Now all my 7.3 stuff is being sold off and I'm getting into a tuned and deleted 6.4 and just driving it till blows a whole in a piston or w.e they like to do lol.

V-Ref

Reaction score
7.3....rods/cracked blocks/slow fuel
6.0....heads/gaskets
6.4....pistons/fussy 5r110s
6.7.....rods? I don't think all the weak links have been found out yet?

But to be fair...all the platforms have thier deal....gotta keep it fun! Or why are we doing it?

OP...Derail over!

DocBar

Reaction score
7.3....rods/cracked blocks/slow fuel
6.0....heads/gaskets
6.4....pistons/fussy 5r110s
6.7.....rods? I don't think all the weak links have been found out yet?

But to be fair...all the platforms have thier deal....gotta keep it fun! Or why are we doing it?

OP...Derail over!
It's just seems soooooo much cheaper in the 6.4 & 6.7. Not to mention all the new goodies that have come out since the last century. LOL

DocBar

Reaction score
It's your 7th post and this is the 70th thread on how to make 700hp. Please search before asking a blunt question. Do you want to hit 700 once? What's your budget? What's the usage? Want to be reliable? Etc.

I don't think the OP has been back to respond yet.
Soot was a little ugly with him. Maybe the OP's just real sensitive. LOL

Or realized that a reliable-ish 700rwhp in a 7.3 is a helluva lot harder than he thought. :fordoval:

isootmypants

Reaction score
Soot was a little ugly with him. Maybe the OP's just real sensitive. LOL

Or realized that a reliable-ish 700rwhp in a 7.3 is a helluva lot harder than he thought. :fordoval:

Haha my biscuits. I creeped on all 7 of his posts, Less than a month ago he said a gen 3 wasn't in his budget? Idk how he will build a 700hp 7.3 without having 1600 bucks to spend on big oil

DocBar

Reaction score
Haha my biscuits. I creeped on all 7 of his posts, Less than a month ago he said a gen 3 wasn't in his budget? Idk how he will build a 700hp 7.3 without having 1600 bucks to spend on big oil
LMAO!!! I was just making a funny. You were much easier on him than a lot of others have been on redundant threads.

Wanna play, ya gotta pay!!