700 hp goal build

powerjoke73

Reaction score
Well I finally got around to making the aluminum version of the emblem yesterday. Also, the engine was finally pulled out of the truck. Found out the crank was broke along with the LPOP (explains the horrible noises coming from the engine during the seconds before i shut it off). The injectors were delivered to Jim at Rosewood to be turned into 300/200%. Was given a timeline of about 4-7 weeks now that the ball is finally rolling. :poke:

Attachments

• engine.jpg
    engine.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 113
  • final.jpg
    final.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 97

powerjoke73

Reaction score
I was in a race tune and wanted to do a 0-60 run on a "closed course." At about 50 mph heard a huge boom and shut the truck off. When i opened the hood oil was everywhere. The belt was broken and looked caught on the harmonic balancer. Holes in timing cover and shards in the HPOP so LPOP went out as well. Setup was 238/100, 38r, and a couple fuel system mods (stock pump and HPOP). I know the tunes weren't set to the max because I was waiting until I got studs. Im assuming it walked when the harmonic was moved by the belt and the LPOP went out.

powerjoke73

Reaction score
I apologize for the lack of pictures. I have been in away at school during the whole process and the builders don't know how to send pics apparently. Hopefully this week I can run down and snag a couple update pics

powerjoke73

Reaction score
Found out some news last week but had no internet to post.

The crank was completely broke. It slid right out of the front. This then caused a huge break in the block. Crack goes all the way up on both sides and up the left on another. Two pistons floated a tiny bit but nothing major. The main journal bearing looked brand new. The factory forged rods with 140,000 look great and are up for sale if anyone needs a set. Dropped injectors off on the 5th at Rosewood. They came back yesterday already! Bad news was the plungers etc were shot so the injectors were a full rebuild. Builder says he wants the motor back together by the 25th of this month.

Will post update pictures when I can run down to get some.

Attachments

• block.jpg
    block.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 121
  • crank 2.jpg
    crank 2.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 117
  • injectors.jpg
    injectors.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 111
  • crank.jpg
    crank.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 117

powerjoke73

Reaction score
Builder said it is the weirdest break he has ever seen. He said for the damage to the lower end, can't believe the top looked basically brand new.

TyCorr

Reaction score
We had a tuned lmm in the shop with a busted crank last week. He had efilive.

TyCorr

Reaction score
They can change the firing order of the duramax to reduce stress on high hp applications.

Or you can put a different gen crank in and if you've chosen the correct one it'll hold anything currently capable of being made.

This was an lmm which these are sorta common for breaking.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Empire diesel is the one I read about. Custom camshaft and I assume wiring swap.

Im not willing to argue about that but in this day and age after you already broke it, since it needs changed, theres a stock dmax crank that is good for 1khp...if you balance it all even more.

But I dont doubt that someone has changed firing order to help the issue.

superpsd

Reaction score
I am sure there is and it's probably the better way to go. I don't know much about the duramax and never plan to own one.

TyCorr

Reaction score
I am sure there is and it's probably the better way to go. I don't know much about the duramax and never plan to own one.

They arent thaaaat bad. When 6l and 6.4s were rolling off the lots and you needed engine noise at 4am, what were us guys who knew how reliable the 7.3 was to do? At that time an lly (the turd of the duramax name) was waaaay more dependable than a 6l. There are a sea, yes a ***KIN SEA, of 6l that are broke or close to it, that can be had for 2-8k and after a day and 800 worth of shti you have a 500k mile reliable truck. They had not one frikkin clue h9w to fix the 6l while they were in production. Not one. You blew gaskets. They redid them. Then they blew again because they didnt fix the oroblem just the symptom (blown hg). These guys got it figured out now. And as such the 6l is everybit as reliable when fixed as a 7.3. Maybe even better because 7.3s the support is dying. No sensors, no wiring harnesses, etc

That said I love my old turd :D

Members online

No members online now.