97 PSD to 58 C60

markfuga

Reaction score
Thanks. I get alot of compliments on that blue. The story behind the color is: 2005 I take my 7 year old son with me to drop off the truck at the paint shop. We sit him down in front of a paint chip book and tell him to take his time and pick out his favorite color. Me and the shop owner walk off to discuss details for the remaining body work then check back in with my son after 30 minutes or so. I had no preference on a color so I said to go with whatever he picked out.

I closed the hole around the shifter this weekend. Cut a 12” x 8” piece of 16 gauge and used what I had to “form it” to fit. I had to raise a circular area around the shifter hole for clearance with the top of the transmission which was a little tricky. While I was working the sheet I remembered a small shifter boot I bought 10 years ago and thought it might fit as a “sub boot” under the actual shifter boot. I dug it out and sure enough it’s the perfect size. This quieted the noise level tremendously and will look really good when the floor covering goes back in.

Attachments

• IMG_0355.jpg
    IMG_0355.jpg
    570.6 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_0356.JPG
    IMG_0356.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 72
  • IMG_0357.jpg
    IMG_0357.jpg
    604.3 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_0358.jpg
    IMG_0358.jpg
    680.7 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_0361.JPG
    IMG_0361.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 66

markfuga

Reaction score
Couple more pics.

Attachments

• IMG_0364.JPG
    IMG_0364.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 67
  • IMG_0367.JPG
    IMG_0367.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 65
  • IMG_0369.jpg
    IMG_0369.jpg
    776.3 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_0371.jpg
    IMG_0371.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 65
  • IMG_0372.jpg
    IMG_0372.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 69

Vogel469

Reaction score
Looks good about how much time do you have into the whole swap

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

mandkole

Reaction score
did you use Gates powergrip clamps on the air intake hose connections? it sure looks like them..

markfuga

Reaction score
A time calculation is tough for me to do; I don't track my hours in the shop since it's a hobby. I did track the costs and every item purchased down to the penny though.

On a rough estimate, I "technically" started in May 2012 with the initial thought of installing a big block gasser. We'll dismiss all that time, although it counts a little since I did figure out alot about what would need to be done to fit a bigger engine in there. I bought the diesel donor truck in November 2012 and "tinkered" with it until the spring of 2013. So for roughly 1 year (spring 2013 to spring 2014) I dedicated all the spare time I had to this swap (I have a wife and 4 kids, spare time = very little). Assuming 10 hours per week (probably a light estimate) for 52 weeks I would guess around 520 hours. Add back in the tinkering time and time spent on the big block and I'm probably closer to 750 hours.

I'm not sure of the band clamp make/model. I looked on Mcmaster for clamps and found some they called out specific for silicone hose:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#45945k35/=rqtngy

markfuga

Reaction score
Here's a first ride along video around Western Loudoun County VA. You may hear me groan a couple times becasue I'm getting the infamous ZF5 roll over growl, mostly at low speeds and it's driving me nuts (pun intended). Note the white car that's pulling out on my left at the 4 minute mark. He come up behind me as we enter the main route and has no intentions of being stuck behind a slow dump truck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UvnlQbE8Uk

trackspeeder

Reaction score
Here's a first ride along video around Western Loudoun County VA. You may hear me groan a couple times becasue I'm getting the infamous ZF5 roll over growl, mostly at low speeds and it's driving me nuts (pun intended). Note the white car that's pulling out on my left at the 4 minute mark. He come up behind me as we enter the main route and has no intentions of being stuck behind a slow dump truck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UvnlQbE8Uk

Thanks for the ride. :thumbsup::thumbsup: :D

markfuga

Reaction score
The ride is really good. Since this is a 60 series truck (2 ton) I think the extra weight helps. Today was the fastest I've ever gone in it and probably the fastest the truck has ever gone in it's 56 years.

When I was "racing" the white car I was at 78 MPH when I backed off the throttle. He came racing around me and to my suprise I sped up and caught him with NO EFFORT at all. The front was just starting to shake a little as we approached 80 MPH which was why I let up. These trucks were never designed or intended to go over 55 MPH.

Around town it's a blast. The low gears in the rear axle make it take off like a rocket, despite the 40 inch tall tires and weight of the truck. The Powestroke is a completely different leauge over the gas engine I took out. The gasser's top best was 65 MPH and it took a while to get there.

PS: sorry it took over an hour to answer, I think I was starring at your avatar for that long :)

FrankTheTank

Reaction score
With them low gears, and they way it's winds out now. Really no need for a chip. Unless you have plans to raise the gear ratio a little to get the rpm down on the highway

markfuga

Reaction score
The rear axle is an Eaton 2 speed and the only gear options for it is what it has: low and lower, so changing gears inside of it is not an option.

I'm looking for a Mitchell overdrive gearbox to put in place of the carrier bearing to bring the RPMs more inline (effectively raising the rear axle ratio). Since the rear axle is a two speed I can use it to shift into an underdrive (effectively cancelling out the Mitchell).

With the power I'm feeling from this engine I'm sure it could push the truck along at 65 MPH at a much lower RPM than it's doing now. It would be alot more comfotable inside the cab with the engine turning a little slower.

Latest posts

Members online