99.5 PSD cutting out

high desert stroke

Reaction score
So.....driving to my wifes family reunion today and the truck starts cutting out at freeway speeds. First, just once or twice and only for a fraction of a second. We keep driving and soon its getting worse and worse, especially downhill or flat cruising. Under load its not as bad but still does it and at low speed, like in traffic, its unbearable. It makes the tranny jump gears and rpm's go up and down terribly.
So after searching im leaning towards CPS but it was just replaced by Ford last year. Needless to say but my mother in law is pissed as hell me for not making it to the reunion. Any thoughts from the PSA?

Edit: I also pulled over and replaced the fuel filter hoping to get lucky but it still cut out after that. So...CPS? fuel pump?

Last edited:

high desert stroke

Reaction score
1) cutting out at freeway speeds
2) rpms would jump up and down in low speed situations like from stop light to stop light

Last edited:

dirtboy25

Reaction score
Does cruise control make any difference? I've been battling similar issues for the past year and the cps did not fix my problems.

Could be pcm, uvch, loose/ bare wires, or possibly a tranny issue.

Blowby

Reaction score
Can you hear the pump running strong and not surging with key on engine off? Any work in the engine bay lately? valve cover harness loose? Did you have clips installed on the VCH "under" the cover yet?

high desert stroke

Reaction score
Can you hear the pump running strong and not surging with key on engine off? Any work in the engine bay lately? valve cover harness loose? Did you have clips installed on the VCH "under" the cover yet?

I will check the fuel pump tomorrow. Only thing ive done under hood was rebuild fuel bowl and install new tps under pedal

neverkickn

Reaction score
It means you have a code stored. It would be very helpful to have that code.

Arisley

Reaction score
They might, I would simply buy two, not that expensive. One for the truck and one for the glove box. If you have one in the glove box, the one on the truck will never fail. If you don't, the one on the truck will always fail. No clue why it works like that, I think it is some kind of deritive of Murphy's Law.

DIE5EL

Reaction score
My 97 did the same thing. Finally the CPS died and i had a no restart. Got a new CPS from local international dealer. I believe it was 26 dollars. Comes with a new o-ring. Been running like a top since.

Sent from my ifone

Latest posts

Members online