about to start a build

dentexpowerstroke

Reaction score
Finally decided to keep the truck and build it. Plans are forged motor with studs, springs, half fill, girdle, S475, gen3, irate competition fuel system, swamps idm, built trans, trac bars and either 400/400 or 400/200( I don't know if I trust 400% nozzles, have seen to many crack for comfort.) Any input is appreciated. Does anyone know of any shops that can half fill the block in the dfw area? Been working a chit ton of hours so I haven't had time to research a lot. Vendors if you would like to pm me with prices it'd be appreciated, I've been working 8am-1am so I don't have much time to call for pricing.

Fat fingered from my phone.

TrailerHauler

Reaction score
Good to see a few guys still shooting for some powah with the old 7.3. Hope all goes well with the build and keep the progress updated.
Are you planning on having a shop put this together for you?

85_305

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
damn dude... you really are going all out. You shooting for 700hp+?

dentexpowerstroke

Reaction score
I'll be doing everything myself except, may have someone do the half fill and girdle. Really just shooting for 11s in the 1/4.
I was going to just run forged for now, ill have a spare motor and will be building another one with rods and fire rings etc.

Last edited:

PSDEng

Reaction score
Gearhead might be able to do it for you....call Matt.

Something doesn't seem right though....you're not comfortable running 400% nozzles because of the possibility of them cracking, but you're willing to risk not putting in a good set of rods and crack a block? Just wondering why you won't do it right the first time, especially when the rods will already be out?

Lowdown89

Reaction score
If you are spending that much cash go ahead and wait until you can do rods..... I promise you will come out better in the end, I went ahead with out rods and now I'm going to have to build another engine if I want to be able to really play without worrying

dentexpowerstroke

Reaction score
Gearhead might be able to do it for you....call Matt.

Something doesn't seem right though....you're not comfortable running 400% nozzles because of the possibility of them cracking, but you're willing to risk not putting in a good set of rods and crack a block? Just wondering why you won't do it right the first time, especially when the rods will already be out?

Matt will live tune it when its all done. I've seen a lot more issues with 400% nozzles cracking than i have seen rods and blocks break. And i really didnt plan on billet rods right away because for the cost of a set i could replace the motor 4x and even out.

PSDEng

Reaction score
Ok I was just wondering, not a dig on you. I guess if it was me I would just want the motor apart and the heads off once.

Back on topic, I believe there are some members on here that may have done the hard-block themselves. I want to say rpm-inc did his own block fill and it wasn't that involved.

dentexpowerstroke

Reaction score
Yeah I may do it myself. When I actually have some free time I need to try to talk to a few people about everything. I know marty has run a similar setup. This will all be built over the next few months so I. do have a little time to figure out parts.

Vader's Fury

Reaction score
If you are not going to spend the money for rods now, I wouldn't even crack the block open.

Rebuilding a motor with forged rods is only a smart option if you are running stock power levels and just need a motor rebuild.

If you don't wanna spend the money on billet rods, Just drop in a stock forged rod motor and beat the hell out of it. If it pops, get another one and bolt everything on it and continue on.

It is not cost effective to build a motor with forged rods no matter which way you skin it. Unless you have a high mileage motor and HAVE to have a new one instead of a drop in runner.

spongebob915

Reaction score
20121114_210120.jpg

PowerstrokeJunkie

Reaction score
Sounds like a horrible idea to me...you're going to hate your truck after you build it with those parts, if it even holds together... You should just put a set of 250/80s and a 66mm on it and have a fun with a practical truck.... You do have a set of 250s don't you?

Latest posts

Members online