about to start a build

dentexpowerstroke

Reaction score
I would love to run compounds but I don't have the fab skills to do it and most compound kits ive see. run $6k+ so its not worth it to me. I kind of want to run a procharger setup eventually but thats still $5k

Fat fingered from my phone

PSDEng

Reaction score
So is the general concesus that a truck with 300-350/200 and a. S475 not a good combo for a weekend toy/sled puller???

I use this set-up for my puller....it's probably not a PERFECT match, but it works well. I DD this set-up for a little while and hated it....and I mean absolutely liked nothing about driving the combination.

OSCS

Reaction score
I would love to run compounds but I don't have the fab skills to do it and most compound kits ive see. run $6k+ so its not worth it to me. I kind of want to run a procharger setup eventually but thats still $5k

Fat fingered from my phone

Talk to jake, IIRC last time we spoke he was developing a compound kit for the 7.3 and it was under 2k. And I'm sure you know this but I wouldn't even BEGIN to think about a compound kit without billet rods

dentexpowerstroke

Reaction score
I'm not expecting any setup I run to last forever. I'm running 250s on pmrs as it is. I'm not afraid to take a chance on breaking rods or blocks at higher HP levels

02BigD

Reaction score
I mean I don't want it to break but at 600+ HP I dont expect parts to last forever.

Agree 100% with PSDEng.

Been at the same setup, on a built motor, for around 35,000 miles. Only issue, was the 1 factory item on the motor, in trashing a cryo'd flex plate. That's at 588 hp. I am brutal and aggressive in my driving style, so it gets worked.

Thuglike has been running around for years, and last time I saw 60,000+ miles on a full build at or above mid 600's. I'm sure there are other examples as well in the members.

Last edited:

dentexpowerstroke

Reaction score
I'm starting to think about getting the setup everything I planned and just running my 250s on it for now and start building my pmr block with billet rods, gearhead cam, fire rings, girdle, port and polish heads and half fill. Then when the block is finished putting the 350s into it.

Short Bus

Reaction score
Have you ever ridden in a high hp street truck before? The reason that I ask is because there's a huge difference in driveability, smoke, etc between a 450-500hp rig and a 600+ rig. I have spent 2 years tuning and tweaking my truck to get it better to drive and DD when needed. I would highly suggest NOT running 400/400's in something that may see the street very often. If i were you starting somewhat from scratch, I think i would try a forged rod engine with push rods, springs and studs, s468 and 250/200's THEN see if you want more. IF you do then you can step on to billets, girdle, filled block....

Latest posts

Members online