Absolutely zero traction

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
In mere inches of snow this truck won't go anywhere. I've got meaty BFG AT KOs. Just taking off from stops is embarrassing. I put about 700 lbs of sand in the bed tonight and it didn't do a thing.

Is this where a trutrac would come into play or is it just the tires?

Derkperk

Reaction score
One wheel turning with all the weight holding the front tires down. Wide rubber with possible power added above stock. 4x is a must in the snow if you want to get out of your own way.

highland512

Reaction score
From my experience the BFG AT KO isn't the best in snow but its not worthless. From past tires one of the best snow tires I ever had was the procomp AT. But tires are like anything else, ask 5 guys get 7 different opinions. My guess is to much torque, or to much skinny peddle.

Ad8 PRODIGY

Reaction score
Both my idi plow truck and my power stroke are worthless in 2wd in snow unless I pay close attention to my driving habits. I have cooper discoverer at3's on the plow truck and love them once I'm rolling again. Just seems from a dead stop its slow going otherwise they break loose in 2wd. On my dually it just spins no problem. Part of the problem is that it has highway tread(have MT's on the way) and the other is I have to watch how fast I let the clutch out.. just the nature of the beast with these things I guess...

You have any buddies near you that would let you swap wheels and tires for a few hours to see if the tires are your problem?

Atsah

Reaction score
If your talking about the truck in your avatar, I am not surprized..

JD3020

Reaction score
A locker does help a ton. We have a CCLB D-max that we plow snow with and rarely ever need 4wd, it has a locker from the factory so as soon as the tires start spinning it locks and goes. It also has always had BFG AT's which are extremely good tires, so that helps it.

Now my truck on the other hand, even with the bed loaded down with wood, snow blowers, fuel cans, etc... it can be a handful in the snow.

4x4given

Reaction score
Tires aren't nearly as important on snow / ice as having ALL the wheels turning.

If you ever get to drive a locked 4x4 in these conditions, you will see the light.

Just remember, they all stop the same and only 4 corner ABS can help.

Ad8 PRODIGY

Reaction score
I had to lock in my front hubs to get out of 8" of snow in my Dooley yesterday. Walked right out of the hole once I did it. Before I did it, it would only spin the back 4 lol

20007.3L

Reaction score
2wd and hammer down, here in NH we got over a foot of snow and i was either in 2wd ***ing around or 4x4 when i needed to go straight LOL

No way around it!

Atsah

Reaction score
We got 14 inchs day before yesterday on top the 8 inchs we had, my truck was burried, I had to put it in 4x4 and use the electronic locker to get out of where it parked.. I thought I was going to have to pull it with the 4wheeler but it came out..

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Yea once locked you can't stop this truck from going through drifts as high as houses. Lol

I have manual hubs, so usually I'll just lock them if I think I'm going to need 4wd and then shift on the fly when needed.

I had an expedition with bfg at ko and it was u stoppable. But I guess there is a big weight and power difference there. I don't think I'd go with bfg again though. They really are just for looks.

DHFF

Reaction score
Im running nitto muds and they are WORTHLESS in the snow and ice. I've come to the conclusion they are only good for making noise and digging to the bottom of everything. Like stated before if I ease into the throttle and take it slow it will take off but if not I just twist the knob and get rollin then take it back out of 4. In my experience though the BFG AT was a damn good tire in the snow on my 150.

taterthedog

Reaction score
Always found BFG ATs good in snow. For driving in snow, weight is essential. I usually shovel the back of the truck full of snow. It makes a huge difference, even with the crappy continental tires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Daddyusmaximus

Reaction score
bfg all terrains are awesome in the snow.

That has been my experience in the past, even without a locker, but they clogged up to easily in the mud. I went with a mud tire this time, Toyo Open Country MTs. Not as good as the BFGs on snowy roads, but surprisingly well for a wide mud tire... and way better on the trail. We only got 7 inches, still had to hit the rear ARB air locker to tow my son out of a ditch. Normally I just leave the hubs locked in this kind or weather so I can hit 4WD at will. Probably going back to that, even though it costs MPGs, but lockers do help get you started. Now, both ends locked... gimme another foot of snow and let the fun begin.

Big fat wide tires are crap in the snow. You want a skinny tire with good tread to get down through the snow and get traction.

^^^ Also this.

Last edited:

sootie

Reaction score
That has been my experience in the past, even without a locker, but they clogged up to easily in the mud. I went with a mud tire this time, Toyo Open Country MTs. Not as good as the BFGs on snowy roads, but surprisingly well for a wide mud tire... and way better on the trail.

^^^ Also this.

exactly. not a mud tire.
i also went toyo m/t's and i am shocked at how poor they are in the snow.

dsberman94

Reaction score
I have some dead snow tires on my truck. Ran them all summer and they're easily below half tread left. 285/75's firestone winter force. No extra weight in the bed just snow that has fallen in there and it is very controllable in my highest tune in 2wd. Lifted truck with big knobby tires was stopped next to me at a light Saturday night. Light turned green and I walked away in 2wd while he sat there in 4x4 spinning.

In my experience the name of tire doesn't matter but the compound of the tire does. Winter tires are made with softer compound which stay softer in colder weather than all terrain tires. Which means more grip. My truck grips in 2wd but I can throw it around when I want to. Only time if used 4x4 in the last couple storms have been to get into the driveway and doing cyclones with the truck.

Latest posts

Members online