Adding factory fog lights

06_Whitebull

Reaction score
OKAY, first.... A BIG thanks to CCRICE,:rockon::rockon::toast::toast:

I went back out after looking at the pictures on my computer vs phone and realized the white thing was the PS reservoir.

Mike, I used MS Paint to label a couple of things, so please excuse the crude CAD work. First is a reference shot:

Blue arrow is CAC pipe, green is the PS reservoir, purple is the battery, red dots is the fog connector( if you have it).
View attachment 8956

This pic is the same thing, but closer. The yellow is the plastic inner fender. Like CCRICE said, if you have the plug it is connected to the fender with one of those christmas tree plugs.
Fog 1-1.jpg

If you don't see a plug attached to the inner fender you might not have the harness. I suppose you could call the stealership and they might be able to confirm Agjake11 comment about it being there no matter the trim level. I won't be able to get to mine till this weekend I don't think, but I'll take better pictures with a camera vs phone if I get to it before you do.

Thanks again CCRICE.

Chip

Last edited:

06_Whitebull

Reaction score
I didn't really pay attention to that particular plug when I saw it the first time because it had something plugged into it. The PO was too lazy to unplug it.

Fog 3.jpg

Mdub707

Reaction score
Awesome, I'll check mine out when I get home! I still need the fogs/brackets to arrive, and get a relay for it. Make sure you have the fog light relay too 06 whitebull, they may have pulled that (doubt it though).

06_Whitebull

Reaction score
Awesome, I'll check mine out when I get home! I still need the fogs/brackets to arrive, and get a relay for it. Make sure you have the fog light relay too 06 whitebull, they may have pulled that (doubt it though).

Yea, I have the switch in the dash and the relay, was just missing the lights, brackets, and harness.

HeavyAssault

Reaction score
KC lights has a set of bumper brackets that allow use of their lights in the bumper opening. I have a set of their 5x7s as my fogs which are MUCH better than OEM. Secondly the lights include a harness that you could wire to a up-fitter switch.

06_Whitebull

Reaction score
Well, I wired my fogs up and no light..... Fuse is good. I think I might have a bad relay now, and what sucks is, IIAC, the relay in the 05-07 is a non serviceable relay built into the CJB, but I'll need to do some reading on that. If I can't find the answers I want I think I'll just do HeavyAssaults suggestion, but with the factory lights since they're already in there. I'm bummed.

Mdub707

Reaction score
The relay should be replaceable!? Everyone told me to buy one for mine since it wouldn't have it due to coming with no fogs factory.

I already have 4 6" 55w Hellas on a light bar, I'm not terribly concerned with light out put when I need it, more just want it so I can get a little better visibility when there is oncoming traffic. Plus I like the factory look. I also needed a new headlight switch anyways, so this was a good excuse.

Got my fogs and brackets in finally. There's no sockets with it even, so I'm going to need the bulb sockets and the wiring. I have a feeling this is about to get expensive. We shall see. Wish I could just find individual part numbers for this stuff.

06_Whitebull

Reaction score
Wel, turns out my relay is bad. I have power to the fuse and switch, but not to the wire harness. Damn.

Mdub707

Reaction score
Digging this up from the grave, just in case anyone searches it after.

Thanks to 06 whitebull for some info:

PN for the harness is 5C3Z15A211BA. The bulbs I have in my lights are OEM Sylvania 9145 / H10 bulbs.

I have the harness in my posession finally! Going to try and get this stuff installed this week/weekend hopefully! I got the harness through Tousley Ford online, it runs $28.82. Not too bad... retail is $43 and change.

Mdub707

Reaction score
I finally tried tackling this morning, after a long night of drinking myself silly... oh what fun.

I started by trying to get the fog light brackets up into the bumper and mounted. Had a huge selection of hardware at my buddies garage, but of course not the correct length I need.... bahhh!

Oh well... on to the wiring. I lay it out in place and start looking for the magic plug, to plug this new harness into. I look everywhere. I no find. WTF. I get frustrated. Whatever, I move into the cab, swap out the new headlight switch. Simple as pie! Finally a small victory. Now I go back at the wiring harness. Where is this stupid little plug! I checked over the photos posted already and start diving in. I pull the intake. I pull the intercooler piping. Still no find. Pull inner fender. WHERE IS THIS PLUG??? I can not find it anywhere. Can anyone tell me which bundle it's coming off of, I may have to cut open the sleeve over the wiring.

Here's everything I tore down and still couldn't locate it. I even pulled the headlight out as well, still nothing.

intake and intercooler pipe out of the way:

20121209_110348.jpg

Inner fender pulled, don't see the wire that CCrice posted...

20121209_110417.jpg

06_Whitebull

Reaction score
Mike, it won't help you today but I'll trace mine in the morning and get you some pics.

Chip

You didn't have any wiring attached to the inner fender?

Mdub707

Reaction score
Chip,

The larger bundle of plugs on the other side of the battery (closer to the firewall) was obviously clipped into the inner fender, but nothing on the front side of the battery. Though... my inner fender has likely been pulled numerous times at dealerships when under warranty, as well as the cab being up a couple of times, so who knows if it was there at one point and vanished or what... but no, I didn't have anything there. It will really suck if there is actually a different harness even further up. I may give up at that point haha.

Thanks,
Mike.

VanoFord

Reaction score
may sound dumb but did you check to see if the harness is already there for the lights to plug into?

i know they started doing that around 02 on most vehicles to cut costs and my 04 had all the wires in the cab and plugs for the rear power window all it needed was the motor and switch

i bought an 06 f150 that had no fogs. all i had to do was find which relay/fuse was coming out of the fuse box for the fogs, and tap my hot into that. Then i swapped out my factory lamp switch for one w/ fog, and my fog lights worked automatically. i'm almost positive you'll just need to tap a ground to your frame and then just find the right connection in the fuse box.

Mdub707

Reaction score
I can do that if need be, but it'd be a lot easier if I can just take my new harness and plug it directly into the harness that is already there, like others suggested. Doesn't seem to make sense that Ford would make two different wiring harness' just because someone didn't order fog lights on their truck... but who knows. I may have to end up going that route, just want to make sure that the plug isn't just tucked away somewhere before going through that trouble.

Latest posts

Members online