After Market Transmission Build

gloan93

Reaction score
Other then ATS, Rudys, an Elite who else is doing them? All three are around $4000 full job.
What Converter is out an what should I go with.
Needless to say I'm just wondering which route is the best bang for much buck Transmission an Converter wise. Truck WILL BE SLED PULLED!
:popcorn:

sootie

Reaction score
precision or dpc convertor.

forget ats entirely.

check out twisted diesel for trans in addition to the other ones you listed.

the pricing is directly related to the parts you put in the trans-the more billet, the more $$$

Breaking Habits

Reaction score
Precision doesnt make a new 6.7 converter yet. They are doing modifications to stock ones. Has DPC even gotten into them yet? And are there really even any billet parts available yet?

gloan93

Reaction score
Has anyone had theirs built? Feel an different then stock?
Yeah ATS is my last choice in my book unless they needed an R&D.
I'll R&D someone's tranny if needed lol

strokersmoker

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
are aftermarket converters even needed?

Just to raise stall dude. I ripped one apart and they are stout. the tcc is welded in and you have to cut that out too. It is a heavy duty double sided clutch so there is 2 times the friction material there.

imho the trans is great except od clutches. If raybestos comes out with a gpz module I would add those, but as far as raybestos blues that are available I would stick some in a stocker already on the bench but I wouldn't bother pulling one out to put them in. (not that much more holding power in past experience)

The tc from sledpull on here is gonna be awesome.

So yo answer your wuestion yes if you want to run a big single, no if you are doing compounds of sensable size such as 4everboosted.

strokersmoker

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
I apologize for the atrocious spelling and grammar back there.

I think the converter in my keyboard here is flaring a bit. :)

gloan93

Reaction score
Yeah my tranny wont go into 4th have to shift an let off then it bucks in, 5ht an 6th will grunt in stock mode. now turned up it makes an awful noise. Never liked how much TC has ever locked up! :whs:3:31 GEARS SUCK

strokersmoker

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Yeah my tranny wont go into 4th have to shift an let off then it bucks in, 5ht an 6th will grunt in stock mode. now turned up it makes an awful noise. Never liked how much TC has ever locked up! :whs:3:31 GEARS SUCK

Yep 456 clutch is smoked man. lucky I got a 2wd and can change them in 20 min.

Couple tricks to putting the assembly back in. Make a holding tool to clamp on the input shaft and drop it down in with the pump in place much easier.

On mcc take all the tranny pressure and multiply by 1.5 and she holds decent man!!
You can get the tc to lock better by putting trans in hot mode at low temp. (mcc as well)

There is just not an easy method to cut out the od piston and add clutches because of the fluid damn in the bottom. GPZ module is rated for 1000 hp by raybestos. I call them once a week to check on release date.

Also sonnax has a listing for a triple plate billet cover and billet stator for the 6r140 and 6l90 gm. (yes they are about the same tc, in fact the gm oneshave fomoco stamped inside the cover!!) So I am patiently waiting with a bottle :)

gloan93

Reaction score
I'm afraid to try the mcc tuning myself lol Wonder if switching between custom an canned tuning could be been the cause. When I would pull I would swap to the custom tune right after switch back to the canned. I'm not going to lie sometimes I never did the transmission relearn. I'm checking on that Sonnax now!

strokersmoker

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
I'm afraid to try the mcc tuning myself lol Wonder if switching between custom an canned tuning could be been the cause. When I would pull I would swap to the custom tune right after switch back to the canned. I'm not going to lie sometimes I never did the transmission relearn. I'm checking on that Sonnax now!

Well I am not sure the switching is 100% the reason. the od clutches are just really small and hold a good bit of torque in 4th. the load is less in 5th and 6th.

But letting the trans relearn would be a bit less stressful man.

The Sonnax stuff is just parts to build the tc, not a complete unit fyi.

Good luck with the trans build and I buy the od clutches from ford for less than 50 bucks for the set.

strokersmoker

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Heck wanna put mine in? :rockon: I'd pay ya good! I'd what else is messed up smh

Wow man thanks, I love building these 6r140's, but you should stick with a vendor here on PSA since you came here to ask the question.

I see you are in virginia.
Mpd is a vendor here and they could put it together for you.
They are about 30 minutes away from me in Maryland. Good guys to deal with.

4EverBoosted1

Reaction score
So yo answer your wuestion yes if you want to run a big single, no if you are doing compounds of sensable size such as 4everboosted.

I am not quite sure I am understanding you correctly. Are you telling him that if he has a big single than he needs to address his converter, but if he runs compounds sized like mine than he will be fine on a stock one? If that is what you are saying than that is completely false. No one has ran sizing like I have so where would you get this information? I can tell you right now that my setup is already hurting the trans from 1/2 throttle break in runs. When I start adjusting gates and making full power, I will shred that stock converter.

gloan93

Reaction score
4everboosted1 Thank You everyone thinks the 6r's are bullet proof up to 800+ hp in reality if you run the crap outta it an sled pull like I do, they have weak spots lol

4EverBoosted1

Reaction score
4everboosted1 Thank You everyone thinks the 6r's are bullet proof up to 800+ hp in reality if you run the crap outta it an sled pull like I do, they have weak spots lol

Yeah exactly, and I don't even run my truck very hard. What people fail to understand is that once you start adding serious power, nothing stock is "bulletproof."

4EverBoosted1

Reaction score
Elite is building mine. I am just doing testing on my stock one before I switch it out.

Latest posts

Members online