Amp step help!

Ice Cream Sammich

Reaction score
Howdy all,

I just finished doing all the hardware install for my 2016 F250 and AMP steps. It was all easy enough, but the wiring has me at a stopping point.

I ordered the kit without the OBD plug and cannot find the right wires to save my life. I mean I cant even find the first wire to splice into. I have 4 wires on the front passenger side with no connecting wires, yet.

Can anyone give some help/advice, pictures, or a video? Thanks!

BK39

Reaction score
3 of your wires will be under the passenger step plate, the 1 wire is behind the kick panel. Per the instructions, they all match up color wise. It can be a pain in the butt finding the right green wire, but it's there.

Attachments

• 20161008_154938.jpg
    20161008_154938.jpg
    843.2 KB · Views: 108

TripleE44

Reaction score
Not much to add, but damn that one green with purple wire or whatever is a pain in the ass to find. I swear there's 8 of them.

Ice Cream Sammich

Reaction score
Just got it all buttoned up. I just started hacking away and found them all.

The yellow wire. Somewhat complex, theyre two or three yellows.

Green and purple wire: 14-1500 of them. I have a lot of patch jobs on a lot of wire, but its all secure and back on the road.

Thanks for the help yall. It was just one of those things you just gotta do to figure it out.

Ice Cream Sammich

Reaction score
I will add, the passenger step plate would have been much easier. I did all of mine in the kick panel.

04cr450

Reaction score
i want amps badly but i have heard a lot of issues with them( sticking is the major problem). I have 3 buddies that have them, all have issues. For what they cost they shouldn't have these kinds of problems. I hate side steps hence why they would suit me well.
Good job getting it all figured, what a mess of wires.

sootie

Reaction score
If they stick, they probably have them aligned wrong and/or don't lubricate them.

oli6578

Reaction score
What should you lubricate with? I have had mine for 7 years with no issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ice Cream Sammich

Reaction score
One last question, the lights suck something bad. Purple and dim as ****. I am going to order some rock lights and wire the same as currently.

Question: does anyone know how many amps the stock lights draw? I lost my tester in a flood and haven't gotten around to buying another.

Thanks.

Betarocker

Reaction score
Instructions says to use Silicone lube.

I noticed the other night that one of me lamps quit working. I never had them on my previous truck so once the other ones stop, I won't be replacing them. I can't say they use much power as they are small low current LEDs. If you want to install substantially more powerful lights, use the AMP wiring as a trigger and for a relay.

Ice Cream Sammich

Reaction score
I found some 3 amp rock lights. That's about as low as they go, I think.

Where do you lube the steps? I didn't lube anything before installing.

1st last59

Reaction score
When I pressure wash my truck to get the mud off I always do it with the steps down. Therefore I lube them after I finish washing it. Or it will make noises. Sound like stuff is going bad wrong. But lube em up and they are silent and out of sight.

95cobby

Reaction score
Not much to add, but damn that one green with purple wire or whatever is a pain in the ass to find. I swear there's 8 of them.

Omg all those damn matte green wires! I wanted to poke my eyes out from staring to try and find the one that's different. Luckily got all 4 correct on first try :cheers:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Swampfox

Reaction score
I agree with the rest of you on the green/purple one. I swear I probed everyone while my wife opened and closed the door and it ended up being the last dang one I got to. On my 2016 I used the OBD port and it was much more simple. I've never had issues with any amp steps either, have had 3 different sets on 3 different trucks.

sootie

Reaction score
I agree with the rest of you on the green/purple one. I swear I probed everyone while my wife opened and closed the door and it ended up being the last dang one I got to. On my 2016 I used the OBD port and it was much more simple. I've never had issues with any amp steps either, have had 3 different sets on 3 different trucks.

LOL most people dont keep checking wires once they have found the correct one...

kinda like finding your lost keys in the last place you looked haha

just ribbin ya man!

BK39

Reaction score
One last question, the lights suck something bad. Purple and dim as ****. I am going to order some rock lights and wire the same as currently.

Question: does anyone know how many amps the stock lights draw? I lost my tester in a flood and haven't gotten around to buying another.

Thanks.

The lights that come with the kits do suck. Personally I went with LUX led lights. Wired them using all the amp stuff, no issues. They are magnetic too, so you can move them around until you find the perfect spot. I'm not sure what the stock lights draw, but the Lux lights didn't cause any issues. Had them for roughly 3 or 4 years.

Ice Cream Sammich

Reaction score
The lights that come with the kits do suck. Personally I went with LUX led lights. Wired them using all the amp stuff, no issues. They are magnetic too, so you can move them around until you find the perfect spot. I'm not sure what the stock lights draw, but the Lux lights didn't cause any issues. Had them for roughly 3 or 4 years.

Lux Lights are the exact ones that I am looking at. I superglued the AMP lights to the truck so now I get to deal with that...

Which Lux Lights did you go with? Monster, Max, Micro?

Latest posts

Members online