And the 6.4 goes boom again.

Nic

Reaction score
so cracked and f*ed up pistons are common in the 6.4s? I get the go from the ol lady in December for one. Im guessing it would be a good idea to put some elite pistons in it when i get it?

Erikclaw

Reaction score
so cracked and f*ed up pistons are common in the 6.4s? I get the go from the ol lady in December for one. Im guessing it would be a good idea to put some elite pistons in it when i get it?

Ported intake would be a good idea. Didn't catch witch piston cracked on Nick's but would bet it was on the back of the bank where they get less air flow.

Erikclaw

Reaction score
Is that what causes them? I'm glad I have one coming then!

I won't say that is what causes them, but it certainly doesn't help. No Limit's ic tube helps a lot also, it has a better design which also helps even out the air distribution.

Nic

Reaction score
good info..still thinking about the pistons tho. GOnna do it later on anyways. Might as well upgrade before a problem. but, in the wonderful HP world, for every upgrade, theres a weak link :blitzed:

Dustball8504

Reaction score
I won't say that is what causes them, but it certainly doesn't help. No Limit's ic tube helps a lot also, it has a better design which also helps even out the air distribution.

I have one of those sitting also, guess I better get it on. It can't help prevent failure sitting in the box LOL

Craig@MFI

Reaction score
I dont really think the intakes or intercooler pipes are helping this fact it was a bad designed piston by international why do you think they upgrade the maxx force pistons??? when i pulled my motor apart every piston had stress cracks coming out of the bowls

dstryr

Reaction score
I dont really think the intakes or intercooler pipes are helping this fact it was a bad designed piston by international why do you think they upgrade the maxx force pistons??? when i pulled my motor apart every piston had stress cracks coming out of the bowls

There is no radius there and with heat it causes cracks. Super easy to machine them out if you get the chance and worth it. Similar to the way DZchevy did his on a manual mill.

Emery19

Reaction score
its to bad you werent on the north east coast. if you were i'd be willing to tow your camper home for you.

anyways. good luck man. hope everything works out!

weekendwarriorfsw32

Reaction score
Thanks everyone very much for all of the extremely kind jesters to get me home but it worked out that AAA payed to get everything home. I guess the saying is Go big or Go home and I went big and went home but at least I went home big LOL
b66c5f8f.jpg

Then it turns out we were 17 ft over the legal limit so we had to have another wrecker come out and get the toy hauler
77a2bb12.jpg

And then once I got home the next day my best friend friend pulled me from my house to Ford
dc8c05c2.jpg

But at least I get a OUO lifted truck as a rental while mine is down :rockon:
d0417c20.jpg

So my plan with the truck is to make it stronger and more reliable then it was before so here is a tentative list of what I want to do while it's apart.
Elite HD pistons
Elite VGT Tow Power Turbo
Elite Intake manifold or similar intake
Snow Performance Stage 3 water injection
Thinking very hard on a Cam but I need to do more research to see if I will see the results I want to see.
Cryo a lot of things like bearings and rods although I am not sure if that will do anything for a PMR rod.
I want to do some Steed Speed manifolds but I would like to see some more real world results on it before I would do anything with it.
My main goal is to bring down my EGT's the most I can because when towing I see 1,200* very easy and I would have to work very hard to keep them under control at times pulling grades with 19K behind me.
I will let you guys know exactly what happened on Friday when I tear it down and fingers crossed I just put a hole in a piston with no cylinder damage.

blk350on20s

Reaction score
Thats a ****ty rental. Wouldnt have accepted it lol. Good luck with the build. Sounds very strong

Dustball8504

Reaction score
Couldn't they give you anything nicer to beat around while yours is down? Can't wait to see yours back on the road again! :D

Latest posts

Members online