Another pmr bites the dust..

littleredstroker

Reaction score
How long does that take ?

I guess want to do the swap in a day, is that realistic? I do not want to pull it all apart , wait for 6 months, then have to spend 3 weeks wondering Wtf went where

sent while looking at a hole in my block

Dieselboy.

Reaction score
How long does that take ?

I guess want to do the swap in a day, is that realistic? I do not want to pull it all apart , wait for 6 months, then have to spend 3 weeks wondering Wtf went where

If you have both engines, its feasible to swap them in a day if you know what you are doing.
If its your first time just plan on a weekend and take your time.

thuglike

Reaction score
If this is your first pull..figure 4-6 hours.

After that you can do it in 2 hours.

1 day is doable with 2 people with little to no experience with it

Black 02

Reaction score

:whs:

One of the hardest things for me was getting the turbo off. That S468 of mine is a biach.... Bell housing bolts suck also, but do-able with with correct tools.

The rest of it goes pretty easily. Thread the removed bolts into the parts they were removed from to help you keep track of everything. Takes a little longer, but pays off in the end.

bluedge8

Reaction score
why are you taking the used motor apart? if it's supposed to run good just drop it in and go, especially if it's "just temporary" as far as head gaskets go, your better off not touching them unless you need to.

TyCorr

Reaction score

This is true but experience isnt common across the board. Heres an example: my buddy helped me pull mine and i had him unplugging harnesses and i was stripping the frontend and then going to pull the turbo and unbolt the tc. He told me "this.harness up here is unplugged but.has something in it(a resistor for the aih). Its ziptied, what do you want me to do?" I told him "well, cut it so you can......" Snip... Get out from under the truck and as suspected he took my Klein dykes and cut the.dang connector of the pigtail. He was nice.enough to leave 1/4" of wire sticking out the backside of the connector. :doh: I was like wtf are you thinking? He has a e99, hes done.some mild mods, why the heck would anybody who knows one wrench from another cut a g&#$£%n harness!? So I spent the next two hours watching him instead of carelessly wrenching. He took my alternator off the drivers.side and threw the bolts over in my lawn! I had to fake being done to get him outta there,lol. My wife was much better help. And she takes direction if.she.doesnt understand what I mean.

Getting a good hand is tough. Id like to work next to some of you good guys once and see how.quick stuff.goes. I pulled mine in two days working on it.for.about three hours the first night and then I had to run my help off. The next day I had it on the stand in an hour. I think it would have taken about two with a capable helper.

Keep the input coming! This is a good read.

littleredstroker

Reaction score
why are you taking the used motor apart? if it's supposed to run good just drop it in and go, especially if it's "just temporary" as far as head gaskets go, your better off not touching them unless you need to.

Because I am not sure of the condition... I just know it had medium miles and was pulled out of a van ... Would be extremely pissed to go through all the hassle to find out its got a piston cracked through

bluedge8

Reaction score
This is true but experience isnt common across the board. Heres an example: my buddy helped me pull mine and i had him unplugging harnesses and i was stripping the frontend and then going to pull the turbo and unbolt the tc. He told me "this.harness up here is unplugged but.has something in it(a resistor for the aih). Its ziptied, what do you want me to do?" I told him "well, cut it so you can......" Snip... Get out from under the truck and as suspected he took my Klein dykes and cut the.dang connector of the pigtail. He was nice.enough to leave 1/4" of wire sticking out the backside of the connector. :doh: I was like wtf are you thinking? He has a e99, hes done.some mild mods, why the heck would anybody who knows one wrench from another cut a g&#$£%n harness!? So I spent the next two hours watching him instead of carelessly wrenching. He took my alternator off the drivers.side and threw the bolts over in my lawn! I had to fake being done to get him outta there,lol. My wife was much better help. And she takes direction if.she.doesnt understand what I mean.

Getting a good hand is tough. Id like to work next to some of you good guys once and see how.quick stuff.goes. I pulled mine in two days working on it.for.about three hours the first night and then I had to run my help off. The next day I had it on the stand in an hour. I think it would have taken about two with a capable helper.

Keep the input coming! This is a good read.
well that sucks, but I've had similar happen.
Because I am not sure of the condition... I just know it had medium miles and was pulled out of a van ... Would be extremely pissed to go through all the hassle to find out its got a piston cracked through

While I understand that, it sucks to have to open it up if you don't have to.

dentexpowerstroke

Reaction score

Do you know why it was pulled? If it came from a wrecked van, it obviously ran when it hit something. If it ran before I would just run it.

bigfords

Reaction score
It sounds like some are hesitant to pull heads because of getting them to reseal. Is that typically a problem? I've got a 7.3 on a stand right now with one of the heads off...I'm planning on getting the heads resurfaced and checked out by a machine shop, then new gaskets on install.

DocBar

Reaction score
It sounds like some are hesitant to pull heads because of getting them to reseal. Is that typically a problem? I've got a 7.3 on a stand right now with one of the heads off...I'm planning on getting the heads resurfaced and checked out by a machine shop, then new gaskets on install.
Get a good mill & magnaflux done to them and baby it for a while to let the gaskets cook on.

littleredstroker

Reaction score
Get a good mill & magnaflux done to them and baby it for a while to let the gaskets cook on.

Dumb question.. why?

If both surfaces are clean why would it not seal ? It's not like they are heads off a different truck where if it was warped a certain way it wouldn't seal. Is that what the issue is ? Idk I'm just asking

DocBar

Reaction score
Dumb question.. why?

If both surfaces are clean why would it not seal ? It's not like they are heads off a different truck where if it was warped a certain way it wouldn't seal. Is that what the issue is ? Idk I'm just asking

There is a tendency for fresh HG's on 7.3's to blow. Once they've cooked on for a while, they seem to be pretty tough. That's why everyone says to leave the original HG sealed up, if at all possible.

Latest posts

Members online