Anybody replace their HPOP hoses with this?

clydesdale

Reaction score
CNC FABRICATION 7.3L SD REPLACEMENT HPOP LINES

I am getting ready to rebuild the fittings and lines. This seems interesting, but I certainly do not want to screw with the HPOP system. I remember when people first started experimenting with the HPOP crossover line and many ended up dumping tons of oil all over there engine. To this day I still don't have that mod. It seems like more trouble than it is worth. I want to make sure that this does not fall into the same category.

I guess one down side I see is that I would have to travel with the original parts. If I were to break down 1000 miles from home, I don't want to be stuck with custom parts for this system. Any thoughts?

psduser1

Reaction score
I'be played with diffeet hydraulic hose, almost all of them are rated plenty high enough on the pressure side.
The heat rating is at least as important, and much harder to meet.
As far as the fittings, they work great.

Dieselsmoke

Reaction score
I know the Cnc things are very popular on the org. I have met Corey since he lives 45 minutes away from me. His customer service is top notch.

clydesdale

Reaction score
How do most of the aftermarket HPOP systems connect the hoses? Do they use the stock hoses? I am very hesitant to change something that seems to work just fine. But, I have always been concerned about a leak and now that I am going to disturb the system, I'd like to make it as bullet proof as possible. I don't want to be stuck on the side of the road, down 2 gallons of oil.

mandkole

Reaction score
Yikes, that's pretty pricey for a couple of foot long -6 hose assys with standard JIC ends. If they are 275-300F heat rated, they would be ok (performance wise)-- but still too much money.

Ive been in the hose mfg business for years and lots of well built hose assemblies would work. The best selections will have 3000 psi WP and 300F temp rating. Be careful with big 2 wire braid hoses as they will be a bastard to install due to having high force to bend over a short distance. In my case, I use our Gates MegaTech3000 hoses because they would work perfect in this application and are free.

clydesdale

Reaction score
I am looking to make this very close to bullet proof. My stock hoses have been in play since 9/2001, so I am ok with that. I don't want to experiment. But, if there is a trusted upgrade, I am all for it. I'd love to get rid of any weakness like additional o-rings. I do not want to be stuck on the side of the road over a hose decision. Are the JIC fittings more reliable than the quick fits?

mandkole

Reaction score
Oring quick connect seals are robust and fast for new truck production, but in a service application on an old truck, the JIC connector is more available, more cost effective, and will work just fine.

If you look around, you can find the 'OEM style' hose but its very low volume and expensive. Not every distributor is approved to sell them. If you feel good about the performance its offered you, then stick with it. At the end of the day, a good hose on this high demand application is worth it. Navistar didnt scrimp for a reason...

m j

Reaction score
I did stainless hardline on my OBS
I wouldnt hesitate to use that kit.
I do not see a benefit to the STC fittings, it doesnt take that long to undo a JIC hose and you arent in to it often enough to require an STC that takes a special tool

you can see a bit here when I was doing fuel lines

IMG_20131124_164015_zpsf085f3f0.png

they are almost impossible to see when its all together as the PS is under the GPR

IMG_20131208_153045_zps1ee42d61.png

psduser1

Reaction score
I did stainless hardline on my OBS
I wouldnt hesitate to use that kit.
I do not see a benefit to the STC fittings, it doesnt take that long to undo a JIC hose and you arent in to it often enough to require an STC that takes a special tool

you can see a bit here when I was doing fuel lines

IMG_20131124_164015_zpsf085f3f0.png

they are almost impossible to see when its all together as the PS is under the GPR

IMG_20131208_153045_zps1ee42d61.png
Thats a lot of yellow! Looks good, though.
I'm not sold on the steel hpop lines, as the hose can dissipate some pump vibration. Of course, I'm not not sure that matters, either. No way to test for harmonics. :shrug:

psduser1

Reaction score
I get mine through whatever contractor I'm working for, but Google swagelock, or bi-lock. They make fittings, and can sell you tubing.
Any piping supply house will have it also. Columbia pipe, berghorst, are local to me, for example. Grainger and McMaster carr may carry some also, don't know how their prices compare.
.035 wall is good for 4100 psi, in ss, if I remember correctly. That's usually available up to 3/8 diameter, or you can jump to .045 wall.
Just know you'll need a good quality bender when the wall thickness goes up, or you'll have a hard time getting a nice radius.

m j

Reaction score
hydraulic supplyer sent me to the tubing supplier. so I would say a hydraulic shop should know where to get it

CATDiezel

Reaction score
I would say caterpillar heui engines do fine with steel hard lines then your OK. So do common rail engines at 25k+psi on the lines...

ja_cain

Reaction score
I get mine through whatever contractor I'm working for, but Google swagelock, or bi-lock. They make fittings, and can sell you tubing.
Any piping supply house will have it also. Columbia pipe, berghorst, are local to me, for example. Grainger and McMaster carr may carry some also, don't know how their prices compare.
.035 wall is good for 4100 psi, in ss, if I remember correctly. That's usually available up to 3/8 diameter, or you can jump to .045 wall.
Just know you'll need a good quality bender when the wall thickness goes up, or you'll have a hard time getting a nice radius.

McMaster carries Yorlok which is similar to swagelok. You can also get Parker fittings/valves pretty much exactly like swagelok on Amazon for good prices relative to what I pay the swagelok dealer. The swagelok stuff looks to be machined slightly better/cleaner. I buy my swagelok from Dibert Valve and Fitting here in Richmond and have used this stuff a lot over the past 5 years. It is extremely nice and very easy to take apart and reassemble as long as you swage the connections correctly. Stuff is pretty pricey though. This is what I am doing my fuel system with if I ever get that far.

psduser1

Reaction score
What's the Max temp for the hard line? I'd imagen they're stronger then a hydraulic hose.

Depends on wall thickness for burst rating. Temp- shouldn't matter, steel, or stainless steel, doesn't start to change physical properties until around 1200*. In other words, not a problem.

jtgf250

Reaction score
McMaster carries Yorlok which is similar to swagelok. You can also get Parker fittings/valves pretty much exactly like swagelok on Amazon for good prices relative to what I pay the swagelok dealer. The swagelok stuff looks to be machined slightly better/cleaner. I buy my swagelok from Dibert Valve and Fitting here in Richmond and have used this stuff a lot over the past 5 years. It is extremely nice and very easy to take apart and reassemble as long as you swage the connections correctly. Stuff is pretty pricey though. This is what I am doing my fuel system with if I ever get that far.

Same place we get all our Swagelok from as well I believe.
Just started building my fuel system as well with it.

What's the Max temp for the hard line? I'd imagen they're stronger then a hydraulic hose.

We use the Swagelok all over our mill in an Industrial environment in and out of our machines and no issues with temp. It holds up very well to chemicals and temps here, motor should be no issue.

Just remember if using Swagelok, do not mix it with other brands. It is made to be proprietary.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.