anyone whos used RCD's black onyx head gaskets chime in

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
No matter what amount of machining or prep work that you do is gonna escape the inevitable with the Reinz gaskets. I don't care what anybody tries to tell you. Not to mention the deck heights change between the two, if I recall. Stock is the meal ticket.

Breaking Habits

Reaction score
No matter what amount of machining or prep work that you do is gonna escape the inevitable with the Reinz gaskets. I don't care what anybody tries to tell you. Not to mention the deck heights change between the two, if I recall. Stock is the meal ticket.

To each his own! Plenty of high horsepower trucks out there using BOHG though. FWIW.

mhop

Reaction score
I have done about 20 head gasket jobs on 6.0 and used BO head gaskets. I have never had a problem. Maybe its not the head gasket thats failing. Maybe its the installer? :lookaround:

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
May be.... Especially considering the change in clearneces, and tolerances for that matter, when going with the Reinz gaskets.

Y'all do what you need to, to make money. It still doesn't change the facts. Which are side by side, the stock gaskets last longer, take more abuse, and don't have a high failure right all things equal compared to the BOG. They also don't mess with compression or valve train ;)

Last edited:

Johnboy3

Reaction score
May be.... Especially considering the change in clearneces, and tolerances for that matter, when going with the Reinz gaskets.

Y'all do what you need to, to make money. It still doesn't change the facts. Which are side by side, the stock gaskets last longer, take more abuse, and don't have a high failure right all things equal compared to the BOG. They also don't mess with compression or valve train ;)

Just curious, what is the thickeness different on these gaskets.

Cobra 19 & 54

Reaction score
I remember reading that the variance in thickness was the issue and if you take that into account then you shouldn't have a problem. The HG's themselves vary in a kit, I've had two sets, and both failed but I didn't do the labor so I'm not sure of the prep.

Moremph

Reaction score
WE have done prolly 20 sets of head gaskets this year, All but two were using The Victor Reinz gaskets. 4 failures, Two trucks with very mild tow tunes from reputable tuners, studed egr deletes, new oil coolers. machined heads PROPERLY!! I am very meticulous about that. Two were on trucks with IDE Extreme tunes, one had a set of elite tow power injectors and an aurora 3000. The other 16 sets as far as i know they are fine and still out thier havent had any complaints from them.

I have no definative answers but i am starting to question them, oh yea two of those failures were on trucks that get more miles in 6 months then most people do in over a year if that matters. THe Victor Reinz gaskets are thinner i think we measure 5 thousands on crushed gaskets with a mic.

Who is right who is wrong i dunno but i do know we have went back to buying the ford ones till something else comes out or thier is a definative answer, I am in buisness to not be redoing work, because of an inferior product

Travis

ckyguy68

Reaction score
Put Victor Reinz Black Onyx gaskets on mine in May, they were blown by October, 7000 miles later. The heads were checked and within .003". I'll admit the truck was driven very hard. 30+ Drag strip passes, Sand dunes, Towing (only 3,000 pounds), and aggressive daily driving. You can see the difference in thickness, the OEM ones are thicker. In my opinion, the OEM ones are more expensive for a reason. Why put in a questionable part? The stock HGs were not the main concern of these engines anyway it was the TTY head bolts and faulty EGR cooler.

907DAVE

Reaction score
I have only used the BO gaskets once, any you guessed it - they failed roughly 6 months later.

Like all the other jobs, the heads were pressure tested and decked and the block checked for flatness. Also the studs were allowed to rest overnight before final torque. Every time I do any engine work I am stupid meticulous, and really get burned when I have to do it over.

Redneck6.0L

Reaction score
Every truck I put black oxys gaskets in have failed. Stick with factroy ford gaskets. Sometimes you get what you pay for

Reaction score
I have had one truck with Black Onyx's come back, it was a year later and about 10,000 miles on them. That truck was actually the last one that I put BO gaskets in because I started to hear of these issues. I haven't had one issue with the OEM gaskets and I am stupid anal about any engine work and the block and head prep I know was done right.

sloans4x4

Reaction score
i have done roughly 20 with BO and I have one coming back Monday. How are you guys cleaning/prepping the heads and block? Ford approved cleaner and plastic scraper, or die grinder with 3m scotchbrite pads?

IdahoF350

Reaction score
Well, I posted on the first page that I installed the VR /BO gaskets. Long story short, about a month after the install, the filter on the aftermarket coolant filter I installed at the time of the gaskets spun loose and it pushed coolant out between the filter and the base. This happened while towing at 22k gross combined. The truck got hot, popped the warning message "Check Gauges" and I had it off the road in 300-400ft! Added water to cool it down and tightened the filter. Proceeded with that trip and another over the summer, about 9,000 miles of relatively heavy towing, and another 13k running empty, then: Gasket Failure.

This thread, and many more like it have prompted me to spend the extra and use OE gaskets this time around. And it's not that much more money in the big picture. You can get VRs from $55/each, but you really ought to replace the high pressure oil stand pipes, at $40/each. That's $95 a side, and the gasket kits from Ford cost me $149/each. I don't want to do this again for a LONG time, so I'm not taking the chance on VRs again.

Matt_P

Reaction score
Already blew the **** out of my black onyxs after only a month, im pulling the cab back off tomorrow and putting OEM on

java

Reaction score
That sucks matt! Mine lasted 6 months and i was pissed, i can't imagine how you feel..

IdahoF350

Reaction score
When you guys get them apart, look at the gasket, block, and especially the head. Mine went on three adjacent cylinders right next to the exhaust valve.

Now, about the number of layers and the thickness: Both have 5 layers! The VR/BO is definately thinner, I'll measure them later and post the numbers on crushed gaskets (I have a blown set of each now). The difference is the OE gasket has two thick layers and the VR only have one.

Latest posts

Members online