anyone whos used RCD's black onyx head gaskets chime in

Matt_P

Reaction score
68 powermax time :redspotdance:

Thats what Id like to do! Just gotta see how much this machine shop bill and everything is gonna set me back first.

The drivers side headgasket was blown on every cylinder real good, in between the first two layes some of the seal was non existant any more.

Mdub707

Reaction score
You can get VRs from $55/each, but you really ought to replace the high pressure oil stand pipes, at $40/each. That's $95 a side, and the gasket kits from Ford cost me $149/each. I don't want to do this again for a LONG time, so I'm not taking the chance on VRs again.

Check with Sunrise maybe? Tousley has them for $135 per side...

I scored a set of OEM gaskets brand new on ebay for $200 shipped. Came with the new stand pipes, and head bolts. Not that I'll be using the headbolts, but still.

I'm definitely using OEM, no questions about it.

IdahoF350

Reaction score
Check with Sunrise maybe? Tousley has them for $135 per side...

I scored a set of OEM gaskets brand new on ebay for $200 shipped. Came with the new stand pipes, and head bolts. Not that I'll be using the headbolts, but still.

I'm definitely using OEM, no questions about it.

By the time I have stuff shipped, it's a wash, but for people who don't have a decent dealer connection those are good sources.

Mdub707

Reaction score
Sunrise quoted me $25 to ship a front bumper from Cali to me in upstate NY. Not to shabby on their shipping prices. I think it cost more than that and they offered to eat 1/2 of it.

Obviously easier for you to go with your local guy for sure though. For those who aren't local though, shipping still shouldn't be too bad.

Bean

Reaction score
Wish everyone would have posted this sooner, but does kinda make me feel better I was starting to think a 6.0 was impossible to keep a gasket in.

We started using all VR gaskets over a year ago maybe even further back due to a couple with OEM gaskets blowing on hotter trucks. Seemed to fix the problem so been using them ever since. Seems like we have not had issues until recently, keep getting more and more coming back pukin their guts out. We always surface the heads and most of the time replace them due to cracking. Block deck is cleaned and check for straightness and tq specs followed to a T, blowing gaskets on trucks that are barely more then stock.

So here is the other kicker, got one in that someone else had done studs and gaskets on it and was puking. They used one VR gasket and one OEM, guess witch one blew...

We have one other that we did the same way as a test to see if that truck ever came back witch gasket would be blown. Well its puking again we just have not got it back yet to tear it down. It was a brand new short block and brand new heads so no issues there with cleaning or surface. We checked them both with a straight edge as we do all of them. When we get that one back in I will report the results.

907DAVE

Reaction score
We have one other that we did the same way as a test to see if that truck ever came back witch gasket would be blown. Well its puking again we just have not got it back yet to tear it down. It was a brand new short block and brand new heads so no issues there with cleaning or surface. We checked them both with a straight edge as we do all of them. When we get that one back in I will report the results.

Thats one hell of a way to test them....lol.

Latest posts

Members online