Are 6.0's really that bad?

pennsylvaniaboy

Reaction score
So I am looking at upgrading from my OBS.... I have a 7.3 idi with 270k.

I am tossing around the idea of a 7.3 truck with either auto or manual

Or a 6.0 with auto or manual.

I keep hearing that the 6.0 is horrible, expensive, and unreliable. But at the same time I have heard that with some deletes and a tuner, the 6.0's hit higher horsepower than the 7.3 for the same money....I have also heard that the auto trans in the 6.0 are much better, than the 4R100's..

Here is the thing, my IDI is deadnuts reliable, easy to work on etc. From what I know the 7.3 can be worked on by the average Joe, the 6.0 is supposedly much harder to trouble shoot, and work on. And very troublesome....

I guess my question is, I can find 6.0s for very reasonable prices, with decent mileage, for better prices than 7.3s for similar mileage.... But are they really that bad?

Lang

Reaction score
In AWOL section their is a lengthy post on 6.0s. People bashing 6.0's believe is title

yeehaw

Reaction score
my first one was pretty good but had some odd electrical issues. Bought another one, truck runs great, i beat the piss out of it, BUT it is an odd motor none the less, do some research and really hunt to find a good one that was taken care of.

HOOV3R

Reaction score
There are lots of 6.0 haters out there, and a lot of us that completely love them. Just make sure the truck your looking at isn't beat, and doesn't have a large amount of idle time.

Extended Power

Reaction score
If you aren't scared to get your hands dirty, and can fix the major issues with them, you won't have too many issues at all...if any.
But if your a person that takes their truck or car in for every little bit of service work...you will go broke.

bad12jr

Reaction score
A 7.3 is a little easier to understand the system design of the huei system from the get go but the operate on the same principal. If you not scared of low voltage electrical troubleshooting you will have no problems working on it. A good investment is autoenginuity for diagnosing help.

Sent from my x2 chillin in the middle of no where

STROKIN N STYLE

Reaction score
My uncle just picked up a 6.0 last week. It runs awesome. Doing the deletes this week and studs. If you do what it takes, you'll have a great running long lasting truck

imelmo

Reaction score
My uncle just picked up a 6.0 last week. It runs awesome. Doing the deletes this week and studs. If you do what it takes, you'll have a great running long lasting truck

^^^This. I like that people bash 'em. Makes 'em a lot cheaper to buy when I go and act all concerned about it being a 6.0. :D Just make sure you account for the studs and stuff in the price of buying one.

POWER-STRUCK

Reaction score
if you are happy with an idi then a stock 7.3 di or stock 6.0 will have more power than you will ever need!

pennsylvaniaboy

Reaction score
my idi, as a DD is great, plenty peppy, where it can struggle is when you put 12-14k behind it and tow. It will get there, but not doing 70mph....the other reason is I would like to get into a crewcab.

I have a feeling that a 7.3 or 6.0 would serve me well with tuner, intake, exhaust, and maybe a wicked wheel... that being said, i wouldnt be bombing the 6.0 that much, so would it hold up?

speedinpowerstroke

Reaction score
I love mine! even though I blew the head gasket. I studded it and added a few things and still am adding things, but its a BEAST. I used to hate ford I was chevy alll the way now I love my ford and its a 6.0 people bash it till I smoke them at the track or light to light truth is do the egr delete head studs couple other little things and shoot you got a perfectly good truck that will last you plently long and you will still pay less then a same year cummins or duramax. 6.0 stroker FTW

strokethis_06

Reaction score
Drove mine for a year on xtreme race before head gaskets blew. Studded it. Now has a s366 and hybrids with no issues.

smokedout250

Reaction score
I love mine! I blew a head gasket at 67k.... But I was running srl and ran they hell out of it doin burn outs. I studded it been enjoying it ever since!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pennsylvaniaboy

Reaction score
Yeh, they can be had for a lot cheaper, and it seems if you stud it, do the deletes, and add a coolant filter, they are great...

swamp_ratt

Reaction score
We've had a LOT of good luck with our 6.0 at work. 95k miles, closing on 8000 hours. Had an egr cooler and oil cooler replaced, that's it for 6.0 problems. We run it hard, and it sees a lot of idle/high idle time as it is a service truck. Been a good truck. One of the few we can rely on every day to get the job done!

swamp_ratt

Reaction score
Oh, and ours weighs 18,000 pounds and I still pick on ricers with it occasionally. It is time for injectors however. After long run times without driving it smokes blue quite a bit till you drive it and clear it out

Fordguy100

Reaction score
I would but another in a heartbeat. People are scared of them and it drives their cost down, which means I can afford them. Budget a good grand for maintaince and deletes right off the bat (or more depending on if you do studs right off) and you should be golden!

Latest posts

Members online