Arp studs+ black onyx gaskets=fail

DMAX

Reaction score
Go to GoGo's website. Copper are still up in the air on wether or not they are better than MLS since they dont conform as well. Head/Block prep have to be alot better and may even have to take a little more off to get the flatest surface possible.

Last edited:

hawgdoctor

Reaction score
Go to GoGo's website. Copper are still up in the air on wether or not they are better than MLS since they dont conform as well. Head/Block prep have to be alot better and may even have to take a little more off to get the flatest surface possible.

Yes you can look at dougs site, but he has better pics on his facebook if I remember correctly. That set was also used on danny's truck so I am also very curious to see how they hold up. His heads were also oringed to combat extreme boost.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

sly1types

Reaction score
Update--

Now its puking every time I get on it. I even got a new cap because I was getting the tea kettle whistle on the old cap. It also started burning coolant.

Here is vid. It smoked like this in the morning for about 5 min then this afternoon for about 3 min after sitting for an hour, but then it sat for about 3hrs and didn't smoke at all.

How long can I drive it like this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxNCZ30xNXU&list=UUhWIT2_0X4ApldDoRdFkCwA&index=1&feature=plcp

idkillinit

Reaction score
Re stud it with stock gaskets.

Call arp they will tell you DO NOT REUSE they are torque to yeild bolts reguardless of what people say about them re using in the past 500 or less isnt worth it agian.

When my motor went ford checked the heads and they were .007 warped. Only 7 thousands and they failed so Idk how much they let slide. The way they saved money with me was ordering heads and long block sep...

DO NOT REUSE ARP STUDS. This is the only thing about the "h-11" studs that is better is yoi can re use them but with the supplied torque numbers the Arp bolts have much more clamping force.

All high HP trucks use factory gaskets.

jdgleason

Reaction score
Its not the gaskets fault - your issue is the lack of care from the Ford dealer on the head surfacing and block prep IMO. Reuse your studs, buy the gasket of your choice, and make sure your heads spend time at a machine shop.

We have seen failures recently on several trucks. All of which had the black onyx gaskets. We do not use them in house any longer. It seems to be hit or miss with them, but the misses seem to be getting more and more common.

Zmann

Reaction score
solid copper = not MLS( Multi Layer Steel) =solid copper can't deal with different rate expansion cycles of the different metals over time ,, works great with similar metals

sly1types

Reaction score
I agree I will use oem gaskets and have the heads decked.

I was told that you can reuse the ARPs as long as you get new lube, can anyone confirm this?

Is that smoke for sure from the coolant/HG problem or could it be an injector?

Zmann

Reaction score
I agree I will use oem gaskets and have the heads decked.

I was told that you can reuse the ARPs as long as you get new lube, can anyone confirm this?

I have an email into ARP tech as of an hour ago to confirm or deny,, I will post back .. but they are not TTY IMHO but the reuse issue .. IDK

your not supposed to re use U bolts either ,,, ever seen one fail that wasn't related to something other than reuse ,,

I also have bottles of locktite that was expired works great lol but the FAA no likely

$500.00$ is a chunk of change for most Blu collars on I paid for ARP's out of pocket,, even though it was under warranty I would rather reuse my ARP's then stick in those TTY OEM bolts

Last edited:

idkillinit

Reaction score
And u just realized I'm referring to 6.4 studs and this is the 6.0 section. Oops Idk if the material os.the same bit the 6.4 studs are Tq to yield.

lubeowner

Reaction score
If i made head studs, i would tell you they are a one time use, so i sell more. Now in the real world they are and have been reused several times by many. The most i have resused a set of arps is 5. Right or wrong it works.

Zmann

Reaction score

is not cheap insurance if it's not going to cover anything IMHO
it's a 500.00 dollar waste of money

these ARP's even sell for decent money used

ps I am not chasing you around the forums contradicting you We just keep showing up on the same threads lol

If I had a ton of money I wouldn't reuse ARP because they wouldn't work in my common rail conversion ;-)

Last edited:

strokin_girl04

Reaction score
I think your right...

Have seen anyone blowing HGs with oem gaskets, studs when they are machined? If so what power level?

What gaskets do you have? How many miles on them?

Matt's race truck put down almost 1000hp on fuel in November. He used Ford OEM gaskets, APR Studs w/ ARP lube, the torque specs from ARP, he had the heads machined flat, with no variances like Ford is ok with, and made sure the block is clean. They have held for over a year, at least 15 passes down the strip, many many many test drives down the back roads, and 4-5 dyno runs. When it gets rebuilt, it's not because of the gaskets. His daily driver is the same situation. My 6.0 has blown head gaskets. Wanna take a guess at who did them?

From what I know, Shawn also uses OEM gaskets and ARP's. And both Shawn and Matt have re-used them, as the trucks pretty much get rebuilt between each season. Hope this helps.

Oh yeah and the only truck that Matt has done Black Onyx gaskets on, much against our recommendation, did end up blowing them.

Last edited:

idkillinit

Reaction score
I guess it depends really on what your doing and how often it will b apart. I tow heavy through mountains and such where cyl preside is very high for long periods of time. Quarter mile passes are 10 seconds not hours. That is why I wont reuse. Not that it doesn't work but piece of mind is better to me.

Latest posts

Members online