Arp studs+ black onyx gaskets=fail

strokin_girl04

Reaction score
I know many "every day" trucks that have reused their studs. I will be reusing mine come the end of March when we finally get time to do them. My truck tows the race truck and race trailer across country to races. I have don't have a doubt in my mind that my studs will work.

Also, another thing that I've noticed that no one has touched on is tuning? OP whose tunes are you running. My truck pukes with certain tunes. I won't say what tune or whose tuning does it, because I have the utmost respect for all of them out there, but I do have several tunes from Matt, Eric, and Tad.

idkillinit

Reaction score
I tow erics race.truck with erics extreme street.. never puked. I also tow skid loaders and a 38ft cat hull off shore boat. I never take extreme street off unless I'm putting extreme race on.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
you do realize this is the 6.0 section ?

makita... nice avatar.

idkillinit

Reaction score
Yep. I cleared that up already and said I was speaking for 6.4 studs

Mike what's woth you protesting everything I say today :swordfight:

Zmann

Reaction score
:blitzed:I know

it seems like everyone is out to get you lol
all in a day of good conversation

sly1types

Reaction score
I know many "every day" trucks that have reused their studs. I will be reusing mine come the end of March when we finally get time to do them. My truck tows the race truck and race trailer across country to races. I have don't have a doubt in my mind that my studs will work.

Also, another thing that I've noticed that no one has touched on is tuning? OP whose tunes are you running. My truck pukes with certain tunes. I won't say what tune or whose tuning does it, because I have the utmost respect for all of them out there, but I do have several tunes from Matt, Eric, and Tad.

I run Matt's SRL tunes. I have never heard of trucks puking on certain tunes. What tunes make your truck puke? I ran these tunes for about a year before these recent problems.

sly1types

Reaction score
What do you guys think of that vid I posted on Pg3? Is that because of the HG problem? How long can I drive it like this?

Zmann

Reaction score
FYI
ARP did reply

As long as the studs have not been overtorqued and or stretched and were
installed correctly they will be re-usable.
Regards,
###########
Automotive Racing Products
(805) 339-2200 ext. 2

4cstr

Reaction score
You can chalk me up to having Black Onyx HG's blow quickly.

When Dan (Midwest Trans) first did the Ex, he had the heads shipped off to be milled. 8600 miles later the gaskets blew again. We don't tow with the Ex. When he took the heads off a second time..he said the gasket material around the #5 cylinder was peeling. The studs were still torqued to spec...and he had the heads shipped off...again...to be planed. They were shipped back saying they were perfect. So far...knock on wood...no puking with this set. I think Dan put BO's back on the second time instead of OEMs. BO would only warranty the 1 gasket...not both...nor the labor involved with replacing.

Reaction score
mine had black onyx gaskets put in it by PO. truck was studed and deleted when i bought it. the gaskets didnt have 5k miles on them when i tore it apart gaskets where junk

IdahoF350

Reaction score
631e3c71-3f88-bbc8.jpg
631e3c71-3fab-2eba.jpg
631e3c71-4017-1b96.jpg

Note that the coating is absent from the failure point. Also note that the failure point is directly next to the exhaust valve on all but the end cylinder. I suspect the gasket can't handle the heat at the adjacent cylinder, explaining why the gaskets were blown in exactly the same relationship to the head on both sides of my engine. The drivers rear and passenger front cylinders not having lost their seal.

Latest posts

Members online