B code v.s. Hybrid

blackbetty13

Reaction score
WOP's lightning also only weighs 5000 lbs... If not less

Ok Bryans trucks has hybrids. yes there might be a slight weight difference, but Wop went 9s on 240Cc b codes. Imagine what they could do with 350cc b codes. Not to mention they made 900+ hp with 240cc b codes.

Chvyrkr

Reaction score
Lets add some dyno sheets to the discussion and take a look at power curves...

Somebody?

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
Due to pressure drops contained inside the injector - if you had three injectors, one an A-code, one a B-code, and one a hybrid - and all three were IDENTICAL other than the injection ratio - the A-code would preform with the highest injection pressure at low ICP, long PW conditions - the Hybrid would perform with the highest injection pressure at high ICP, low PW conditions - and the B-code would be a somewhere in between on both accounts. A b-code makes for a nice well rounded injector - and A-code makes a great low end, beginner injector, and a hybrid makes a good all out performance injector.

Jason
Its about time i get some info ahha, thats exactly what i was wanting to know!

So most guys running larger hybrids are either using great tuning to make up for the low RPM/ Low icp lack of injection quality or they are just living with it because the difference is so minimal most guys would never tell? The hybrid must be the popular choice among people because you dont HAVE to have big oil to run them on the street and the A code just cant be stroked that large?

I really want to try a set of B codes just so i can see for myself. Seems as though if youve got all your ducks in a row that it would be the best option for a guy that does all his driving on the street rather than on the track

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
the lightening has 240cc b codes with what nozzles?? You have to realize they are running a BOAT load of nitrous, i realize you need the fuel there to burn but using that as a comparrison in this conversation doenst help much.

Not all of us have built engines and can use the full potential of the injector with some laughing gas. This should be a fuel only discussion, which it sounds like the hybrid will out perform if your talking 100% performance side of things.... daily driving is another story

Chvyrkr

Reaction score
Its about time i get some info ahha, thats exactly what i was wanting to know!

So most guys running larger hybrids are either using great tuning to make up for the low RPM/ Low icp lack of injection quality or they are just living with it because the difference is so minimal most guys would never tell? The hybrid must be the popular choice among people because you dont HAVE to have big oil to run them on the street and the A code just cant be stroked that large?

I really want to try a set of B codes just so i can see for myself. Seems as though if youve got all your ducks in a row that it would be the best option for a guy that does all his driving on the street rather than on the track

As oil enters the injector it goes through a pressure drop. No way around it yet, although there were promising rumors a while back.

So, a stroked A code or B code that needs more oil to push the intensifier piston far enough to inject an equal amount of fuel as the hybrid will with a shorter stroke, will start to lag as RPM's increase and the HPO drop becomes exaggerated.

So, by that theory a hybrid may have the shorter end of the stick down low, but will walk away up top.

Now, whether the difference down low for the hybrid, or up top for the stroked A's and B codes makes enough difference to hurt anything is what is usually hotly debated.

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
As oil enters the injector it goes through a pressure drop. No way around it yet, although there were promising rumors a while back.

So, a stroked A code or B code that needs more oil to push the intensifier piston far enough to inject an equal amount of fuel as the hybrid will with a shorter stroke, will start to lag as RPM's increase and the HPO drop becomes exaggerated.

So, by that theory a hybrid may have the shorter end of the stick down low, but will walk away up top.

Now, whether the difference down low for the hybrid, or up top for the stroked A's and B codes makes enough difference to hurt anything is what is usually hotly debated.
Yeah it seems very tough to get an answer as to which is better for the guy racing on weekends and daily driving all week. Some high profile trucks are running both, its not like all the 11 second trucks have one certain injector, there are lots of varieties. Also lots of varieties of nozzles and such, heck thuglike just did 700 on 200% nozzles on fuel alone then my truck does 500hp on those same injectors!!

Chvyrkr

Reaction score
Yeah it seems very tough to get an answer as to which is better for the guy racing on weekends and daily driving all week. Some high profile trucks are running both, its not like all the 11 second trucks have one certain injector, there are lots of varieties. Also lots of varieties of nozzles and such, heck thuglike just did 700 on 200% nozzles on fuel alone then my truck does 500hp on those same injectors!!

Hybrids...

Gotta remember a shop will spend more time working on a promising new part than a sufficient old part.

So hybrids have had more R&D I'd expect.

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
Hybrids...

Gotta remember a shop will spend more time working on a promising new part than a sufficient old part.

So hybrids have had more R&D I'd expect.

Yeah i see your point! you dont hear many people that preach the B code, but the ones that do are pretty well known/successful guys in the powerstroke world

Chvyrkr

Reaction score
Yeah the Bcode fans are hardcore.

I'm tryin to think about who's runnin them though, and I can only think of two that can preach about them with any merit.

And one of those doesn't do the forum thing.

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
Yeah the Bcode fans are hardcore.

I'm tryin to think about who's runnin them though, and I can only think of two that can preach about them with any merit.

And one of those doesn't do the forum thing.

Well im not going to say any names just because the ones i know may not be as successful as i think. But someone mentioned the WOP lightening, so that's a big deal because its pretty quick.

jkidd_39

Reaction score
I was told the ratio of a b code is better for atomization. But requires more oil.

Does this better atomization translate into any advantages??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk while pulling a 36ft gooseneck and not paying attention to the road.

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
I was told the ratio of a b code is better for atomization. But requires more oil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk while pulling a 36ft gooseneck and not paying attention to the road.

fuel mileage?? better idle and low rpm performance are also supposed to be slightly better

JD3020

Reaction score
Higher injection pressure means better atomization. Better atomization should equal a better, more-efficient burn which translates to more power, less smoke, and less heat.

Or at least thats how i view it...

Chvyrkr

Reaction score

Higher injection pressure means better atomization. Better atomization should equal a better, more-efficient burn which translates to more power, less smoke, and less heat.

Or at least thats how i view it...

Already been answered...

So the B-Code might show an initial advantage as RPM's rise, but once the injector becomes incapable of flowing enough HPO through itself quickly enough to stroke the intensifier piston, the hybrid walks away from it.

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
Already been answered...

So the B-Code might show an initial advantage as RPM's rise, but once the injector becomes incapable of flowing enough HPO through itself quickly enough to stroke the intensifier piston, the hybrid walks away from it.

a hybrid is part A code and part B code, right? So basically someone looked at a B code injector and realized it was the oil side of things that was really killing it, and wanted to find a way around the pressure drop. So they decided to stick some A code parts in that injector in order to keep oil demands lower. Is that a crude way to think about it?

I guess if what i just said is true, these people running really high powered B codes must A) have huge oil (twins or similar) and B) possibly have oil side mods done to the injector?

Chvyrkr

Reaction score
Roger...

Top half A code, bottom half B code essentially. The B code intensifier piston and plunger is a bit bigger so, more fuel leaves the injector for the same amount of stroke as an A code.

Huge oil, isn't gonna beat the pressure drop across the poppet. As oil enters the injector, the pressure of that oil (in the injector, pushing the intensifier piston down) is lower than that in the rails. There's no proven way to beat this, as the oil ports will only flow so much oil.

There's some theory about running high ICP to counter this, but as far as I can tell it's mostly hocuspocus abacadabra...

I asked earlier for someone with access to a dyno sheet from each type of injector to post up.

You'll typically see a more uniform curve out of the hybrid, as the fuel injected doesn't decrease as RPM's increase quite so bad.

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
Roger...

Top half A code, bottom half B code essentially. The B code intensifier piston and plunger is a bit bigger so, more fuel leaves the injector for the same amount of stroke as an A code.

Huge oil, isn't gonna beat the pressure drop across the poppet. As oil enters the injector, the pressure of that oil (in the injector, pushing the intensifier piston down) is lower than that in the rails. There's no proven way to beat this, as the oil ports will only flow so much oil.

There's some theory about running high ICP to counter this, but as far as I can tell it's mostly hocuspocus abacadabra...

I asked earlier for someone with access to a dyno sheet from each type of injector to post up.

You'll typically see a more uniform curve out of the hybrid, as the fuel injected doesn't decrease as RPM's increase quite so bad.
That makes sense, so far everyone in here thats posting is pro Hybrid. Id like to hear what the B code people have to say as far as the two injectors go. From my point of view just reading whats in this thread it seems as though the hybrid is dominant in a performance setting, so why are some still using the B code? Maybe large changes to the B code in a performance application is the kicker, the guys running them and bragging about them may not be running stock 400cc b codes, they probably have lots more done to them than most know in order to get the edge

Members online

No members online now.