B Codes, Not a Noob post

superpsd

Reaction score
The B codes has a larger diameter 17.5mm IP and the A code/hybrid body has a 16mm IP. So the complaint is you need more volume of hpo for the larger piston bore to stoke the same 7.1mm plunger the same distance. The oil mods to reduce restricition seem to be drilling more feed holes and increasing poppet lift with I assume machining of the upper seat shim. Reduce restriction and you get less pressure drop and faster actuation and better pressures across the nozzle. A lot can be done to these injectors with just a surface grinder it just has to be done correctly.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Granted it would require big oil but wouldn't it lower the injection pressure ratio of the b code to something similar to the hybrid if the barrels were machined to like an 8 or 8.5mm then have plungers made to fit? It would inject more fuel as well... any cons to it aside from cost?

superpsd

Reaction score
That's what HRT was working on. I think a few custom machined injectors have been tried without success as far as I have read. There is a lot that can be done just working with the oem stuff which makes it a lot cheaper.

ja_cain

Reaction score
The B codes has a larger diameter 17.5mm IP and the A code/hybrid body has a 16mm IP. So the complaint is you need more volume of hpo for the larger piston bore to stoke the same 7.1mm plunger the same distance. The oil mods to reduce restricition seem to be drilling more feed holes and increasing poppet lift with I assume machining of the upper seat shim. Reduce restriction and you get less pressure drop and faster actuation and better pressures across the nozzle. A lot can be done to these injectors with just a surface grinder it just has to be done correctly.

Dude, you are giving away all of the trade secrets. Lol! ;)

ja_cain

Reaction score
That's what HRT was working on. I think a few custom machined injectors have been tried without success as far as I have read. There is a lot that can be done just working with the oem stuff which makes it a lot cheaper.

Like Tarm said, you could just run the hpop pressure up to compensate for lower ratio. I think the p7100 runs at 18,000 psi max. That h pump that I was talking about in the other thread is up around 23,000. I'm just wondering if there is any kind of impact (like faster shear rate) on the oil if run at higher pressures. I know this is not really important in an all out kind of situation, but I would still like to know.

superpsd

Reaction score
Dude, you are giving away all of the trade secrets. Lol! ;)

I only recapped what has been said over the years. As for modifications to the poppet valve there may be some draw backs if you give it more travel like hammering the seats which would be detrimental to an injector built to daily and be good for 100K+ miles. Those effect are just what is in my head as questions but only those who do these modifications like Swamps and unlimited etc know the effects or tradeoffs and that's their secret sauces and you would have to buy to taste it.

TARM

Reaction score
the fact is b code a code hybrids to go further they need more oil period or to use less of it. if you use a soleniod and spring that can handle higher ico without flotating/fluttering. That would give an all around jump in what can be done across the board but we still are stuck with pressure drop and actual hpop output as standard dual hpops will not keep up and a turned up gen III would likely be the best choice. But then you run into the issue that the lpop possibly even ds hv lpop can not keep up. The answer to all of this is drop the b:p ratio. and use less oil vol As you can then runways higher ico you have an even broader resolution (quality) range for the injector as it can run now both ends further.

Add a larger nozzle which has already been done on a custom basis so you can have reliability with the 400+ nozzles. Now you could run up icp say to 4500+ .

By doing this you remove the issues of oil volume.

Personally I would go with a b code modded as I stated above. The only other thing I did not mention as I felt it was obvious is to machine the oil passages and poppet to minimize pressure drop ie best flow.

As i am no expert only pulling apart a few handfuls of injectors max there are other things that need to be addressed but to me those are the big ones.

* more powerful solenoid and spring allow for significantly higher icp
*.lower ratio barrel to plunger to decreaser oil vol needs
* oil passage poppet changes to minimize pressure drop across the injector.
* larger nozzle for increased durability

personally i think with those changes we may need acumulators on the oil rails to handle hammering but thats super easy add on so no biggie if it did arise with the higher icp and flow rates in and out of the injectors.

TyCorr

Reaction score
The overdrive units dieselsite conceptualized and sent out for testing were the answer to oil. Run a 17deg pump and hold icp on a xxx/400% injector.

TyCorr

Reaction score
They sell/designed/and increased capacity with their $600 lpo pump. Making assumptions but i think their lpop was designed to satisfy that doomsday scenario. People were running mid sized hybrids without lpo issues from what I can recall.

PABowhunter

Reaction score
The overdrive units dieselsite conceptualized and sent out for testing were the answer to oil. Run a 17deg pump and hold icp on a xxx/400% injector.

Was this concept officially canned? Haven't heard anything about it in a few years.

TyCorr

Reaction score
I believe it is for now. It tested well but i asked them point biank and "they dont plan to offer them publicly at this point". Thats a "no way" if ive ever heard one. They dont offer a why and i wasnt entitled to receive one.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Hmmm.....thats odd. It should be ok unles there is a metric **** tonne of pw demanded

Reaction score
Hmmm.....thats odd. It should be ok unles there is a metric **** tonne of pw demanded

I haven't figured out how to change the unit measurement for the PW on my AE, so I don't know what my tunes are calling for. I'm assuming it's a $hit ton with how much it smokes in the race tune.

Latest posts

Members online