Back to being tuned...

Justin@DP-Tuner

Reaction score
Well it has been a while since my truck has had a chip. I first ran DP, and although I liked it, I decided that I didn't want to run a chip on the old truck.

It has been about 6 months and I have decided that I can't take the lack of power anymore. I also believe, after doing a ton of research, that a tuned truck may actually last longer and live healthier than leaving it stock.

This time around I bought a TS chip with canned tunes to begin with. I am going to run these tunes for a while, but my eventual goal is to try every major 7.3 tuner's tunes.

I see a lot of favoritism when it comes to tuners, and most of the guys have only tried 1 guys tunes. I want to give everyone a fair chance and make educated statements when talking about different tuners.

The next thing I will be looking for is a TS chip burner. I know I can get them fairly cheap new, but if someone has a used one they would like to part with maybe we can work something out.

Oh, and lets not get this thread locked by turning it into a tuner war. I don't mind if you state your favorite tunes, just don't bash anyone else...

David N

Reaction score
Oh lord. Another tuner debate. LOL

I have tried Beans tunes. And then Gearhead tunes.

Gearhead gets my vote.

SouthFlstrokin'

Reaction score
Let's see I've had dp(didn't like them) , rode in a truck with php tunes(didn't like how it idled) had swamps tunes( liked them for the most part, felt like the dp tunes were faster though) then I got my gearhead tunes and I liked everything except the fact that I couldn't tell which tune was which except for when you mashed the pedal. But gearheads were virtually smokeless.

Justin@DP-Tuner

Reaction score
Well my DP tunes definitely have more power than these canned tunes, but I like how these idle better, and no more touchy throttle. I really love how DP tunes shift though.

SouthFlstrokin'

Reaction score
Well my DP tunes definitely have more power than these canned tunes, but I like how these idle better, and no more touchy throttle. I really love how DP tunes shift though.

Gearhead has good shifts also imo

I really wanted to try tyrant but that guy can't answer the phone ever

SouthFlstrokin'

Reaction score
Honestly I went with Matt because he answered my phone calls. He answered every question I threw at him and then some.

I'm not going to pay for sh!t customer service.

bluedge8

Reaction score
Honestly I went with Matt because he answered my phone calls. He answered every question I threw at him and then some.

I'm not going to pay for sh!t customer service.

also I went with Matt for free reburns, I bought a used chip off of a member, sent it to Matt to be re-burned, he said that I ended up with an older style chip that was actually looking for, kept it and sent me a new one! WIN!

DocBar

Reaction score
I've ran DI's, Beans and currently run Gearhead's. I like Matt's quite a bit for DD and towing and use DI's for racing. I'm still considering who to use when the compounds are ready to go.

I like the fact that I can't tell which tune I'm in til I hit the throttle. I can't stand a touchy throttle.

skew12

Reaction score
If you're going for free reburns then PHP is out of the question. They no longer do that.

But I've had TW and PHP and I've liked the PHP tunes better. The truck just runs smoother. I'll be giving gearhead a shot very soon.

Justin@DP-Tuner

Reaction score
The only downfall that I have heard to Gearhead tunes is that he will not e-mail tunes. Is this correct?

I just really like to get things done, and wouldn't want to wait around for a week for my chip to get back. That is why I am looking to buy a burner.

TARM

Reaction score
Correct as there is no security on tunes that are emailed. They offer no encryption or way to lock it to one chip. If they did it would be no big deal. A way around this would be to pick up a second chip. IF you were going to have big injectors etc that would be a good way to go IMO so you would never be down. Small cost in the overall scheme of things. Matt does things a bit differently than other tuners do. Matts tunes IMO are some of if not the best and with lifetime upgrades you can get them updated anytime you may want a change.

Justin@DP-Tuner

Reaction score
Correct as there is no security on tunes that are emailed. They offer no encryption or way to lock it to one chip. If they did it would be no big deal. A way around this would be to pick up a second chip. IF you were going to have big injectors etc that would be a good way to go IMO so you would never be down. Small cost in the overall scheme of things. Matt does things a bit differently than other tuners do. Matts tunes IMO are some of if not the best and with lifetime upgrades you can get them updated anytime you may want a change.

Yeah, I understand the security factor. I guess after having an F6 and being able to load the tunes while my laptop was hooked up to my truck I will never be satisfied LOL

Dieselboy.

Reaction score
The only downfall that I have heard to Gearhead tunes is that he will not e-mail tunes. Is this correct?

I just really like to get things done, and wouldn't want to wait around for a week for my chip to get back. That is why I am looking to buy a burner.

I liked Matts tunes, mine had a touchy pedal. But this ^^ Is why I never had updates done. 17$ to ship and hope all my issues get smoothed out. It adds up, especially for me and my idle issues.

This is 2012. Snail mail takes to long for the guy that doesn have a spare chip to toss in with another set of tunes.

Ive run a few tuners. And Ive switched for reasons.

Started with DP, but their window mod is why I switch to Matt. Him not emailing tunes is why I tried Swamps, their ****ty idle and lack of help other then sending me drag files is why I went to Cales live tuning, and Cales lack of answering any sort attempt to contact is what made me look into other avenues such as other members with minotaur, and now getting into tweaking stuff myself in the near future.
They all got their positives and negatives.

Last edited:

Justin@DP-Tuner

Reaction score
I liked Matts tunes, mine had a touchy pedal. But this ^^ Is why I never had updates done. 17$ to ship and hope all my issues get smoothed out. It adds up, especially for me and my idle issues.

This is 2012. Snail mail takes to long for the guy that doesn have a spare chip to toss in with another set of tunes.

Ive run a few tuners. And Ive switched for reasons.

Started with DP, but their window mod is why I switch to Matt. Him not emailing tunes is why I tried Swamps, their ****ty idle and lack of help other then sending me drag files is why I went to Cales live tuning, and Cales lack of answering any sort attempt to contact is what made me look into other avenues such as other members with minotaur, and now getting into tweaking stuff myself in the near future.
They all got their positives and negatives.

Yeah, it seems that some have really good luck with a certain tuner and others have really bad luck.

I actually really like the canned tunes except for when I shift into OD. In stock mode it shifts to OD at about 45-48 MPH and goes from 2100 to about 1500 RPM's. With the TS canned tunes it shifts at about 40 MPH and my RPM's go from about 2000 to 1100 in a second. I would hate to be towing something heavy and have that happen. I wish there was a way to just tweak that little aspect.

DocBar

Reaction score
Yeah, it seems that some have really good luck with a certain tuner and others have really bad luck.

I actually really like the canned tunes except for when I shift into OD. In stock mode it shifts to OD at about 45-48 MPH and goes from 2100 to about 1500 RPM's. With the TS canned tunes it shifts at about 40 MPH and my RPM's go from about 2000 to 1100 in a second. I would hate to be towing something heavy and have that happen. I wish there was a way to just tweak that little aspect.
I tow fairly heavy and Matt has my truck keeping rpms up after shifts. It does good.

sethc24

Reaction score
I've tryed tuning from swamps, TDP, and php. I liked certain aspects of all of them. But so far Php is winning. For me i try to be less picky about tuning characteristics because it takes about 1 month to send my chip out and have it reburned and sent back.

Latest posts

Members online