batteries.. which ones do you run?

pullandpray

Reaction score
The batteries in ol Blue are junk they lasted 1 year and 3 months, granted they had a few long cranks on them. Anyways I won't run them again just curious about which brand everyone runs. I had optimum in the 6.4 and they didn't hold a charge(like playing music with the key off) that great but always would recharge perfect.

pullandpray

Reaction score
I'm thinking the 7.3 is a whole other animal when it comes to diesel batteries, I was almost thinking about getting deep cycles lol those glow plugs draw so much juice. Do you know what the CCA of those duralasts are?

PSD POWER007

Reaction score
850 Cca I think. I'd have to look. I've run them for many miles in a Duramax, 6.0, 6.4, and now my 7.3. Crazy how much batteries have gone up in the last few years.
I saw a thread the other day where a guy modded his battery tray and put in group 31 batteries and said it was by far the best move he had ever done. I'm gonna take some measurements and look into that. Said the big rigs run those.

Last edited:

bruce

Reaction score
Die hard platinums are a sweet battery. All the other work truck 7.3 get rural king batteries though.

Reaction score
I had 6 yrs on a set of Napa batteries, and then I swapped to the orileys battery (I think super start, I'll I've to look later) for the higher CCAs, they are currently 4yrs... I also just replaced the original motorcraft battery in my little focus, it was 6-1/2 yrs old, I went back with motorcraft in it because I found out they're a 100 month warranty, 3 yrs free replacement and prorated the rest of that term

Reaction score
We have/had 2 optimas, 1 in each of my parents f150s, 1 only lasted 3 yrs before it began to lose charge if not ran over a week (when parents would go on vacation), the other is 5 yrs old, go figure... Otherwise, both used as daily drivers for those

mandkole

Reaction score
have east penns in everything... the result of many and various technical conversations at truck parts shows over the years

co04cobra

Reaction score
have east penns in everything... the result of many and various technical conversations at truck parts shows over the years

Aren't east penns the ones that guarantee they won't corrode the terminals?

George4

Reaction score
I run the interstate mega tron plus 65. They have 30 month free replacement and a 6 year warranty. Also it's going to be hard to find another 65 series battery that has 850 CA and 1000 CA. That's all I have ran in my truck since the original ones went out

Last edited:

ja_cain

Reaction score
Whatever you do, I would get a battery tender to put on them when you aren't driving it. Charging system most likely won't fully charge batteries if you pull them down too far. If heard that the higher CCA batteries arn't as durable as the lower ones.

ja_cain

Reaction score
The higher cca theory could be total bs though. I guess it depends on the average output over time relative to the price paid. One thing is apparent, you want to periodically saturate the charge on the batteries in order to get the most out of them.

Last edited:

ThreeFitty

Reaction score
Interstate something's. Think they are just shy of 800 cca? Get them cheap"er" at work

Lmgrpowerstroke

Reaction score
I had two yellow tops in my truck for about 3 years. If I didn't drive the truck for about a week it wouldn't start and I would have to put the charger on them. I'm looking for new batteries now myself.

pullandpray

Reaction score
Funny I brought this up today. I drove my truck to work put the south bend in it By myself which I must say *** that. Good great. hit the intersection and ofcourse it's a new clutch I don't want to slip it. BOOOM killed it.. it won't even try to turn over. It's 6* blowing like a sumbitch lol walk to work ofcourse no jumper cables in the work truck. Call the wife whose already pissed I'm working on my truck on a day off. Lol I would buy 800 dollar batteries right now

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online