Battery Light?

andrewv_24

Reaction score
Same thing was happening to me about 2 months ago the light would come on then go off. I had autozone check it while it was in the truck and it said it was ok, pulled the alternator out a few days later and had em check it on their bench and it ended up being bad.

imelmo

Reaction score
I've got a couple extra ones laying around here I think. I'll go slap one on and see what happens.

imelmo

Reaction score
Well, went to change the alternator and think I found my problem. Looks like it is indeed the fuse or whatever it is on the alternator plug. When I went to pull the plug off the wire came right out of it. Does anyone know what it's actually called or have a part number for it?

I put the wire back in as far as it would go and electrical taped it in place to see if it would turn the light off and it didn't. Went ahead and changed the alternator too and everything stayed the same- it's charging the batteries even with the bad plug wire but the light is still on.

This is the thing I'm talking about:

alternatorfuse_zps720838b7.jpg

imelmo

Reaction score
How do those connect? Looks like it's just heat shrink tubing on the outside. Would I be able to cut the heat shrink off and reconnect the wire?

imelmo

Reaction score
It looks like it just pulled out. I'm gonna cut the heat shrink off and get a better look.

imelmo

Reaction score
Well, finally got it taken care of. Turns out that is NOT a fusible link. After looking closer, it appears the plug was replaced at some time or another and those were just butt connectors in heat shrink.

What exactly does that wire do though, since it was still charging even though that wire wasn't connected?

HOOV3R

Reaction score
Judging by your light, it may be the r-terminal(run terminal). It shows that the alternator is putting out power.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Well, finally got it taken care of. Turns out that is NOT a fusible link. After looking closer, it appears the plug was replaced at some time or another and those were just butt connectors in heat shrink.

What exactly does that wire do though, since it was still charging even though that wire wasn't connected?

oh wow, just crimp on or soldered?

live life full throttle

Lubbockguy1979

Reaction score
Normally if you see that light if means the regulator inside the alt is on its way out. Seen em last week, and seen em last several moths like that. Check with one of the local parts houses, and see if the can test it. If its back feeding the light circuit be ready for a new one Danny.

sent from the shop making things fly.....

Mine had the regulator putting out to much voltage. At the time I was having a hard time finding a rebuild kit so I opted to buy a new one thru advanced auto. Fixed my issue. I was having just the batt ligh come on btw. On a different truck the alt quit charging which yielded a battery light and a abs light at the same time.

Latest posts

Members online