Bent rod?

msmith

Reaction score
Not in a 6.0, but in a 7.3. One of our company trucks, an F550, ingested a snoot full of water. Bent two rods. Our mechs replaced one and left one. Evidently it wasn't bent too bad because it made two trips to Florida, one to Louisiana, and one to Texas after that. Had a total of close to 100k on the bent rod, but hammered like a sonofagun the whole time. It was nicknamed 'Ol Ticker.

I was there when it ingested the water. I took the intake apart, dried everything out and threw the air filter in the bed. We cranked her over, and once the water spewed out the exhaust, she fired up. Like broncof250444 said, made one heck of a knocking noise. We drove it approximately 20 miles back to the shop and the white smoke was a rollin'. lol.

6 L chevy eater

Reaction score
the truck started knocking bad, still ran good, jus knocking. drove it home over 200 miles, im jus trying to figure out if i do have a bent rod.

& whats the best route to go when re-building the motor

Chatham036

Reaction score
the truck started knocking bad, still ran good, jus knocking. drove it home over 200 miles, im jus trying to figure out if i do have a bent rod.

You could always hit it with another few shots of spray to see if it is really bent or not...

I meant to ask this weekend, is this your daily driver or just your toy?

Breaking Habits

Reaction score

Given your power level, it doesnt surprise me. Think your buddy and I on the powerstroke facebook page who was pushing you for DPC and I had a convo about this.

Put R&R rods in it and be done with it. You will NEVER bend them

SEABEE08FX4

Reaction score
Might be a long shot but have you done an injector balance test. Injector knock sounds a lot like rod knock. Its worth a shot to check it at least.

java

Reaction score
Might be a long shot but have you done an injector balance test. Injector knock sounds a lot like rod knock. Its worth a shot to check it at least.

I had an injector knock really bad after a wot run. Scared the crap out of me. Lol

SEABEE08FX4

Reaction score
I had an injector knock really bad after a wot run. Scared the crap out of me. Lol

Yeah we had a 6.7 Dodge come in with a horrible violent knock. I though for sure a rod or two were about to hit the eject button. But after looking at it it turned out to be a few bad injectors.

6 L chevy eater

Reaction score
You could always hit it with another few shots of spray to see if it is really bent or not...

I meant to ask this weekend, is this your daily driver or just your toy?

its my huntin,fishing, and haul the trash to the dump/race truck.

more of a toy than anything, its getting to be an expensive toy

6 L chevy eater

Reaction score
ill add this after the truck left good from the line, i sprayed my first stage out past the 60' mark and it blew tires off, truck bounced off rev limiter pretty hard, ran a 7.46@96 and went to knocking....

i got my fingers crossed for a bent push rod or broken rocker

Jwarren

Reaction score
Sucks to bend a rod. I was really skeptical about spraying on top of what you had on fuel. Stock rods are a big gamble at anything over 800rwhp. Good thing it didn't punch a hole in your block and wash down the track.

Regardless that 7.40 @ 96 felt good, that I am sure :)

6 L chevy eater

Reaction score
I'm very thankful it didn knock a whole in the block, the nitrous done an excellent job at cleaning up the rest of fuel.ill send someone a video to post of of the heart breakin run if anyone dont mind,

and yes the 7.46 felt great but i know the truck is capable of much more with good traction and a relible bottom end . i think it will go 7.0s-7.1s all day long

truck will have slicks or some serious drag radials on it next time it goes to the track. i noticed they made a huge diff on some of the trucks running this weekend

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online