Best towing combo

Reaction score
Any of you guys towing with traction bars? I was thinking they would help on acceleration from dead stops a good bit, the other day i thought I wasn't gonna be able to pull out onto a road because the stop was such a steep little spot, and all I had was my parents 31'TT, between rolling back and tire spin it was crazy

06-6.0l, CCLB 4X4, studded, reworked heads, egr gone, cab reroute, blue spring mod, 6.4 banjos, updated dummy plugs, stand pipe, and stc fitting; New oil cooler, New ipr, New icp, atlas 40 FICM, powermax turbo, and Geerhead tunes, 325/65R18

Reaction score
Soo, probably gonna pull the trigger on a 37ft 5er weighing in at about 10,800 dry, and a 13k GVWR in the next 30-60 days. Gonna try and get some air bags put on and traction bars fabbed up before I get it, (maybe a no limit intake for christmas). The camper comes with a MORryde king pin, I was wondering what you guys with similar setups and trailers think of the handling of this combo? Will a nice standard solid hitch do the trick and still ride decent, or is it worth looking into the air hitches?

06-6.0l, CCLB 4X4, studded, reworked heads, egr gone, cab reroute, blue spring mod, 6.4 banjos, updated dummy plugs, stand pipe, and stc fitting; New oil cooler, New ipr, New icp, atlas 40 FICM, powermax turbo, and Geerhead tunes, 325/65R18

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
My trailer is roughly the same size, but slightly heavier, closer to 15k fully loaded. I have not towed a fifth wheel with an air ride hitch, so i cant comment on that, however, i run a b&w companion in a turnover ball setup, and it tows great. I do not have bags or anything on my truck, so it is kinda light in the front, but i have no complaints.

Reaction score
Okay, finialy pulled the trigger on one this past week and brought it home yesterday. I went with the b&w companion for hitch, and the camper is as stated about 11,000 empty, and max of 13,500 gvwr. Anyways, I realize with the companion and turnover ball style under mount, the over lead air bags will not be a possibility, I will need the ones that mount inside frame rail, but I definitely need something, it sags real bad, any suggestions?

Reaction score
Okay, finialy pulled the trigger on one this past week and brought it home yesterday. I went with the b&w companion for hitch, and the camper is as stated about 11,000 empty, and max of 13,500 gvwr. Anyways, I realize with the companion and turnover ball style under mount, the over lead air bags will not be a possibility, I will need the ones that mount inside frame rail, but I definitely need something, it sags real bad, any suggestions?

88390f3bafa00db5c2e44dca8a49b0c7.jpg

Reaction score
9c7137e97919b52ba9cc85927cc15ca0.jpg

083f84b739d4da60f631909a3f06f43e.jpg

Reaction score
It didn't seem that bad, till I got it home lol, but I have "w'd" F code rear springs, they're pretty worn. I will say, power was not an issue, I pulled it in GH 13K tow and egts were never an issue, only one incline where I didn't manipulate a downshift (stayed in OD all the way up) did Egt's get to 1200. Otherwise mostly never over 1000 pulling up hill at about 2500 rpms. And other than the obvious weight slowing you down on acceleration, and having to use the tow/haul so that it shifts at hiher rpms, it pulled like a dream in comparison to my parent 31'TT. I mean, like I said other than the obvious, you don't know it's there,

PABowhunter

Reaction score
I believe the Air Lift 5000 bags should fit. I was pricing them out and was on the phone with one of the reps from Air Lift. They have several variations of that model to accommodate different hitches.

Reaction score
It seems I remember reading in the past where their (airlift) bags weren't very reliable

PABowhunter

Reaction score
I don't have first hand experience, so I can't say for sure.

Were the bags unreliable or the compressors?

Reaction score
If I remember correctly, it was the bags themselves

valvetick

Reaction score
I had the air lift 5000 ultimate on my 350 and loved them before the truck was stolen. They have internal bump stops so you can run lower pressures unloaded. My toy hauler has a 3700lb pin weight without anything in the garage so the bags was a must. Next truck will be getting these as well. Since you have the gooseneck hitch you will need the over the axle kit that installs on the bump stop tab on the rear blocks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Well, guess it's just preferance, after reading some more it appears that firestone are a slightly faster install, but the air lift has lifetime warrenty, and both of these are inside frame mounts that I'm comparing

Reaction score
Think I'm gonna go with the firestones, but still can't get over how well the truck did handling and power wise other than the sag, just crazy...

Also, anybody understand how they get their length specs on these things? Specs say it's a 37'9" trailer, but when I measure bumber to front cap it's a hair over 45' and still over 42'when I measure inside wall from back to inside wall up front

PABowhunter

Reaction score
I don't think you can wrong with either. When I called a dealer for both Firestone and air lift they told me they prefer the quality of Firestone bags, but both will do the job. Firestone has a longer reputation in the rubber industry.

Reaction score
I don't think you can wrong with either. When I called a dealer for both Firestone and air lift they told me they prefer the quality of Firestone bags, but both will do the job. Firestone has a longer reputation in the rubber industry.
I hear ya, the price range is good too. The basic air lift was $291, firestone $334, and the air lift ultimate (with stops inside) were $349. The main reason I decided firestone was cause I had them before and like the quality, and never had a problem. But I'm with ya, both would probably never give me a problem

Reaction score
So my next question, the trailer sits level in the pictures and with truck sagging, so once I raise the back end of the truck to make truck level, how's that gonna effect the towing experience with the 5er? I know with a pull behind if front raises its not good, just not used to pulling a 5th wheel, and curious. And I do have the 5th hitch as low as it will go

Jomax

Reaction score
So my next question, the trailer sits level in the pictures and with truck sagging, so once I raise the back end of the truck to make truck level, how's that gonna effect the towing experience with the 5er? I know with a pull behind if front raises its not good, just not used to pulling a 5th wheel, and curious. And I do have the 5th hitch as low as it will go

He pin box should have some adjustment as well. You want the trailer level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
I think it's alread set for as low (high however you wanna put it) as it will go, but I'll double check that, I may have looked at it backwards

Reaction score
Okay, I just purchased the ride rite 2400's, Should be here next week... And the pinbox has 3 more holes of adjustments (3" @ 1" each hole) but anymore than one hole up, and I'll have to trim the fiberglass front cap

Latest posts

Members online