Best tune for heavy towing?

08Tarheel450

Reaction score
OK. I have a 08 450 4x4 with some bolt ons, stock fuel and stock transmission. I know everyone has an opinion. I would like honest feedback from people that have actually tried different tunes and tuners. I have 4.30 gears and gross up to and over 35,000 lbs. Please be civil and respectful of each other. Thanks.

Corb@CorbinShipping

Reaction score
OK. I have a 08 450 4x4 with some bolt ons, stock fuel and stock transmission. I know everyone has an opinion. I would like honest feedback from people that have actually tried different tunes and tuners. I have 4.30 gears and gross up to and over 35,000 lbs. Please be civil and respectful of each other. Thanks.

On my 2010 450, I loved SCT with Erics tunes. Tried H&S, about to go back to spartan to see if I like it better, but I think that overall, Eric has em beat. Plus his trans tunes are tough to beat... And I get up to 30 K, Never more than that though. Stock engine, trans, 4.30 gears as well.

08Tarheel450

Reaction score
On my 2010 450, I loved SCT with Erics tunes. Tried H&S, about to go back to spartan to see if I like it better, but I think that overall, Eric has em beat. Plus his trans tunes are tough to beat... And I get up to 30 K, Never more than that though. Stock engine, trans, 4.30 gears as well.

I have done a full EGR delete with 4" downpipe and gate, Spearco, cold side pipe and CFM elbow, Batmo in the LP, AFE intake and full 4" exhaust. I currently run Spartan tuning but want to try something different. It may be that I have the right tunes already. Just been hearing so much great feedback on other tunes that I want to give people that have tried them all the opportunity to help me. Thanks for your reply.

Dustball8504

Reaction score
Just run your Spartan 210TP. Its a great tune for towing heavy. If you really wanna try something else though I'd get an SCT with and Innovative tune on it. But then you're talking another tuner and buying the tune just to try it lol.

08Tarheel450

Reaction score
Just run your Spartan 210TP. Its a great tune for towing heavy. If you really wanna try something else though I'd get an SCT with and Innovative tune on it. But then you're talking another tuner and buying the tune just to try it lol.

That's what I am leaning toward but I'm with you. It's hard to justify $1,000 bucks to "try" something, you know? I guess I am looking for someone to talk me into a different tuner. Lol. I was encouraged by several people to go with the Livewire because of it's reliabilty. That's what drives the price up. Peace of mind is worth alot though.

patrickke

Reaction score
Well personally I like our tuning... You have the choice of running our tunes on an H&S device or an SCT device

PM me if you need any info

WoodBoy

Reaction score
Run the 210 regular not the Tow performance, you already have the gears you need for towing, just run a regular tune like the 210. Works great on our 450

BFT

Reaction score
I don't have a 450, but the 210TP from spartan pulls real good. I tried the tow tune from SCT and it had no where near the power. Loaded up innovatives xstreet and it pulled awesome! Had lots of power and the EGT's were tolerable, then again with the right driving you can keep them down.
I have 3.73 with 37" tires, FWIW

tbsimmons

Reaction score
It all depends on the grades you will be going over and teh speed you want to go.
I am in the 28000# range with my Toyhauler, same one Ccorbin has with a different floor plan.
I tow it on Erics tow tune. Temps are fine, never worry about them anymore.
This is in 105 degree and 7% grades for miles.
With what you have done to the truck I would try the street tune. You have things to cool the intake charge off more.
Once I do the EGR delete and an intercooler I am going to try it, just have not had the guts to try it with out them.
The only temp that gets kind of high is the oil. 55 mph in the 450 is already in rpm high then add in a downshift and they start to climb some. But nothing I get worried about.
I have towed around 10000# with the X-Street. It was a little to touchy for me over grades. Flats it was great, plus the mileage was better.
With all that it depends on one thing, your right foot on the go pedal.
What ever tune you decide on from Eric, I like his firmer with stock lock with every tune.

Corb@CorbinShipping

Reaction score
I don't have a 450, but the 210TP from spartan pulls real good. I tried the tow tune from SCT and it had no where near the power. Loaded up innovatives xstreet and it pulled awesome! Had lots of power and the EGT's were tolerable, then again with the right driving you can keep them down.
I have 3.73 with 37" tires, FWIW

Yeah, the TOW tune from SCT blows. It had no balls, and downshifted at every oportunity... I use STREET with Firmer Late Lock, and she does great. I would leave it on Xstreet for lighter towing, like 5,000 lb small trailer, or my boat, about 5,500 lbs. But for the 18 K 5th wheel, def too hot and jerky to leave it on Xstreet!

Corb@CorbinShipping

Reaction score
It all depends on the grades you will be going over and teh speed you want to go.
I am in the 28000# range with my Toyhauler, same one Ccorbin has with a different floor plan.
I tow it on Erics tow tune. Temps are fine, never worry about them anymore.
This is in 105 degree and 7% grades for miles.
With what you have done to the truck I would try the street tune. You have things to cool the intake charge off more.
Once I do the EGR delete and an intercooler I am going to try it, just have not had the guts to try it with out them.
The only temp that gets kind of high is the oil. 55 mph in the 450 is already in rpm high then add in a downshift and they start to climb some. But nothing I get worried about.
I have towed around 10000# with the X-Street. It was a little to touchy for me over grades. Flats it was great, plus the mileage was better.
With all that it depends on one thing, your right foot on the go pedal.
What ever tune you decide on from Eric, I like his firmer with stock lock with every tune.

Do you have the 4.88 gears in yours? If so, that makes sense why you like the TOW tune. For my 4.30s, the tow tune just kept downshifting.... Pizzed me off, so I tried STREET... Worked great for me. As well the Stock lock... It ran hot with stock lock on my 4.30s.... the Late Lock was money for me.

BFT

Reaction score
Yeah, the TOW tune from SCT blows. It had no balls, and downshifted at every oportunity... I use STREET with Firmer Late Lock, and she does great. I would leave it on Xstreet for lighter towing, like 5,000 lb small trailer, or my boat, about 5,500 lbs. But for the 18 K 5th wheel, def too hot and jerky to leave it on Xstreet!

I think the max I ever pulled with x street is 13-14k but there weren't any grades. Anything heavier I feel more comfortable with the 210TP. If shifting was a bit firmer then stock with a 50 mph lock it would be great. It shifts a bit too firm with no load, loaded up and it feels like I'm going to sheer the bolts off when the truck shifts. Downshifting when make a quick stop BLOWS!

tbsimmons

Reaction score
Do you have the 4.88 gears in yours? If so, that makes sense why you like the TOW tune. For my 4.30s, the tow tune just kept downshifting.... Pizzed me off, so I tried STREET... Worked great for me. As well the Stock lock... It ran hot with stock lock on my 4.30s.... the Late Lock was money for me.

Why yes I do. It doesnt downshift that much. At times I am expecting it too and the truck just grunts over.

I might try the street if pull your trailer with it.
Gone over any long 6-7% grades in the heat?

Corb@CorbinShipping

Reaction score
Why yes I do. It doesnt downshift that much. At times I am expecting it too and the truck just grunts over.

I might try the street if pull your trailer with it.
Gone over any long 6-7% grades in the heat?

NW FL is surprisinly hilly.... 5-6%, and some over 7% on I-10 on the panhandle. Some for 2-3 miles. Not near as long as the ones in NorCal, or WY, but pretty good rollers. I run cruise control at 65 all the way with my 5th on the back. Running on STREET, I watch egts, and they crest 1200 on the steeper ones, but unless I am jamming and uphill acceleration, she has never gotten over 1300. STREET ran soooo much better for me than TOW ever did. I was genuinely pizzed off that TOW was so weak in my rig... Plus, I got better mileage out of her! 1-1.5 mpg loaded. Which is noticable on long runs...

few weeks ago, I ran that same route, 65 mph, H&S on WILD, Low Boost Fueling on 3, 98* 100% Humidity, NEVER got over 1300. I still have the EGR and stock IC. Trans temp got up to 220.... and I called Heavy Haul, as I had never seen my trans get that hot. He says his got hotter than that, all the time. So, I let her roll. It cooled down once I got on flatter ground.

Last edited:

weekendwarriorfsw32

Reaction score
I have KEM tunes but I am making the switch to Innovative. In my 210 tow from KEM the power is okay but even with just an 18k load I can't keep 55 mph on an 7% grade no matter how hard I try and once I slow down to 45 the T/C unlocks and my trans temp go through the roof. I hope that some tunes from Erik will be the ticket to towing cause this summer I am going to colorado and I am a little scared that I won't be able to maintain speed up some of the hills.

tbsimmons

Reaction score
You will like Erics tunes. MY TC is locked at anything above about 35.
I dont know what hills you are talking about, but 46 to Paso the only time I droped under 55 is if the fan kicked in (even then it is not much below), or someone gets in front of me. That is on Erics tow tune.

I am going to try the Street tune the next time I tow the fiver, which will be to Napa in July unless a weekend trip on days off to the coast or something.

Latest posts

Members online