Better Tuning For 11-12 Trucks

f100cleveland

Reaction score
It may be worth finding a stock airbox and trying.

It seems one of the hardest things to tune is the MAF on these trucks being they are not exactly a linear input.

Im fixing to put my stock air filter back on for that very reason.

What's the best option for a CAI that works with the stock MAF? Since it's not linear, I'm sure changing the size of pipe where the MAF actually sits changes certain areas of how it's mapped out vs other areas not as much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
Get a no limit stage 1

i dont think that's the answer. we have SO many street max kits out there with stage 2's and dyno #'s that show it's nothing but a gain. simple adjustments for air speed are all that is needed for a larger diameter intake. one thing i will say, is that every truck is different , and some just react differently than others , no rhyme or reason .

bpan

Reaction score
I have a NL stage 2 and Streetmax, without these problems, had no problems like this with the stage 2 and stock 11 turbo either. Would plugging in a scanner and watching what the MAF is doing throughout the RPM range help? Is it possible that the sensor is dirty, or not responding as fast as it should?

Just throwing ideas out.

f100cleveland

Reaction score
Ok, so after reading this and thinking about it more, I pulled the NL stage 2 off and kinda hacked up the stocker to get it to fit with the Midwest 15 style piping. Right now I have the extreme Toops Performance SCT tune loaded in and it would shift into 5th by 30 mph and typically 6th by 40 and didnt really want to downshift. First thing I noticed was I had throttle response back and the dead spot in the pedal was gone. Went and drove around in town and it'd shift into 4th at about 30 mph and would hold that gear. Took it out and did a normal throttle acceleration. Shifts are a lot more crisp and it didn't shift into 6th until about 65. It has a surge, not nearly as noticeable but doesn't have the dead spot leading up to it, so I'd assume that is a change in vanes?

So now the question is why is it doing this? Josh @ Toops said he has great luck with the sm65.5 and the nl stage 2. I have also tried numerous MAF sensors since we have a fleet of 6.7's at work. The Tyrant, GH, and Midwest tunes all are setup for the NL stage 2 but all do the same thing.

Is there a limitation in the 11-12 computer that is causing this? Or, my truck was a US built truck but for Canada, then sold back into the US via a Ford auction. Would there be a chance that the Canada spec truck has a different computer strategy that is causing issues or is that irrelevant on the 6.7's?

CATDiezel

Reaction score
What's the best option for a CAI that works with the stock MAF? Since it's not linear, I'm sure changing the size of pipe where the MAF actually sits changes certain areas of how it's mapped out vs other areas not as much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bigger pipe... slower velocity. Great concept. Tuners being attacked by EPA. Cave man.

CATDiezel

Reaction score
i dont think that's the answer. we have SO many street max kits out there with stage 2's and dyno #'s that show it's nothing but a gain. simple adjustments for air speed are all that is needed for a larger diameter intake. one thing i will say, is that every truck is different , and some just react differently than others , no rhyme or reason .

Ambient air temp. Humidity. Elevation. There is 1000 different scenarios off the top of my head.

Fuel quality.... now were at 10,000 scenarios! Lol.

If there was a way to run a static table that would be great.... until you drive anywhere outside your normal parameter of territory or seasons changed.

For the record mine works fine. Just tired of seeing a check engine light every other day.

Fwiw.... a few quick calculations show that the speed of the air moving in a pipe with a ID of 4" to 5" is roughly 55% slower than factory sized piping. I used both 600cfm and 1000cfm for the calculation.

So with NL 5" pipe the air is moving 55% slower (calculated in ft/sec) than stock pipe.

These same calculators are used in natural gas pipeline velocity factors and extreme precise measurement devices to calculate how much gas is being delivered to another pipeline. Then gets even more precise from ultra sonic metering.

If the tuners would use that as a baseline number (not sure if they are or not) it may change things happily.

Maybe someone could experiment with that.

Last edited:

f100cleveland

Reaction score
Ambient air temp. Humidity. Elevation. There is 1000 different scenarios off the top of my head.

Fuel quality.... now were at 10,000 scenarios! Lol.

If there was a way to run a static table that would be great.... until you drive anywhere outside your normal parameter of territory or seasons changed.

For the record mine works fine. Just tired of seeing a check engine light every other day.

Fwiw.... a few quick calculations show that the speed of the air moving in a pipe with a ID of 4" to 5" is roughly 55% slower than factory sized piping. I used both 600cfm and 1000cfm for the calculation.

So with NL 5" pipe the air is moving 55% slower (calculated in ft/sec) than stock pipe.

If the tuners would use that as a baseline number (not sure if they are or not) it may change things happily.

Maybe someone could experiment with that.

So you are running spaaaaartan tuning on your truck and its happy? I just don't want to buy another platform since I have the SCT Livewire and H&S all ready. Might just have to look into the best, stock sized pipe, CAI.

CATDiezel

Reaction score
Fwiw... don't get me wrong. Mike's air intake is doing exactly what it is designed to do.... it's fine. It's the tuning that's not. And I may get a little heat for this but ALOT OF kids or guys don't really know what they are feeling other than happiness!!

SpartOns tuning is good but, there is a reason it's a bit smokey. Im just not confident or sold on it being dialed properly. Reason being is because I can load a stock / deIeted tune and it has virtually zero lag. Shift to the 600 tune and it's lag is much more prevalent. It's still great tune but I notice the slight change.

Only real factor would be MAF calculation being the tune still uses it in its fueling factors.

I do wish a tuner would show up and set me strait on that. I haven't played with tuning now I'm 7 years or better.

CATDiezel

Reaction score
So you are running spaaaaartan tuning on your truck and its happy? I just don't want to buy another platform since I have the SCT Livewire and H&S all ready. Might just have to look into the best, stock sized pipe, CAI.

I believe their tuning is better on the 15-16 stuff. Not to sure on the 11-14 stuff.

Regarding my old 11,

I couldn't have been happier with my old HS original tune before the turbo safe stuff came out. I stayed with the last tune update before they went turbo safe with an original HS tune. It was great... however their enhanced shifting wasn't the greatest.

CATDiezel

Reaction score
Please keep in mind also that dyno numbers are a GREAT tool if your tuning for WOT runs.... they don't do anything for light throttling or cruising. That's where "live" street tuning comes into play. So yes with a huge air filter I would expect to see a gain on the dyno. It's a WOT run.

TrickTruck

Reaction score
I have GH tuning and the NL intake on my '12

Picked up a solid 1mpg towing heavy w/ the NL. (hand calculated)

Those are positive things. Unfortunately I can't get it to stop bouncing around and rubbing. Tried many different positions, no dice. I think I'll just make a bracket to hold the darn thing.

More turbo whistle too :)

Can't wait until I can do the Midwest 65.5 kit.

I have noticed more smoke lately though, I think the filter is dirty even though it doesn't look like it. Mike says he sells a cleaning kit,...on the 'list'.

Also, the MM is switching down tunes on long hill pulls in 3rd (reving and pulling hard, GVW: 25klbs). IDK why though, none of the gauges are beyond max. So I just slow down some. Probably going too fast anyway.

All in all, I'm pretty happy with the MM, GH, AFE 5" and NL intake. Runs good, pulls hard and shifts great.

WHY NOT

Reaction score
I have GH tuning and the NL intake on my '12

Picked up a solid 1mpg towing heavy w/ the NL. (hand calculated)

Those are positive things. Unfortunately I can't get it to stop bouncing around and rubbing. Tried many different positions, no dice. I think I'll just make a bracket to hold the darn thing.

More turbo whistle too :)

Can't wait until I can do the Midwest 65.5 kit.

I have noticed more smoke lately though, I think the filter is dirty even though it doesn't look like it. Mike says he sells a cleaning kit,...on the 'list'.

Also, the MM is switching down tunes on long hill pulls in 3rd (reving and pulling hard, GVW: 25klbs). IDK why though, none of the gauges are beyond max. So I just slow down some. Probably going too fast anyway.

All in all, I'm pretty happy with the MM, GH, AFE 5" and NL intake. Runs good, pulls hard and shifts great.

The MM switching down is it is defueling. Check your defuel settings, I would bet on of the things there is set pretty low. Coolant temp possibly. I think mine was set to 210 and on a grade with a heavy load I had it start to chirp at me just on the tow tune, all the gauges on the dash were fine, just bumped it a bit and it left me alone after that.

WHY NOT

Reaction score
everything is turned off except egt @ 1450

I thought mine all was too. So may jus want to double check. I have had an issue with my mini max tuning its self up. When idling for a while on tow tune, all of a sudden it was start chirping and just go back to performance, guess it likes being on that tune best. I would just unplug it from the OBD 2 port then plug it back in and good to go.

Bullet 21

Reaction score
I went from GH to PPEI and there is no comparison. My truck has stock manners while farting around town and runs really well when you need it.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.