Big hybrid vs. smaller hybrid idle

D66stroke

Reaction score
If you have oil in the icp sensor, replace it....

Comes in tomorrow.. Do you think 580-600icp is to little or to much for idle with 238/100's, or perfect? Some say 100% nozzles like to idle at 450icp, some say 700... That's what I've read on other threads from people having the same problem

superpsd

Reaction score
I would say what matter s most is a steady ICP that stays within 20 or so psi. With an injection ratio of 1:5 which puts the theoretical pressure @ nozzle at say 3000 and an A code nozzle spring is a 2750 vop. I say in theory you should be fine. When I had my stock injectors I played with ICP at idle a bit and found that lowering ICP below 500 actually made the idle more unsteady and jacking it higher and higher led to a louder idle due to higher injection pressure. The B codes I assembled with 200% nozzles idle perfectly at 600 icp. In fact my 200% nozzles will also idle smooth on the stock tune. The tune I run has mapping in the idle areas of the maps little unchanged.

I'm not expert by any means however. If you can afford it I would try another IPR. I have seen lots of threads of some one chasing a rough idle to swap an ipr and the problem was solved. It may not in your case but I rather swap an ICP or IPR before I go spending more money and downtime to pull injectors again. Your builder "seems" like a legit diesel shop but I have never heard of any other truck running their injectors.

Last edited:

D66stroke

Reaction score
Yeah I'll throw a new IPR on if the new o-rings don't fix it. I don't even know why I'm gonna wait for that, I really don't mind throwing parts at it until it's fixed. The 97 I had years back idle'd so smooth, every 7.3 I've been around idle's awesome, and then there's mine lol.

Yeah the guy who did my injectors does really good work, they have a flow bench and everything so I'd say it's legit. He's done a set of 190/100's for a friends 6.0, 225/100's for another friends 6.0. My grandpop has 180/100's in his 7.3 from them and that runs really good. My 238/100's (formerly 300's) run just like any other 7.3 I've been in with name brand 238's.. So I wouldn't say he's to bad

D66stroke

Reaction score
I didn't change the IPR or ICP yet. Blew the forward drum or converter in my trans right after getting a new ICP/pigtail so just waiting to put it in when I put the trans back in

Swaan

Reaction score
Bhahaha
Sounds like my auto. Lasted 500 miles after putting my 175/80's in . Lmao!!!

D66stroke

Reaction score
Lol I have 4k miles on the trans. The converter is a PATC and started rattling intermittently during idle like there was a chunk of metal in it, after like 2k miles it started doing that. Then one day last week I was driving easy when it went to hit 2nd and there was a pop and then lost forward and reverse

D66stroke

Reaction score
Yeah I'm hoping converter since it'll be covered under warranty. Wouldn't think the forward drum would strip out or crack with a sub 500hp truck but people were also saying it could be that also

jngreen

Reaction score
It could also be your flex plate as well. If it rattled at idle but not when you blip the throttle, I would bet that is your issue. It is a very common problem.

D66stroke

Reaction score
True, just no signs of cracks or anything to make this thing not move at all lol. Was also a humming sound which to me sounds like a converter

D66stroke

Reaction score
ICP and new pigtail is in. Noticeably smoother but the chop and shake is still there. I guess I should do the IPR next. So new IPR or just the re-seal kit?

Latest posts

Members online