Blown Turbo Symptoms?

Godofdew11

Reaction score
Gents
what are symptoms of a blown turbo?

have an 05 6.0 belching smoke, seems to drive okish. Cleaned up the vanes and resolved an overboost issue, but still smoking white, bluish smoke. No contamination in engine oil or coolant. Down pipe was dry.

webb06

Reaction score
Does it smell like oil, coolant, fuel? Egr cooler intact? If the turbo seals were leaking surely you would have noticed that when you had it torn down

Godofdew11

Reaction score
8 brand new injectors, EGR welded closed, updated oil cooler. Not home right now to smell the smoke. The exhaust side of the turbo did have a lot of burnt on build up, and some rust that i cleaned up. still not great, but can only through so many parts at this thing. What else would cause smoke? Compression in all cylinders was good also.

JMart

Reaction score
Mine had a blueish smoke when I would start the truck up until it warmed up. When I would accelerate from a light it would smoke as well but clean up after it was moving. Turned out to be a seal that was leaking. Swapped in a Pmax and it stopped smoking. I couldn't find any oil in the down pipe or on the exhaust side of the turbo.

COAL FIRED

Reaction score
Mine had a blueish smoke when I would start the truck up until it warmed up. When I would accelerate from a light it would smoke as well but clean up after it was moving. Turned out to be a seal that was leaking. Swapped in a Pmax and it stopped smoking. I couldn't find any oil in the down pipe or on the exhaust side of the turbo.

Have had two turbo failures and they did the exact same thing both were compressor side seal failures

Godofdew11

Reaction score
No oil visible anywhere. after doing new injectors (and truck sitting for a month), first test drive boost went through the roof, blew off a boot and was uncontrolable. pulled turbo, cleaned the vanes and surounding area. now it COULD be making less then normal boost, but we are not driving it much, and back on stock tune. Betting my vanes are still stuck, just in the opposite position. So that is a seperate-ish problem.

JMart

Reaction score
Mine still made plenty of boost when it was leaking. Truck ran great just smoked from a stop.

Latest posts

Members online