Blue smoke on acceleration.

reilly8282

Reaction score
I highly doubt it, its either burning coolant from a failed cooler, head gasket or cracked head or the turbo is letting oil past its seal and burning it. Could also be a bad injector, but rarely cause white smoke

Mine is blue smoke, just did studs no egr Cooler and a brand new oil cooler. Heads checked all good by a competent machinest. I just rebuilt the turbo as well. Maybe injectors then they are running on 84000 miles

JMart

Reaction score
I wish mine was the turbo. Then I would have an excuse to upgrade.

JMart

Reaction score
Anybody think that my intake manifold could be causing this? I was going to pull it and have it cleaned but I didn't.:fustrate: I even bought new gaskets for it too but I was tired of messing with the truck by the time I got the egr finished. I read some old threads on some other sites that said it could be the cause but, it was on threads that never had a fix posted.

Im pretty sure its not the turbo.
20130610_173141_zps1bf4ca07.jpg

I really don't want to do injectors in this truck, especially if I cant figure out which one is the bad one first. I would like to replace just one instead of the whole set.

reilly8282

Reaction score
I had mine baked and cleaned... It's spotless as far as I could see inside without milling it. I doubt it has to do with the issue.

JMart

Reaction score
I had mine baked and cleaned... It's spotless as far as I could see inside without milling it. I doubt it has to do with the issue.

There is a hot rod shop down the street that was going to hot dip it for $25 a cycle. I should have done it then, but I decided to wait until I was pulling the truck apart again for the oil cooler. I didn't really think it was something to do with it but figured I would ask. It looked bad when I pulled the egr valve but didnt look that dirty when I pulled the intake elbow.

Could the fact that the egr valve is still on the truck cause this? That was the only thing I didn't like about Steve's kit, there wasn't a block off plate for the egr valve. It was really gummed up and I tried to clean it before I reinstalled it but it still looked bad.

ghohouston

Reaction score
I wish I had some pics from work of some bad intakes. Ive literally had them with soot stacked all the way up to the egr valve. Unless its black smoke, its not the egr valve causing it. Wel have a heated pressure washer at work to clean the intakes with, and we can get them spotless in about 30 minutes. Unless your intake is just caked to hell, I wouldnt worry too much

JMart

Reaction score
I wish I had some pics from work of some bad intakes. Ive literally had them with soot stacked all the way up to the egr valve. Unless its black smoke, its not the egr valve causing it. Wel have a heated pressure washer at work to clean the intakes with, and we can get them spotless in about 30 minutes. Unless your intake is just caked to hell, I wouldnt worry too much

Thanks

I guess its time to take it to a mechanic. I am all out of ideas.

ghohouston

Reaction score
Good point, at this point, its gonna be the turbo burning oil, which you say youre almost positive its not, so its probably an injector issue dumping raw fuel. IF you want, and if you can swing it/want to, im sure you could come by my shop and I could hook your truck up to ids and do a power balance test and see if there are any injectors dropping off, we're in mckinney though, by the time you drive that far, it would probably cost you the same to get ford to scan it

JMart

Reaction score
When it white smokes does it smell of raw fuel?

Kinda hard to tell. It really only smokes a lot when I am pulling away from somewhere like at a stop sign or a light. Hard to go back and smell it. The light haze I get at idle (while warming up) doesn't smell any stronger than when the truck is not smoking. Its straight piped so it always has a strong diesel smell to it just like my 7.3 did, although not as bad as my 6.4. I am leaning towards injectors though. That was why I sent you that PM the other day.

Good point, at this point, its gonna be the turbo burning oil, which you say youre almost positive its not, so its probably an injector issue dumping raw fuel. IF you want, and if you can swing it/want to, im sure you could come by my shop and I could hook your truck up to ids and do a power balance test and see if there are any injectors dropping off, we're in mckinney though, by the time you drive that far, it would probably cost you the same to get ford to scan it

I got a friend in Ft. Worth that has his own shop, just don't feel like trying to get it to him and then trying to get a ride back if I have to leave it. I told him about it when I first noticed the smoke. He thought it had something to do with the fact that I over filled it and told me to drive it out, but 700 miles later and it hasn't improved has me worried.

ghohouston

Reaction score
Kinda hard to tell. It really only smokes a lot when I am pulling away from somewhere like at a stop sign or a light. Hard to go back and smell it. The light haze I get at idle (while warming up) doesn't smell any stronger than when the truck is not smoking. Its straight piped so it always has a strong diesel smell to it just like my 7.3 did, although not as bad as my 6.4. I am leaning towards injectors though. That was why I sent you that PM the other day.

That is exactly how my moms excursion acted when the turbo seal went.

I got a friend in Ft. Worth that has his own shop, just don't feel like trying to get it to him and then trying to get a ride back if I have to leave it. I told him about it when I first noticed the smoke. He thought it had something to do with the fact that I over filled it and told me to drive it out, but 700 miles later and it hasn't improved has me worried.

Overfilled with fuel??? That doesnt make sense. You need to get it hooked to ids

kdogg85

Reaction score
This may sound weird, but could a nut on top of the coil be loosening making it not work well? Just enough to cause smoke but no dead cylinder or hydro locking?

JMart

Reaction score
By how much? A 7.3, 6.0, and 6.4 all take roughly 15qts

I had 3 full jugs and two that had about a quart and a half to two quarts in them. But two get it to read right on the dipstick I drained over 3 quarts out. I thought i put in 15. Then I drained it all out and put in 3 full fresh jugs and it reads perfect.

I never had this problem with my 7.3 or 6.4, this truck just wants less oil, or holds a lot more that isn't draining.