Blue smoke on cold start...

TyCorr

Reaction score
That's what I'm saying... When its first started, aih comes on to eliminate the white smoke when idling

Mine never had a white haze when it started until I got rid of aih.

sent while staring at a windowed block

"To reduce*white*smoke*during long idle periods at low ambient temperatures, the PCM will activate the intake air heater. Specific conditions must be present before the heater is activated: "• ambient temperature must be below 0 deg C (32 deg F)*• engine*oil*temperature*must be below 55 deg C (131 deg F)*• vehicle power must be between 11.8 and 15 volts*• parking brake must be applied on manual transmission vehicles*• the transmission must be on park or neutral on*automatic*transmission*vehicles*• glow plugs must be off

You might be correct! I always thought the truck had to be up to operating temp then idled before this could occur. Apparently this could be its only real purpose. Good memory!

So the aih was designed just because these trucks smoked like this.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
"To reduce*white*smoke*during long idle periods at low ambient temperatures, the PCM will activate the intake air heater. Specific conditions must be present before the heater is activated: "•ambient temperature must be below 0 deg C (32 deg F)*•engine*oil*temperature*must be below 55 deg C (131 deg F)*•vehicle power must be between 11.8 and 15 volts*•parking brake must be applied on manual transmission vehicles*•the transmission must be on park or neutral on*automatic*transmission*vehicles*•glow plugs must be off

You might be correct! I always thought the truck had to be up to operating temp then idled before this could occur. Apparently this could be its only real purpose. Good memory!

So the aih was designed just because these trucks smoked like this.

Yes exactly.

live life full throttle

mandkole

Reaction score
I dont worry about it. In both trucks, I get some blue haze on first start with oil temps below about 55-60F. Strong fuel smell. In the SD, with the cold line pressure and load from the transmission, the blue can briefly turn to white when put into gear after a cold start. Ive thought that a cold start parameter is off... plus, bigger nozzles are even more touchy.

It all goes away when the motor warms up.

jaybuller

Reaction score
My truck does the same! Didn't do it with stock injectors at all. Soon as I put the 160/30 sticks in bam blue smoke at cold start, and it is defiantly blue smoke from fuel not oil! I want to get mine live tuned soon, just waiting for either nltd or php does a road show up this way

V-Ref

Reaction score
Just started mine yesterday morning in -8F ...my heater plug was iced up so I didn't plug it in.....Matt @ Gearhead has the tuning on this new Hydra nailed IMO. Very little smoke or haze. I'd take a vid...but it's dark :)

V-Ref

Reaction score
i-7SFZQp6-L.jpg

i-vKgNdX8-S.jpg

Swaan

Reaction score
What's going on with this. No one got a reason or a remedy for the blue smoke syndrome.
I just put a fresh long block in my 97 with 175-80 PIS injectors, matts tunes and it smokes and hazes like a train till warm. New icp,ipr, perty much everything is new. It's a 5 speed truck too. It sure seems like retarded cold timing tables to me. The engine is very quiet like the stealth mode is on the chip if I had stealth mode. Lol ,
Once warmed up burns and runs clean and normal. This smog show is embarrassing cold thou!!!! Help!!

firehunter

Reaction score
I am still working with Matt on this. Otherwise my truck is still smoking exactly as you describe and I believe for the same reasons you state. No significant decrease, yet, as a result of tuning changes but we are still working on it.

No stealth setting for me either but it sure sounds like it when cold.

Swaan

Reaction score
I just can't figure out why some or a lot of trucks do this and some don't have any issues.

maplemale

Reaction score
Sorry to bring this back alive, but it's the most relevant thread I can find on any site about my exact issue. Running the tunes from GearHead, and have the exact same issue. As the temps get colder, it's getting to a point where my neighbors are getting pissed. I fill three or four yards with the white/grey/blue-ish smoke in the morning.

Did it ever since I put the stage 1s in. I've been thru everything. New glow plugs, new IPR, cleaned back-pressure tube, new CPS (black one from Ford), new GPCM, new turbo o-rings. Compression numbers were all excellent. 3100 PSI HPOP at WOT. Always starts right up at any temp.

OP is still having issues or were you able to get it tuned out?

Here's my vid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGqK6cwGgxE&feature=youtu.be

Smoke doesn't look bad here, but it was only 45 degrees out. Getting much worse with cooler temps.

Last edited:

mandkole

Reaction score
^^^mine looks like that vid for the first couple minutes on every first start below 70 F. I have suspect glow plugs, no intake heater, but otherwise the motor is very healthy. The smoke goes away when it warms more. Ive been observing other things as well--the PW is consistently at 1.5-1.8ms in those situations. With the exact same scan gauge, I recorded PW of 1.1ms on the old OBS at idle out of gear. It had stock nozzle ACs.

To me, for larger nozzles (with less fine fuel control and more output), that just seems like too much PW. When the truck is hot, idling in gear on the brake, the PW is 1.8ms. In park, its 1.4ms.

What does everyone else see? Is this just a tuning issue?

psduser1

Reaction score
Mine is 1.8 ms at cold idle also. Been a yr, since then I've replaced injector o-rings, maybe that'll help?