Blue smoke on cold start...

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
A good running, small nozzle injector with correct tuning wont smoke at idle. The link on post #99 will be my guide from here on out... so much good information in there and it explains much about most of the reman injectors that Ive come in contact with.
its a cold start issue as in almost freezing outside.. a bone stock 7.3 smokes at idle in those conditions.. tuning can only go so far.. i dont care what tunes you have.. if its freezing outside, the truck WILL smoke till its up to temp...

live life full throttle

firehunter

Reaction score
its a cold start issue as in almost freezing outside.. a bone stock 7.3 smokes at idle in those conditions.. tuning can only go so far.. i dont care what tunes you have.. if its freezing outside, the truck WILL smoke till its up to temp...

live life full throttle

Gonna have to disagree with this. I have two 7.3's. One has FFD AD's with Bills's tuning, one has Unlimited 160/80's with Matt's tuning. Started daily, side by side, same conditions, one smokes enough to leave a blue streak for an 1/8th mile on a calm morning, the other one never smokes on start up. EVER.

Other than one being a stick and one an automatic transmission they are identical. I have owned them both for over 200K miles (each), I have done all of the maintenance and mod's to both trucks including the injector swaps. Other than the Adrenaline in my truck they even have the same mod's.

Last edited:

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Gonna have to disagree with this. I have two 7.3's. One has FFD AD's with Bills's tuning, one has Unlimited 160/80's with Matt's tuning. Started daily, side by side, same conditions, one smokes enough to leave a blue streak for an 1/8th mile on a calm morning, the other one never smokes on start up. EVER.
i call bullchit.. a stock 7.3 with with the intake heater and propper working glowplugs smokes when temps are NEAR FREEZING

live life full throttle

mandkole

Reaction score

We're getting off track here.. My comment was not about every condition that could cause a 7.3 to smoke. It was more directed to Maple's cold starts and having the stock injector motor run clean (his opinion) and then going to 160s and it smokes to the point of wanting to yank them out. That is the injector. I believe that if Maple's stockers had the pistons and nozzles changed, they would likely have run as clean in same conditions as before. He gave up a good set of injectors and got worse ones.

maplemale

Reaction score
I believe that if Maple's stockers had the pistons and nozzles changed, they would likely have run as clean in same conditions as before. He gave up a good set of injectors and got worse ones.

And my gut feeling says you're correct. :) But, I still hold out hope it's just tuning! :fustrate:

I have 6 PSDs in my family. Mine, and one other one with 380k on original injectors are the only ones that smoke cold. Unless you're talking about vapor when it's 1% humidity and -25 out == a different kind of "smoke" entirely.

TyCorr

Reaction score
I.agree with certain injectors sucking the dong at idle in cold conditions(if you live down south im not referring to you. 30 is NOT cold btw. If your truck smokes in the 30-50 deg range its just a unmaintained pile) as ive seen it. My ffd 250/200 were horrendous. Swamps injectors NEVER did. My 175/80s idled great.all the time. Smoke under 30 deg was pretty bad. Burn the eyes.

My current injectors are pis 250/200s and they idle like butter. Cold, cool,.warm, or hot they idle greeeeat. There is obviously some attention paid to the injectors operation at idle by Tim @pis. I cant say if they are better than swamps as my truck has totally different fuel and oil since the days I ran swamps injectors.

Ill tell you my truck smoked like a.nervous whore in church even with ad's(stock and 30% nozzles). Deleted aih, ccv, and 5" sewer pipe exhaust makes.all these things worse, for sure.

V-Ref

Reaction score
Couldnt be happier with cold starting, idle quality, and smoke control with Unlimited Diesel 400cc/200% Hybrids, Swamps HVHF IDM, and Gearhead tuning.

mandkole

Reaction score
Idle is pretty respectable, they manage the hot oil good and do whats asked of them, but ever since Ive owned this truck ive not been impressed with the cold starts.

Ive given thought to trying other tunes (Bills live tuning runs more PW at cold idle then Ive been used to with Tonys tunes for the new ACs in the OBS) but, its likely the injector. Its a play truck that gets driven 3-4K/yr so I live with it.

maplemale

Reaction score
Couldnt be happier with cold starting, idle quality, and smoke control with Unlimited Diesel 400cc/200% Hybrids, Swamps HVHF IDM, and Gearhead tuning.

I think I've decided, if I have to pull these out, i'm not putting them back in regardless. I'll be switching to Unlimited hybrids. Have already been told they'll just charge me the difference + shipping. No way I'm doing the whole injector change again unless it's a major upgrade! :drool:

bruce

Reaction score
I think I've decided, if I have to pull these out, i'm not putting them back in regardless. I'll be switching to Unlimited hybrids. Have already been told they'll just charge me the difference + shipping. No way I'm doing the whole injector change again unless it's a major upgrade! :drool:

Are you gonna add more air, oil and fuel? You don't have enough of any of those to support a set of hybrids right now.

79jasper

Reaction score
I get what Bruce is saying. But why get a injector that will barely get you by, then have to go even bigger later. Vs hybrids and being detuned, until you can upgrade air, oil, and fuel.

Sent from my SM-T537R4 using Tapatalk

V-Ref

Reaction score
If you use Taptalk the video links don't work....but a regular browser the video links do work.

http://powerstrokearmy.com/forums/showthread.php?p=902905

maplemale

Reaction score
So... an update cause a few things just happened.

Got more tunes from Larz who wants to spend some more time working on this before we scrap the injectors. Though, my heart's already set on it at this point and already got the budget past the wifey. :naughty: Haven't told him yet, cause I want to try it again in the morning when it's good and cold, but it didn't seem like the new tunes did anything at all.

Also, I went ahead and bought a daily driver tune from Bill (PowerHungry) just to test it. Interesting... aside from sounding completely different and killing the engine when I switch between Bill's and Matt's tunes, it didn't change a whole lot, but did seem to have a little less smoke at cold idle. It was 70+ degrees in Denver today, so it's hard to say cause it doesn't smoke much at 70 anyway. But, it did seem like less smoke on Bill's tunes. Oh... and I have to say I do like Matt's shifting better now that I've driven both. Maybe just personal preference. But, I don't like to feel it shift. :p

New issue: I started getting romps. 3 - 4 romps after it starts. I've had weak batteries for a while, so the first time this happened (5 days ago at 20 degrees), I just changed em with Interstate G65s from Costco. But, then tonight it romped again at 55 degrees out - 4 times with new batteries. Maybe the romp is completely unrelated. Who knows. Time to check the ICP and IPR again I guess. Not really sure what to check there yet...

Friday an ass load of new parts arrive. Had planned on some upgrades early 2015 and I'm tired of working on lame things that just piss me off and aren't any fun anymore. So, the 4" exhaust, bellowed up-pipes, plenums, clamp kit and 6.0 MAP sensor comes Friday. Going to be a fun weekend spent in the garage! Maybe we'll pull the injectors anyway just to have a look if I'm in the mood for it - unlikely! The map sensor isn't something I've ever messed with. Just want the other sensor so I can read higher boost. Maybe it's the culprit and all this will just go away - I keep hoping. :blitzed:

Latest posts

Members online