Boost question

gnxtc2

Reaction score
UPDATE:

Autometer warranteed the boost gauge and sent me a new one. Installed the new gauge and a pre-set 20psi air regulator from McMaster. Put everything in and went for a ride....holy sh!t, it spins the tires which the truck never did. Hitting 35lbs with ease. It runs so much better now but a new gremlin exposed itself.

This is all under full throttle. 1-2 shift is perfect. Shifts to 2nd and is now hitting the rev limiter at 3500 and won't shift unless I lift.....argggg!!!!! Under normal driving, the trans shifts fine. It never ends.

Billy T.
[email protected]

Last edited:

Swaan

Reaction score
4-5 years old. Trans shifts fine under light and moderate throttle. I'm wondering if it's tune related as I had a similiar trans shifting strategy under light throttle.

Billy T.
[email protected]

Should be able to get your tune adjusted for that 2-3 shift at a lower mph or rpm. Nothing wrong with your trans.
Glad you got it worked out.

Reaction score
UPDATE:

Autometer warranteed the boost gauge and sent me a new one. Installed the new gauge and a pre-set 20psi air regulator from McMaster. Put everything in and went for a ride....holy sh!t, it spins the tires which the truck never did. Hitting 35lbs with ease. It runs so much better now but a new gremlin exposed itself.

This is all under full throttle. 1-2 shift is perfect. Shifts to 2nd and is now hitting the rev limiter at 3500 and won't shift unless I lift.....argggg!!!!! Under normal driving, the trans shifts fine. It never ends.

Billy T.
[email protected]
So are you saying not only are you reading correct boost with warranted gauge, but you also gained performance, you believe by swapping to the regulator?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Krause

Reaction score
To address some of the misconceptions earlier in the thread, this has been kicked around a couple time in the past.

De-fueling may have Nothing to do with the tuner ******** that parameter or not. OBS's (which have a frequency based MAP) typically only throw an overboost code and are not capable of defueling. The SD's on the other hand have a voltage based MAP, and can also defuel the truck. However, on OBS's in particular, the MAP sensor dosnt like getting crammed with boost, and starts sending erratic signal to the PCM, which causes the bucking/defueling. It is defueling, but not on purpose, it's a symptom of the MAP loosing connection with PCM for a split second while being forced open (at 40-50psi) and defaulting. YOU CAN NOT TUNE THIS OUT, unless you tune the MAP out completely. The variety of feedback in this comes with the random condition of your frequency based MAP sensor, and whether it is feeling up to the task of keeping the signal or not. Some seem to be more tolerant than others, which is why some have reported 'no issues ever', which Im sorry to say doesnt mean anything <-- in this case you are lucky and you MAP is not arguring with your 45 psi, the next OBS down the road may NEED a boost fooler.

Install a boost fooler before the map to insure you dont find out how enduring your MAP sensor is. Mine was not very.. ask me how i know...

Last edited:

bluedge8

Reaction score
I have to get gauges on my obs, I am thinking my map might be screwing me too

bluedge8

Reaction score
No, but also stock inj's. Widen I really needed power it feel on its face

lincolnlocker

Reaction score

dafuq you say?

boost fooler will also keep the map sensor healthy.. as in it will only let so much pressure hit it so it doesn't get damaged...

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

bluedge8

Reaction score

Meant to say "when I really needed power it falls on its face" I was pulling the 5'vr home on saturday with the boat behind that and when I was trying to go up hill, it would violently loose power and I would have to get off cruise and slow down.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Meant to say "when I really needed power it falls on its face" I was pulling the 5'vr home on saturday with the boat behind that and when I was trying to go up hill, it would violently loose power and I would have to get off cruise and slow down.

boost fooler or hpo... any codes? or trip the cel

bluedge8

Reaction score
No codes, I put an adrenaline on it last fall as well as super duty fuel pump e fuel. Both helped but didn't fix it. I'm taking it to the store, I'll throw the scan guage in and see what the hpo and duty cycle are

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
No codes, I put an adrenaline on it last fall as well as super duty fuel pump e fuel. Both helped but didn't fix it. I'm taking it to the store, I'll throw the scan guage in and see what the hpo and duty cycle are

need a boost fooler.. hpo would throw a cel

gnxtc2

Reaction score
So are you saying not only are you reading correct boost with warranted gauge, but you also gained performance, you believe by swapping to the regulator?

Yes. The Dieselsite Boost Fooler was installed on my truck by TS Performance back in the day when I had stock injectors and stock turbo.

Since owning my truck from new, I was never able to break the tires loose on dry pavement. Now, it breaks the tires loose. The only things I did to my truck was replace the gauge and replaced the Dieselsite boost fooler with a pre-set air regulator type.

I don't know what the Dieselsite valve is set at nor do I know how much air volume it can bleed off.

Just like Krause posted, when my truck was bucking it was possible the MAP sensor was seeing close to 40 psi. I just didn't know because the gauge wasn't working. Plus, I'm now able to read the correct boost. It easily goes to 35lbs.

I got ahold of Cale. He's going to adjust the shift points and rpm limiter in the tunes.

Billy T.
[email protected]

Last edited:

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Yes. The Dieselsite Boost Fooler was installed on my truck by TS Performance back in the day when I had stock injectors and stock turbo.

Since owning my truck from new, I was never able to break the tires loose on dry pavement. Now, it breaks the tires loose. The only things I did to my truck was replace the gauge and replaced the Dieselsite boost fooler with a pre-set air regulator type.

I don't know what the Dieselsite valve is set at nor do I know how much air volume it can bleed off.

Just like Krause posted, when my truck was bucking it was possible the MAP sensor was seeing close to 40 psi. I just didn't know because the gauge wasn't working. Plus, I'm now able to read the correct boost. It easily goes to 35lbs.

I got ahold of Cale. He's going to adjust the shift points and rpm limiter in the tunes.

Billy T.
[email protected]
diesel sites fooler is basically a small blow off valve and above 22psi, it creates a boost leak.. so the other styles are a bit better.. especially the riffraff one.. or the diy with the small regulator for an air tank.. those are set at 22psi, dont leak of extra pressure and only let a max of 22psi hit the map sensor..

I have the old school way on whitey.. I put a resistor inline with the map sensor wires so it thinks it's at 22psi max all the time.. I honestly could just pull the map sensor off and leave the resistor hooked up and it wouldn't matter or read any different..

Swaan

Reaction score
Before i put the regulator in the map line my truck would defuel and buck violently as soon as i went past 35 psi.

JD3020

Reaction score
Its interesting that OBS's act so different truck to truck. My 97 would hit 40-50psi all day long with stock tuning, ******** tunes, and then my own tunes at the end. No type of regulator, and 0 defueling or anything. Would occasionally throw a CEL for overboost, but not all the time. I have the EBP line tied into the MAP line, so EPB would max at 48(?), and MAP would max at 22-25ish.

bluedge8

Reaction score
Well, after driving it empty last night, I think I have more problems then that, gotta get back under the hood and have a look around. I'm glad you are making forward progress Billy.