Bought an obs, holes in some pistons

java

Reaction score
Im sure once you get it running it'll be worth the headache. Good luck on it!

6.0 p-stroke

Reaction score
Thanks! I'll keep that in mind.

A buddy and I went over and pulled that engine this morning, it went a lot quicker now that we knew what to do. I'm gonna clean it up and probably drop it in the single cab sometime this week. I plan on sending the injectors out of the old engine to Casserly to be gone through. Once it's dropped in I can start diagnosing the no start issue and go from there.
5a2ugape.jpg

Last edited:

6.0 p-stroke

Reaction score
I spent a couple hours pressure washing the new engine, and pulling the turbo and up pipes. I decided I wanted to drop it in tonight so I can spend the week nights trying to get it running. It fought us quite bit but it finally dropped into place.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1348453426.247712.jpg

6.0 p-stroke

Reaction score
I got the tranny all bolted up along with the wiring harness. I dropped two batteries in and started to crank on it with no accessories. I had to use the worse of the two pedestals and tap to put a plug in to keep the oil feed from spraying everywhere. I wasn't able to get it to start or fire, I also wasn't building any oil pressure on the dash after cranking awhile. I know its gotta fill up the rails but I gave up for the night. I really hope the pick up tube in the pan isn't cracked, I'll probably put a scanner on it tomorrow so I can see what's going on with it.

TARM

Reaction score
Pull the ICP sensor and the rail plug on the other head and fill them both up with oil. Then fill the HPOP res thru the oil pressure sensor. Give it a few bumps and fill it some more. Do that till it stays within a 1" of the top. If should fire right up with in 5 seconds that way.

6.0 p-stroke

Reaction score
When I pulled the icp sensor and the plug both rails were full of oil. I cranked on it quite a bit and still got nothing. I'm getting fuel up to the filter but I can't tell if there's any smoke coming out of the exhaust manifolds. This engine seems to have some blowby (I'm not sure how much is normal for a 7.3) but it will puff quite a bit of smoke out of the oil return on the turbo pedestal and out of the oil fill cap when I take it off. I was having trouble getting the scanner to read icp so I really don't know what it's doing, I did swap the icp sensor from the old engine just in case and it didn't change anything.

Can anyone tell me what the wires are that go to the bottom of the fuel filter housing? There is a wire that I can see at the bottom that is almost broke, idk if it's just a temp sensor or what, it's not a part of the main wiring harness.

6.0 p-stroke

Reaction score
I thought it was something like that, just didn't know for sure.
When I tried spraying a little starting fluid while cranking it just slowed the cranking down but didn't even attempt to fire. I'm not really sure what to try next, I'd hate to spend a bunch of time working in the wrong direction.

davey99ps

Reaction score
Yea, that's where I'd start, since its not doing anything with starting fluid. Is it turning over fast enough when your spraying it? I know you said it slowed down, which i would also assume that theres some compression

TARM

Reaction score
I agree start with checking compression. NO use putting any time into getting it to run if you got basic issues like that.

Latest posts

Members online