Bought an obs, holes in some pistons

6.0 p-stroke

Reaction score
Ok a little update on this, since I bought an 03 single cab this truck will be my little sisters back up/ family back up truck. After finding out the engine we put in it was toast I lost motivation, we got it pulled the other day and my dad started asking me about putting a cummins in it. So now we're weighing the options of dropping a cummins in it and would probably ditch the 4R100 in favor of an nv4500 or similar. What are some of your thoughts on this?

85_305

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Wow you really are getting shafted with that truck man... sorry to hear.

As far as a cummins, horrible idea. Why would you want to take a step back in terms of technology? You could just as easily swap in another 7.3

6.0 p-stroke

Reaction score
So far I'm not really out any money on parts. If everything works out I should be getting a 12 valve with 47rh tranny for a steal, I can rebuild it completely for the cost of just the rebuild kit for the 7.3. I'm not 100% on the conversion, but like I said if everything works out it could be done fairly inexpensively and it would be a badass truck once complete.

85_305

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Why would it be a badass truck once completed? Because it's got up to 60hp less than your 7.3 does stock? Because the egt's will run up fast as hell? because its getting a conversion that 1000's of others have? Because it has a tranny even more frail than your stock 7.3 tranny, and will require more building than your e4od to handle any power?

6.0 p-stroke

Reaction score
The plan is to keep it fairly stock, reliability and drivability are key. We've got plenty of modified vehicles that go fast, it's not like we're going to put 5x.018s and a big single on it. In our area there's are very few cummins conversions, I can only count a couple off the top of my head so I believe it'll be a head turner.

Andy I don't even know what it's worth, I need to verify its a 4R and not an e4OD

85_305

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
If you have an obs, it's an e4od. And believe me, it doesnt take much to crack a 47re. A turned up pump and that tranny is living on borrowed time. And to build it up, its not just vb/tc like an e4od/4r100... its vb/tc/gears/input shaft.

6.0 p-stroke

Reaction score
Look what I got :D
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353355088.100790.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353355100.261492.jpg

Cat_rebel

Reaction score
Coop, nice score on the Dodge. That's the best way to do it. Don't be scared of the 47rh, it's a good tranny with a little love. If you're really on a budget you can rig up OD & TC on switches. Although the controller isn't priced out too badly.

6.0 p-stroke

Reaction score
I'm hoping to be able to come out ahead when I sell the rolling chassis, it's fairly straight with no major dents. I'll be swapping on a good hx35 (the current one is trashed) and running a compression test before we pull the engine. My dad found an adapter that will allow us to run the ford transfer case. If anyone knows of a place that sells engine mounts I'd like to know about it, I've looked online but haven't found anything for an obs, I don't want to have to make mounts.

85_305

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Coop, nice score on the Dodge. That's the best way to do it. Don't be scared of the 47rh, it's a good tranny with a little love. If you're really on a budget you can rig up OD & TC on switches. Although the controller isn't priced out too badly.

Don't lie to him, the 47s are terrible. Unless you get a good vb, tc, steel gears, input shaft, and aftermarket cooler those things are bombs waiting to go off. They need a lot more work than an e4od does to stay together

Cat_rebel

Reaction score
Don't lie to him, the 47s are terrible. Unless you get a good vb, tc, steel gears, input shaft, and aftermarket cooler those things are bombs waiting to go off. They need a lot more work than an e4od does to stay together

Don't lie to him? I'm sorry but, I guess the dozens of people that I know running around every day with lightly built 47s aren't making over 150hp. :shrug: I can find you more than enough failed E4ODs & 4R100s that never saw 300hp. For the cost of building a good 47rh you will still be ahead of buying a adapter plate & PCS + building your E4OD/4R100 to run behind the Cummins.

85_305

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Don't lie to him? I'm sorry but, I guess the dozens of people that I know running around every day with lightly built 47s aren't making over 150hp. :shrug: I can find you more than enough failed E4ODs & 4R100s that never saw 300hp. For the cost of building a good 47rh you will still be ahead of buying a adapter plate & PCS + building your E4OD/4R100 to run behind the Cummins.

Not true. My cousin is on his third tranny and when he toasted it the final time, it cost $3500 to build it. I can have an e4od built to handle the same power for about $600. A $200 vb and a $400tc.

it is known that the input shafts are glass, the vb's are terrible, the tc's are terrible, and they run hot out of the box. stock vs stock the e4od is much tougher.

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
Why would it be a badass truck once completed? Because it's got up to 60hp less than your 7.3 does stock? Because the egt's will run up fast as hell? because its getting a conversion that 1000's of others have? Because it has a tranny even more frail than your stock 7.3 tranny, and will require more building than your e4od to handle any power?

You've never owned a 12v, have you? LOL

85_305

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
You've never owned a 12v, have you? LOL

Judging by my signature, I'd say I have... for whatever the relevance is? And I live about 10mins away from the biggest puller in the area (brothers diesel) who's a bunch of cummins nuts, and wont touch their autos.

Latest posts

Members online