build the 7.3, or buy a 6.4

• Build the 7.3

Votes: 54 55.1%
  • Buy the 6.4

Votes: 44 44.9%

• Total voters

Beanhead

Reaction score
In ten years some will be having this same conversation! Should I keep my 6.4,6.7 or get a newer 7.3. Lol

SickStroke6.0

Reaction score
So I brought this up on the "Diesel Bombers" Facebook page, with all the butthurt Cummins owners who think they know everything about diesels. Some guy replied and said that you can build a 7.3L with a stock turbo and swap in a Alison transmission and make over 600 HP, so it would be stupid to sell a 7.3L... LOL

powerSmokin

Reaction score
So I brought this up on the "Diesel Bombers" Facebook page, with all the butthurt Cummins owners who think they know everything about diesels. Some guy replied and said that you can build a 7.3L with a stock turbo and swap in a Alison transmission and make over 600 HP, so it would be stupid to sell a 7.3L... LOL

What an idiot, did you tell him pigs fly out of your arse which gives your truck 50 more hp? Lol

Diezel Dawg

Reaction score
In have contemplated this same thing. My truck has given few issues at its 550+HP level. Definitely as they get older they give you fits. If i could sell mine for what I want, pay off a bill with that money then a truck payment wouldn't hurt. Just waiting for the right person to come at me with the right amount and them find a 6.4 for the right price.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

Tree Trimmer

Reaction score
just read this thread, and it seems your missing one thing in you math, comparing your truck to a newer one.

your guessing 20k or so to get your truck to where you want it.

if your the same guy, (there have been a few of you contemplating value of your truck) who thinks he can get around 15k for his current one,

your math thus far has been 20k on this truck or 20k for a newer one.

take the 20k your going to dump into your 7.3, the 15k your hoping to get for yours if you sell it, spend a additional 2k on the various deletes and tuner, and get a newer one. that's a real nice truck for 37k.

can you afford a 2k truck payment?? as that would be all that you have out of pocket, after the sale of your current one, if you spend every dime on it.

or, if you find some deals like sledpull did, you could be into a tuned/deleted 6.4 and BE MONEY ahead, using the same math i did previously, thus allowing you to pay down/off the various bills you wanted to pay.

just a thought.

how much do you love your truck now?? still want to keep it??

on edit: THAT was some Edward Jones thinking. :D

Last edited:

campbellflage

Reaction score
just read this thread, and it seems your missing one thing in you math, comparing your truck to a newer one.

your guessing 20k or so to get your truck to where you want it.

if your the same guy, (there have been a few of you contemplating value of your truck) who thinks he can get around 15k for his current one,

your math thus far has been 20k on this truck or 20k for a newer one.

take the 20k your going to dump into your 7.3, the 15k your hoping to get for yours if you sell it, spend a additional 2k on the various deletes and tuner, and get a newer one. that's a real nice truck for 37k.

can you afford a 2k truck payment?? as that would be all that you have out of pocket, after the sale of your current one, if you spend every dime on it.

or, if you find some deals like sledpull did, you could be into a tuned/deleted 6.4 and BE MONEY ahead, using the same math i did previously, thus allowing you to pay down/off the various bills you wanted to pay.

just a thought.

how much do you love your truck now?? still want to keep it??

on edit: THAT was some Edward Jones thinking. :D

Yeah, your forgeting a key thing here... That 20k or so is not going to be spent all at once. Even if I did sell my truck it would probably go for 11ish or so. So to get what I want (crew cab drw) it would be in the 30's. So 19k payment. I have decided no payment is where its at for me right now, and buy some things I want when I have saved up the money. Maybe when I finish up with my masters, I'll move on, but for now, Ill keep rockin the 7.3

Tree Trimmer

Reaction score
thats kind of where i was goin with it.

your already going to spend it over time.

spend if over the next 4 or 5 years on a new truck.

that's the part you missed. your already going to be spending it, i just changed what your spending it on.

cjfarm11

Reaction score
I own a built 7.3 and over the years have upgraded alot of things including interior and stereo and headlights and bumpers and so on. I also have drove many 6.4's and 6.7's. All are very great rigs that have tons of positive selling points. That being said i still like the ol 7.3. i would keep my 7.3 and built it a little at a time. the newer engines make great power by doing nothing really but i like the sound of a true diesel and the little bit of smoke that they produce when under load. Im a die hard FORD guy but in the diesel world the 7.3 is still king in mt opinion.

campbellflage

Reaction score
I own a built 7.3 and over the years have upgraded alot of things including interior and stereo and headlights and bumpers and so on. I also have drove many 6.4's and 6.7's. All are very great rigs that have tons of positive selling points. That being said i still like the ol 7.3. i would keep my 7.3 and built it a little at a time. the newer engines make great power by doing nothing really but i like the sound of a true diesel and the little bit of smoke that they produce when under load. Im a die hard FORD guy but in the diesel world the 7.3 is still king in mt opinion.

Yeah, I think they all would be great, obviously more power outta the newer ones, better ride, interior... but this one just has a little sentimental value to me...

03 tx pwr stroke

Reaction score
Keep the 7.3, as is. Go buy a 6.4. Then go buy a 6.0, then a 6.7. Keep em all. If we are gonna talk hypotheticals, why not try to own one of each?

campbellflage

Reaction score
Keep the 7.3, as is. Go buy a 6.4. Then go buy a 6.0, then a 6.7. Keep em all. If we are gonna talk hypotheticals, why not try to own one of each?

I mean if I was rich sure I'd have a giant garage full of them, but lets be realistic here. thats never gonna happen so ill just keep the old fat bottom girl and give her a facelift.

cjfarm11

Reaction score
Plus if something were to happen to my 7.3 i myself could fix it. Try that on a 6.4 or 6.7. Not easily do without some pretty expensive tools. Or the labor would kill ya.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.