Building of a I/O pontoon

TurboM700

Reaction score
Few videos from this weekend. Spent all 3 days out on her burnt 30 gallons of fuel with no issues whats so ever.

Picked up a nice 4 blade prop off of CL this week for 100 bucks.
IMG_1749.jpg

Here is a video of the boats first time pulling anything. Did really well was very impressed.
th_IMG_1763.jpg

Just for fun this is a video of my wife riding the stand up for the first time. She did really well considering she usally doesnt like all my "stuipd" toys. I couldnt get her off the stuipd thing for rest the day.
th_IMG_1765.jpg

Last edited:

TurboM700

Reaction score
Hahaha Thats what my friends call the the stand up since its an 89. Forgot about that being in the video till now. Glad you like it.

TurboM700

Reaction score
Thought I would do a quick right up on polishing my pontoons toons.
My boat is a 89 Bass Buggy that I complete restored last yr.
(http://forums.iboats.com/completed-boat-projects/pontoon-conversion-inboard-outboard-573089.html)

I first started with getting the boat off the trailer
IMG_2543_zpsc70e66fa.jpg

IMG_2545_zpse912dcf3.jpg

Then I used some JJV’s pontoon cleaner. This stuff works awesome even on my old boat it took all the scale off and brought them to a nice dull finish. I went over each toon twice and I used a little less then a gallon. Well worth the 30 bucks.
IMG_2547_zpsd1caf0cd.jpg

After it dried I sanded the entire toon (everything I wanted to polish) with some 400 grit sand paper on a random orbital sander.

Next was onto the fun and dirty part. This will back your arm feel like jello and cover you head to toe with black dust. I wore Ear, Eye, and respirator for the first half and will be switching to a full face shield for the 2nd half.
I purchased all my polishing products from here. I had the 6” grinder that I use on metal so I didn’t need that.
http://www.buschshineproducts.com/aluminum-compound-kitshand-held-buffer-p-137.html

Started with the Yellow pad and the Brown Bar, working from bottom to the top of the boat. Stopping every 16” to clean the pad and apply more compound. Very important to clean the pad every so often as it will get aluminum build up on it and actually scratch the toons.
Next was onto the Off white pad and white bar. This brought it upto where you see it now.
I did all this in about 2hrs (sanding and the 2 polishing)
Next step will be a final polish then a quick hand polish. All said and done I should have 10hrs into both toons front and back and the sides.
IMG_2549_zps41e32547.jpg

IMG_2550_zpsaa7f36f8.jpg

IMG_2552_zps3ab15896.jpg

IMG_2551_zps0220a3d7.jpg

IMG_2554_zps706a7c27.jpg

TurboM700

Reaction score
you better get that done asap, supposed to snow in a day or two:lookaround:

btw, looks great!!

Yay tell me about it. I have had the boat out since April 1st and I'm getting alittle sick of scraping snow off the cover. :doh::doh::doh:
That thing is awesome. How did I miss this thread?

Thanks its been alot of fun. I still have few more things left to do.

Building a Wakeboard tower/bimini top and shes get a 350hp Mercruiser Mag motor.

24PONTOON_zps8e51a527.jpg

WILD_PHIL

Reaction score
This is bad a$$. I plan on doing a pontoon project next year. Nothing as awesome as this though.

Learning about TDI's.

TurboM700

Reaction score
First off thanks for all the compliments. I really appericate them.
It’s been an interesting summer with it. Spent this spring/winter (we had snow into may) polishing the toons and skinning the underside of the boat. Went to a SBC early in the yr that I ended up spinning a main bearing on it so I put the 4cyl back in.
Need a new Bimini top as the old one from the boat well was old. Also wanted a wakeboard tower and a place to hanger speakers also wanted nice rolled tubing. Didn’t want to spend a arm and a leg on a bender so I made my own. This was the end result. Some pics of the build and the end result.
IMG_2653_zps766bd48c.jpg

IMG_2654_zps904d5ead.jpg

IMG_2657_zps6bc28f9d.jpg

In the garge all welded up with the speakers and top on. Right before paint.
IMG_2735_zps01bcbaa2.jpg

A week before memorial weekend the Wife and I closed on a cabin 2hrs north of where we live on a nice lake. Since then the truck and Boat stay up there. Instead of driving the truck home I use my car and trailer to bring the tower up.
IMG_2760_zps995654e7.jpg

Tower on the boat. Really like the way it turned out. I can pull to pins on the top and the bimini goes from 8’x12’ to 8’x6’. From there I can pull to more pins on the bottom and the entire thing tips back and the speaker rest on the swim platfourm.
IMG_2762_zps440f9ee8.jpg

Next on the list was to get the bow up. Made a hydro foil for it and got almost 10mph more out of her.
IMG_2823_zpsb5abc4ac.jpg

IMG_2762_zps440f9ee8.jpg
[/URL]
Here is a video this is with the 4cyl in it.
th_IMG_2826_zps6b16c2e1.jpg

Over the summer I kept my eye on CL for a cheap v8 boat so I could take all the running gear off the boat and install it in mine. (really wanted power steering).
2 weeks ago I found this on CL the lady said it ran put need a floor. She was asking 1k for it. After looking it over it had a cracked block outdrive was shot but everything was there. Gave her 200 bucks for it.
IMG_2856_zpsffe0d3f9.jpg

“removed” the motor the easy way.
IMG_2870_zpsaed173c7.jpg

Sold the trailer two days later with the boat on it for a grand. (800 dollars profit) Once again I looked on CL for a cheap motor and ended up finding to 5.7lSBC out of a house boat gave the guy 200 bucks for them.
IMG_2893_zps6de842bf.jpg

They hadn’t been run for a while but compression checked out OK. My plan is to get one running and sell it off and then rebuild the other one. Running marine SBC go for about a grand around here. The 2nd motor I’m thinking alum heads and intake a nice marine cam and call her good. I also im going to install a 3rd pontoon that goes all the way back to the motor pod along with lifting strakes on all the toons. I’m pushing for 50mph out of her next yr.

O yea some pictures of the boat on Labor Day weekend this yr. 700 people on a sand bar with not a cloud =good times.
Wife infront of the boat.
IMG_2883_zpsa8a29f95.jpg

Friends on the boat.
IMG_2881_zpsedbb7e81.jpg

A little beer bong off the back.
IMG_2885_zps8a8ac45d.jpg

TurboM700

Reaction score
Bought a cabin on Red Sand lake in Brainerd and those pictures are from gull lake which is less than 3 miles from our cabin.

bluedge8

Reaction score
Very nice, I haven't heard of that lake but I love the area, a buddy has a cabin by Outing, MN, that would be my dream area if I was ever able to buy a lake property

WILD_PHIL

Reaction score
How much did that motor that is currently in the boat weigh?

Learning about TDI's.

On edit: How much does the marine 350 and the 6 banger weigh? Interested in doing something similar with a 4bt if possible. I also found a Cummins v8 555 marine engine, but I havent checked the weight on it yet.

Last edited:

TurboM700

Reaction score
How much did that motor that is currently in the boat weigh?

Learning about TDI's.

On edit: How much does the marine 350 and the 6 banger weigh? Interested in doing something similar with a 4bt if possible. I also found a Cummins v8 555 marine engine, but I havent checked the weight on it yet.

No idea on the 4cyl but I'm guessing 400 pounds.

A SBC with alum intake and heads is right around 450 pounds figure another 100 for exhaust manifolds and accessory and your right at the 600 mark.

I looked into the diesel thing as I thought it would be cool but there was way to many cons then pros
cons
Heavy
Limited rpm range so would need a transmission (heavy)
Smelly (didnt want this in a pontoon)
Noisey
Getting a outdrive to handle the power would be expensive at a minium your looking at a bravo drive and they get close to 10k for just the drive,

Pros,
Would be cool to have a diesel pontoon but a supercharged one would be just as cool:evil:evil:evil:evil:evil:evil:evil

If I was going todo a diesel in a smaller boat I would look at a VW tdi as they are lighter weight and have good RPM band up to 5k. Can easily push 150hp out of them and they seem to be quieter then most diesels.

Just my 2 cents.

Mike

WILD_PHIL

Reaction score
I didnt even think about a TDI. Much better option then a 4bt. Its probably a pipe dream anyhow. I am currently lookjng for a 24' or bigger. Found a 26' with a 115hp out board for 5k in pretty good condition. Think I might pick it up if I cant find a better deal. I love how you pieced this one together and still made good money on the unused parts.

TurboM700

Reaction score
I didnt even think about a TDI. Much better option then a 4bt. Its probably a pipe dream anyhow. I am currently lookjng for a 24' or bigger. Found a 26' with a 115hp out board for 5k in pretty good condition. Think I might pick it up if I cant find a better deal. I love how you pieced this one together and still made good money on the unused parts.

Thank you

A TDI in a 24' boat might be a little under size but thats just me. I really want to build a small TDI jet boat. Something in the 12-14' range. We have alot of small rivers/streams up here I just think it would be sweet to haul ass up one of those listening to the sound of a turbo singing along.

I often get alot of grief from my wife and friends about the stuff I bring home,fix and then sell but at the end of the day this has allowed me to build one sweet pontoon along with many other toys I have laying around.

After 5yrs of marriage she has finally stopped asking why and says have fun.

TurboM700

Reaction score
Not really had a custom prop made to give more bow lift now does a little over 30 with the 4cyl in it.

Other then that been busy building a 12v excusrion, building a pole building, started a new job, and getting ready for our little one being born in Novemeber

I have a bravo 1 and ls1 sitting in my shed at home ready to go in the boat just need to find the time and energy todo it.

Mike

Members online

No members online now.